Bad News!!!! Bline motorsports catless

velocity550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The EPA is definitely targeting smaller businesses first. Its because they are easier to manipulate, it is sad to see these almost mafia like actions that the EPA is committing. This is why everyone has to do their part and support the RPM act!!

https://www.motortrend.com/news/epa-fines-tuning-shop/
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yep I work in the automotive aftermarket- the EPA started cracking down years ago

The "coal rollers" got their attention- they went after all the diesel guys first and once they got some of that sweet sweet fine money from a bunch of people- they started going after everyone

The good news tons of CARB legal parts being produced to make your car faster- but yeah no more parts that delete catalytic converters

and to the comment they are only going after small companies- nope they are going after the big ones too

Here is an article- for example MagnaFlow (which is definitely a larger company) was fined over 600K for building parts with no converters- and then the EPA went after them a second time over universal pipes for hot rods because people using them as off road pipes

Enormous EPA Fines Could Signal Beginning Of End Of Aftermarket Parts (motorbiscuit.com)
Never quite got the coal rollers thing a curiosity for sure .

Please define how you're using or mean "hot rods" as in vintage or late model cars ?

TKS

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
Never quite got the coal rollers thing a curiosity for sure .

Please define how you're using or mean "hot rods" as in vintage or late model cars ?

TKS
Hot rods as vintage cars- so it was a bunch of universal stainless steel pipes and mandrel bent turns so that people could build an exhaust kits for custom classic/vintage cars - sounds like the EPA didnt like that

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Looks like the only hope now for those of use who want to keep a warranty are the ridiculously priced Fabspeed 200 cell High flow cats.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know or have a link to the legality behind this all?

For registered vehicles, it makes sense. But where is the law that dictates emission standards for non-road use vehicles?

This doesn't surprise me in the Dictatorship of California but I'm shocked this is nationwide.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red

For registered vehicles, it makes sense. But where is the law that dictates emission standards for non-road use vehicles?

This doesn't surprise me in the Dictatorship of California but I'm shocked this is nationwide.
If it has a ever had a VIN basically. There is no changing a passenger car to off road use and be legal. You monkey with the CAT for non-service related issues and you are illegal. You can only replace a CAT with a stock unit. So...no aftermarket CATs at all. You couldn't even use a GT500 CAT on a 350. Has to be OEM for the car.

Some places have sniffers that detect transgressors as they drive past and they are fined via the mail.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
If it has a ever had a VIN basically. There is no changing a passenger car to off road use and be legal. You monkey with the CAT for non-service related issues and you are illegal. You can only replace a CAT with a stock unit. So...no aftermarket CATs at all. You couldn't even use a GT500 CAT on a 350. Has to be OEM for the car.

Some places have sniffers that detect transgressors as they drive past and they are fined via the mail.
And this is the case even if the vehicle is registered as non-operational?
Seems crazy that states that don't even require smog checks for registration still have to comply with this.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda

Www.werefuckeddotcom.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
And this is the case even if the vehicle is registered as non-operational?
Seems crazy that states that don't even require smog checks for registration still have to comply with this.
It has to be purpose built as off-road and neve had a VIN issued.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hot rods as vintage cars- so it was a bunch of universal stainless steel pipes and mandrel bent turns so that people could build an exhaust kits for custom classic/vintage cars - sounds like the EPA didnt like that

I not sure they will be able to pull that off, 50 + year old cars, cannot see it.

We'll see ..

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It's always the assholes that ruin it for everyone. Coal rollers and street racers.

That said probably 80% of those that get catless/testpipes probably rarely go to a track or spend most days driving around small neighborhoods making noises and pissing off neighbors. Much as I love the sound of a V8 I hear a guy down the street every night at 11PM pulling in his SN95 GT. I can understand why people get pissed off at the community when their main experience that comes to mind for them is asshats that are always loud and not the guy that just mildly rumbled buy.

That said there is no way for a shop to know you are going to use a part on a real race car or a daily driver, so its no surprise that they are being forced to remove those parts. We all know that someone will be lying about it and the problem would just keep going on. The only "work around" could think of is if they created a special registration for you to put a actual race car under for a special plate and they somehow must flag it so police can pull it over on the street as an off-road vehicle, and you can provide a shop to show you at least HAVE that type of registration. But even then, how many would do that? I'm sure most sales are to people that daily or regularly drive their car, so that would kill the shops sales on the part anyway. Driving up prices or they would just stop making it.

Personally, I think they should just get better at flagging off-road only parts on inspections and failing people for them. Or make people pay an added Exception fee.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I would like to see evidence of this.
This was how they initially caught VW with its emissions issue. a guy had a road side sniffer and was getting weird numbers when VW cars went by. They kept claiming his type of sniffer wasnt accurate because VW's were passing emissions tests. Turned out he was right and they were cheating.

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Alrighty then. :like:
Sponsored