Sponsored

Bad Exhaust VVT Solenoid / Since I bought the car and finally looked into it at 40,000 miles.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Had some time to hand my car over to the Ford dealer for some TLC. Had the transmission serviced and a few TSB's taken care. However, I brought up the concern I had always had. The VCT Solenoid noise I would hear inside a drive thru when I went driving.

The team wasn't able to replicate, so they asked for me to come down and try it out. Within seconds caught the sound with a bump to 1500rpm's and softly letting off the exhaust. The ford tech heard it on both of the Exhaust solenoids. So, i'm pretty stoked with the end result. We are finally going to get this issue taken care of and I will update this thread with any of the other info that comes in the door. I always knew this was an off sound and its not the TICK. On either the Transmission housing near the starter or from the oil pan. This is a wincing metal sound when deaccelerating from a low 1500-1600rpm.

Just glad to be able to have this covered by the powertrain warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cocopanda

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
2 Months later and we are finally done.

Problem? VVT Exhaust Selonoid was causing a odd sound. When I let go of gas off a slow pull to a driver thru window or similar short take off. And theres a wall next to you to hear it better.

I did not report piston slap. Which the techs tried telling me. There was nothing they could replicate. Before I just did it for them.

The team did an awesome job and we took our time with the car. Ended up getting her back and they did a transmission service, alignment that found issues caused by the original ford dealership. They had to install a camber bolt on the Front Driver Wheel. Where they grinded down the mount point 1mm to better get to the proper camber point for the car.

Now let's talk about what this car has had fixed.

Take off: I get power instantly now. No build up in the combustion with a delay to power.
Driving: I can smoooooothly prawl down the street now. With no weird shift points or issues with the transmission. The car is just beautiful on the road now. I can just flow to a stop now. It's like driving a different beast.

Slowing down: Shift points have become a new car. The engine and transmission software work together now in a much smoother fashion. No bad data from the sticky ports on the VVT exhaust side solenoids. Which is a big concern because the other new GT's on lot were making the same sound that the tech discovered.

If you ever here a weird sound from the top front of the motor when letting off gas at a low speed. Make sure you have the team look into the VVT selonoid after letting off gas at 2k revs at a stop. That's how we replicated at cold, warm and hot.

The engine and transmission are like a different horse now. Highly suggest everyone look for this sound if you hate your shift points on the A10 with the V8.

OP
OP
cocopanda

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
All Covered by Warranty of the 50K drivetrain.

OP
OP
cocopanda

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, there's no oil pressure when the VVT Solenoid makes that sound, the tech found. It's hidden in the text from the service.

IMG_2173.JPEG

IMG_2174.JPEG

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
As poorly written as that diag is, I can understand your confusion, but nowhere in there does is it indicate that there was no oil pressure. In fact, the end of that diag would indicate Ford denied it and that no repairs were actually performed and the noise you reported is a normal operating characteristic. This exact same issue plagued the Gen 2 3.5 ecoboost motor, it least for the first few years, and it too was determined to be a normal operating characteristic. Perhaps they performed an update and/or reset the adaptives and that is why you are noticing a difference?

Sponsored

OP
OP
cocopanda

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
As poorly written as that diag is, I can understand your confusion, but nowhere in there does is it indicate that there was no oil pressure. In fact, the end of that diag would indicate Ford denied it and that no repairs were actually performed and the noise you reported is a normal operating characteristic. This exact same issue plagued the Gen 2 3.5 ecoboost motor, it least for the first few years, and it too was determined to be a normal operating characteristic. Perhaps they performed an update and/or reset the adaptives and that is why you are noticing a difference?
I assure you. They swapped the Solenoid on the exhaust side of the banks on both sides. Tech service said the KNOCKING was normal. Which was not the issue. It was a noise caused during liftoff of the gas.

Last edited:

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I assure you. They swapped the Solenoid on the exhaust side of the banks on both sides. Tech service said the KNOCKING was normal. Which was not the issue. It was a noise caused during liftoff of the gas.
Well... your techs diag indicates that Ford says the VCT noise you had while letting off of the throttle is normal and certainly indicates that no parts were approved under warranty. Perhaps they replaced the parts, perhaps you were misinformed or misunderstood. It was deemed normal on the 3.5 ecoboost as well and usually only appeared after the first oil change. Everyone who found resolution to the noise issue eventually had it return, but it was never found to be detrimental in any way. There are several 100+ page forum posts out there about it.

OP
OP
cocopanda

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Well... your techs diag indicates that Ford says the VCT noise you had while letting off of the throttle is normal and certainly indicates that no parts were approved under warranty. Perhaps they replaced the parts, perhaps you were misinformed or misunderstood. It was deemed normal on the 3.5 ecoboost as well and usually only appeared after the first oil change. Everyone who found resolution to the noise issue eventually had it return, but it was never found to be detrimental in any way. There are several 100+ page forum posts out there about it.
I assure you, we had to wait a few weeks for the parts when he finally got approved. Probably have a third page of notes that I need to post if I look again.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I assure you, we had to wait a few weeks for the parts when he finally got approved. Probably have a third page of notes that I need to post if I look again.
If any parts were replaced, on your work order or invoice all of the Ford parts with their Ford Part #'s, quantity and cost will be listed as well as any labor costs. If it was repaired under warranty or course there wouldn't be any out of pocket expense.

I'm sure they replaced the VCT parts, because there are existing TSB's about S550 VCT issues.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...m-50067-vct’s-again-various-dtc-codes.169419/

OP
OP
cocopanda

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If any parts were replaced, on your work order or invoice all of the Ford parts with their Ford Part #'s, quantity and cost will be listed as well as any labor costs. If it was repaired under warranty or course there wouldn't be any out of pocket expense.

I'm sure they replaced the VCT parts, because there are existing TSB's about S550 VCT issues.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2015-2021-s550-5-0’s-ssm-50067-vct’s-again-various-dtc-codes.169419/
I have that document from them. I just didn't post it. Full frontal cover and head cover removal with new gaskets for the whole system. With the two VCT Solenoids being on the parts list as well. I'll dig it out and post it if I can find the time.

Sponsored

Sweetface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
$1700 later ( 2019 19k mileage car ) at a local performance shop to to find out it was a possible cam phaser / VVT issue. They cycled it a got it running and lasted maybe 5 weeks and came back. ordered a VVT solenoid ( exhaust ) for bank 2 . $40 and 45min later replacing it myself fixed the issue. Took a test drive to the shop which was 4 miles from my house and the shop basically said "well i guess we all learned something"

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
$1700 later ( 2019 19k mileage car ) at a local performance shop to to find out it was a possible cam phaser / VVT issue. They cycled it a got it running and lasted maybe 5 weeks and came back. ordered a VVT solenoid ( exhaust ) for bank 2 . $40 and 45min later replacing it myself fixed the issue. Took a test drive to the shop which was 4 miles from my house and the shop basically said "well i guess we all learned something"
@Sweetface How did you replace this? The valve cover has to come off?

Sweetface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Yes , I think there is a couple of good 2019 - 2020 F150 youtube videos I looked at for reference.
I just watched one! The guy recommends replacing the valve cover? WTH? Did you re-use your cover & gasket?

Sweetface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I just watched one! The guy recommends replacing the valve cover? WTH? Did you re-use your cover & gasket?
yeah, just I put it back as it was. I'm a glorified youtube certified mechanic at best ( lol !! )and it was no major task.
Sponsored