Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Getting on the hwy tonight I accelerated- maybe half throttle or less and I heard two backfires and saw a decent amount of smoke behind me from the exhaust. It was momentary and the car seems to run fine- the car was completely warmed up at the time. Drove about 20 miles and no apparent problems. I haven't tried to reproduce it yet but I may swing by the dealer and see if it generated any codes. Anyone else ever had their car backfire?
Sponsored

hungryhippos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Do you have an approximate speed, RPM and gear you were in? Also same question, what mods and are you tuned? Either way if you have logs to share that'd be great, it would help shed alotta light on what happened.

Check your spark plugs and wiring system, only takes a couple minutes and then we can start ruling out things that do work and focus on what we don't know and possibly figure out the problem.

OP
OP
speedfrk

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
No mods, totally stock DD automatic 3:15 gears. I was on the on-ramp to the interstate about halfway down the ramp maybe 60mph. Not at all pushing it hard. Maybe 4K rpm. Just a pop, pop- pretty loud- and big cloud of smoke in the rearview mirror. It ran totally normal after that.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
What gas are you using?
Could be bad gas. I had once bad gas and the engine tried to cut timing coated one of my exhausts in black soot.

Sponsored

OP
OP
speedfrk

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
What gas are you using?
Could be bad gas. I had once bad gas and the engine tried to cut timing coated one of my exhausts in black soot.
I use either Hess or BP depending on what station I'm close to. Both are very large stations so it's not likely bad gas but we just had the pipeline break and they were bringing it all in by truck from who knows where. My friend at the Ford dealer said he will check for codes on thursday, so I'll know something then. Something like a backfire should should throw a misfire code, I would think.

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
I use either Hess or BP depending on what station I'm close to. Both are very large stations so it's not likely bad gas but we just had the pipeline break and they were bringing it all in by truck from who knows where. My friend at the Ford dealer said he will check for codes on thursday, so I'll know something then. Something like a backfire should should throw a misfire code, I would think.
You can check the codes in engineering mode.

Hold the start button (no foot on clutch/brake) and hold the OK button on the steering wheel at the same time for a few seconds.

You'll see an "ET" at the bottom of your screen. Scroll till you see DTCs, and if any exist they'll be listed.

OP
OP
speedfrk

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
You can check the codes in engineering mode.

Hold the start button (no foot on clutch/brake) and hold the OK button on the steering wheel at the same time for a few seconds.

You'll see an "ET" at the bottom of your screen. Scroll till you see DTCs, and if any exist they'll be listed.
It shows no current or stored codes... maybe just bad gas. I still want to get it documented at Ford, so I'll run by there and let them plug it in.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Did you hear any pinging during that event?

hungryhippos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
There are other specialty fuel additives if you think you have bad gas, I like seafoam personally. If you do fear using that gas, the better safe than sorry option would be siphoning gas but if you had bad gas, I would imagine you'd get consistent problems until you put in a new tank. I'm just guessing at this point though LOL. I don't have a mechanical reason.. but maybe the ecu decided that dumping a ton of fuel at a random point was a good idea and that backfire was your mustang's impression of a Focus RS?

Sounds like a tough one to nail down though, good luck! Let us know what you find!

Sponsored

DanDglassman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue
Did you feel a hesitation when it happened? If not, maybe you ran over a discarded soda bottle and the "smoke" was vapor kicked up?

OP
OP
speedfrk

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Did you feel a hesitation when it happened? If not, maybe you ran over a discarded soda bottle and the "smoke" was vapor kicked up?
No, it was definitely a backfire- and it happened 2 times- pop, pop. Dealer checked it today and said no codes and everything checks out normal. He didn't think it was bad gas since it has run perfectly ever since on the same tank. This car makes me nervous... Oh well, 100K powertrain warranty.
Sponsored