Bad ford quality, Cars to replace my S550 GT

Future cars

• Total voters

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Sadly, I am just waiting on my new Golf R to arrive to trade it in. Sorry guys.
Nothing to be sorry about. Golf R is awesome. One of my favorite cars that I owned was a VR6 GTI. My very favorite was a S14 240sx, which should make a GR86 ideal for me, but I’m still loving this pony for now.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Nothing to be sorry about. Golf R is awesome. One of my favorite cars that I owned was a VR6 GTI. My very favorite was a S14 240sx, which should make a GR86 ideal for me, but I’m still loving this pony for now.
My ideal track slut would be a Mazda rx8 with a Ford Ecoboost 2.3 with a sequential at about 450 wheel. Lightweight and toss able. I have been REALLY close to pulling the trigger on a few of them but even scrap yard pricing went bonkers

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
The post said the dealership would not acknowledge some of the problems, but they still quoted a 4-week repair time. If AE is the issue, then pull the fuse and it will fail to normal and take it in when the parts come in. The wires for AE have been known to rub against the exhaust and burn through on occasion, especially with a modified exhaust. I don't mean to insult but something does not pass the smell test.
A lot of times we as car enthusiast know more about the problem than the techs do. I bet if you mention that the AE is "known" to rub against the body of the car. More than half of them won`t know what you are talking about. Good chance not a single tech will even know anything about it. Which is why they have no idea how much time it will take and just give a blanket statement of 4 weeks.

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
I modified the car myself so I know the parts well. Obviously inspected. Tune is obviously professional, and none of my problems are with the motor or calibration. Clean history too. I’m just getting tired of the s550 platform. Owned one for 6 years prior.
So the title of your post should have been have been "Tired of my s550 and looking for a replacement"

Sponsored

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
My ideal track slut would be a Mazda rx8 with a Ford Ecoboost 2.3 with a sequential at about 450 wheel. Lightweight and toss able. I have been REALLY close to pulling the trigger on a few of them but even scrap yard pricing went bonkers
I would need Zoloft for that situation, but bless you brother! I’d love to see that out in the wild.

stars_fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
21 GT PP1, 20 Tesla M3P & 21 Ducati SFV4S
C7 Z51 with the 7 speed is a great car. I just came from one. I couldn’t pass up selling it for the prices used cars are going for these days.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Not sure about OP's motivation to sell but this was my 5th Mustang and I wanted to love it... but with just 5K miles on it, the built quality has given me too many problems already.

It would have been fine if service departments were up to help me through these issues but they can't even perform an oil change properly let alone diagnose driveline and electrical issues. Sadly, I am just waiting on my new Golf R to arrive to trade it in. Sorry guys.
Golf R is a beautiful car, great choice!

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's a very fast car, and I'm sure it's an absolute riot to drive, but beautiful? I, for one, wouldn't call it that. It looks just like a Golf, plus a few extra bits of trim that are supposed to make it look more "sporty" but don't actually do anything. It's not ugly by any means, but you wouldn't give it a second look if you saw it in the street. No Golf has ever turned my head.

Last edited:

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
I speak by having basically the same car (A250 with 724.003 gearbox and active suspensions) as the direct competitor to the Golf R (A35): german cars are absolutely refined to drive, absolute perfection, but boring. They lack soul.
Drove different generations of Golf and it's the same, except VW quality is much lower than Mercedes. The interior of the last two Golfs personally makes me sick.
The Mustang is not a refined car, but it puts a constant smile on your face while you drive.

Either one of the two car is a mistake if you are going from the Mustang 6g to the Golf R.
My Mercedes surely was, I'm keeping it because the wife prohibits me to sell it.

Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Has anyone else ditched the s550 for a more stout platform?
Sorry I didn't read all 7 pages of the thread, so forgive me if it's already been asked and answered, but how it the world do you break the clutch pedal? That's pretty robust stuff.

Anyway...

I voted C7. I had one. Aside from the build quality (albeit a bit better than the Mustang) and thin paint (on par with the Mustang) and awful road noise (worse than the Mustang) it is an awesome car, great platform, terrific track weapon. GM quality, natch.

I sold my 2020 Mustang GT Coupe not because I was unhappy with it, but because I sold it for more than I paid new, and wanted something different anyway, which ended up being the G82 BMW M4 (new generation with the big snout). It is a fabulous car, just freakin' awesome in every way except perhaps exhaust sound, but then it's twice the price of the GT so it should be better.

I sold it because - guess - yes, I got more for it than I paid, after driving it for 7K miles. Free car rental for nearly a year, LOL.

I wouldn't get the E90, because they are getting older, and that's when BMWs get really pricey to maintain, and the F80 is pretty good but they are holding their values extremely well, and for the money, I think you'll be happier with the Corvette.

FWIW, I've driven the GT coupe, Z51 C7 and M4 on the track. The C7 and M4 can be used out-of-the-box with no mods. The Mustang required substantial brake mods to survive (it was not a PP car).

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sorry I didn't read all 7 pages of the thread, so forgive me if it's already been asked and answered, but how it the world do you break the clutch pedal? That's pretty robust stuff.
It isn't. In the S550 Ford cheaped out on the welds. There's a weld that will fail sooner or later, and the pedal will break in two. Known issue.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It is a fabulous car, just freakin' awesome in every way except perhaps exhaust sound,
... and looks.

Untitled.png

I would have never thought that someone will ever be able to top Chris Bangle, but somehow they managed to. I find this new grille even more repulsive than Bangle's monstrosities.

Last edited:

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I have to agree with prior comments about quality. Decades ago, one could certainly criticize American manufacturing quality and be well supported. Today, sorry, if you're looking for a brand that offers superior quality in this category, or for that matter upstream, you'll have a long search. They all have their issues...the playing field is pretty darn level these days.

Homebrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR,18 EB Vert,12 GT500 Vert, 05 V6 Vert