Sponsored

B&O Systems Finally Replaced and Tuned

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It's been 2 months since acquiring everything for my system upgrade and getting it finished and tuned. I had the tuning done at Auto Accents in Lawrenceville, GA. A great shop with a great crew working there. For those that haven't seen the other threads, I posted in. I replaced everything except the head unit. The front stage consists of Focal Flax EVO PS165F3E speakers and the rears are Moral Tempo Ultra Integra 602 MKii. I know some don't see the need for rear speakers, but I like rear-fill. The subwoofer is a JL Audio CS112GW6v3 Sealed. I have JL Audio VX800/8i and JL Audio VX1000/1i amps powering everything. The tuning and RTA session took almost 5 hours but man, does it sound great now. It is night and day between the stock B&O and this system.

Audio Build 2.jpg

JL Audio System.jpg

JL Sub 1.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
For the tune or the whole system? The tune was $450. The components will vary on which you choose. I've got well over $5K in parts. It can be done much cheaper depending on what speakers, subs, and amps are used. JL Audio tends to be quite pricy, I do admit.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Holy hell, 5 hours? That’s a bit much. I had my three VXi amps auto set to EQ in about 15 minutes and tweaked in about 1.5 hours after that. What did they do for the other 3 hours?

You plan to have it Max tuned? There’s a highly recommended guy named Glenn Savage who’s in SE Georgia. He’s allegedly a wizard with JL’s tuning.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Holy hell, 5 hours? That’s a bit much. I had my three VXi amps auto set to EQ in about 15 minutes and tweaked in about 1.5 hours after that. What did they do for the other 3 hours?

You plan to have it Max tuned? There’s a highly recommended guy named Glenn Savage who’s in SE Georgia. He’s allegedly a wizard with JL’s tuning.
When i tune my car it takes even longer than 5 hours. If you cannot do Auto-EQ like TüN or Helix and have no REW import function in the software and need to type everything in by hand, then it takes a while.
In addition, sometimes REW generated filters just don't work when actually put in into the DSP, so it's another round for that driver. ;)
Then there's time alignment (sweeps take their time), phase alignment and stuff like that.
A competition tune on my side easily adds up to 20-30 hours at minimum.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
When i tune my car it takes even longer than 5 hours. If you cannot do Auto-EQ like TüN or Helix and have no REW import function in the software and need to type everything in by hand, then it takes a while.
In addition, sometimes REW generated filters just don't work when actually put in into the DSP, so it's another round for that driver. ;)
Then there's time alignment (sweeps take their time), phase alignment and stuff like that.
A competition tune on my side easily adds up to 20-30 hours at minimum.
You actually made my point lol. He has a pair of JL vxi amps. They didn’t need REW, Tun4 has time alignment built in when you input your speaker distance measurements. Point is, if the tuner knows how Tun4 works, and is competent in tuning, 5 hours seems a bit much for a “non competition” session.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
No, for a good tune it’s actually reasonable. Maybe they didn’t do TA by measuring distances (which is quite inaccurate in my opinion), but with impulse responses.
Maybe they did some heavy EQ work which takes time when done manually etc.
5 hours is far from competition ready, but not totally unreasonable for a good quality tune done manually.

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@m3incorp, sounds like you‘ve got some wobble, wobble, shaky, shaky bass now! Did you replace the tweeters in the A-pillars too? How about the sub, we’re you able to anchor it down somehow, so it stays put during spirited driving?

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Good questions. Yes the tweeters were included in the Focal 3 way component set.

I have the the TKO Performance Sound Deadening Mat that helps with the Subwoofer moving around. But If I get on it real hard, it will shift rearward some. It's not in the pictures but I have two leather covered blocks that extend from the subwoofer to the rear and won't let it move. These get in the way, so I am thinking of ways to keep it from moving. Since the subwoofer only moves towards the rear (has never moved towards the sides), I am thinking of fabricating something that is about a half inch in height and the width of the subwoofer which would have to be glued or velcro onto the Blockit mat. The key is it has to be just tall enough to keep the sub from moving but yet, not too tall, that I can't remove the sub when I want.

https://www.tkoperformance.com/2015-2021-Mustang-Blockit™-Quick-Quiet-Mat_p_2008.html

@m3incorp, sounds like you‘ve got some wobble, wobble, shaky, shaky bass now! Did you replace the tweeters in the A-pillars too? How about the sub, we’re you able to anchor it down somehow, so it stays put during spirited driving?

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Good questions. Yes the tweeters were included in the Focal 3 way component set.

I have the the TKO Performance Sound Deadening Mat that helps with the Subwoofer moving around. But If I get on it real hard, it will shift rearward some. It's not in the pictures but I have two leather covered blocks that extend from the subwoofer to the rear and won't let it move. These get in the way, so I am thinking of ways to keep it from moving. Since the subwoofer only moves towards the rear (has never moved towards the sides), I am thinking of fabricating something that is about a half inch in height and the width of the subwoofer which would have to be glued or velcro onto the Blockit mat. The key is it has to be just tall enough to keep the sub from moving but yet, not too tall, that I can't remove the sub when I want.

https://www.tkoperformance.com/2015-2021-Mustang-Blockit™-Quick-Quiet-Mat_p_2008.html
Only downside I could see to that is that it will block radiant heat from escaping the spare tire well where your amps are.
Keep an eye on your amp temps if you go that route.

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I replaced everything except the head unit. The front stage consists of Focal Flax EVO PS165F3E speakers and the rears are Moral Tempo Ultra Integra 602 MKii. I know some don't see the need for rear speakers, but I like rear-fill. The subwoofer is a JL Audio CS112GW6v3 Sealed. I have JL Audio VX800/8i and JL Audio VX1000/1i amps powering everything.
Maybe a naive question, or two: The speakers fit into the original spaces? And could they be used with the OEM amp? Or is the new amp (or amps) mandated by their characteristics?

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Maybe a naive question, or two: The speakers fit into the original spaces? And could they be used with the OEM amp? Or is the new amp (or amps) mandated by their characteristics?
You can absolutely use aftermarket 6.5” speakers with the stock amp. The only ones you’ll have trouble with is the 3.5 and tweeters (for the B&O package) as they are wired together in parallel at 4 ohms. Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm so you’d be overdriving the amp and possibly damaging it if you added new tweets and mids and didn’t have a 4 ohm final load.

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Exactly as Evolvd stated. The issue I saw is the speakers in the stock system are not that great and that is probably the reason, once we decide to replace them all, it opens up a can of worms and leads us to a replacement DSP/Amp over the stock one.

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I agree completely. I don't drive the car much except on weekends but I think if I took a road trip in it, I might remove the blockit. I will definitely keep an eye on temps though. I've had plenty of people tell me that is why they wouldn't mount an amp rack in the spare tire well.

Only downside I could see to that is that it will block radiant heat from escaping the spare tire well where your amps are.
Keep an eye on your amp temps if you go that route.

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Just getting back to commenting on this one. Actually, I was there and the guy was in the car for that time making adjustments. When I was home in Colorado, I was at a well-regarded shop and they had just finished a Mustang with JL Audio VX amps and told me they spent over 4 hours on the tune.

I would like to have it Max tuned for sure. This particular shop didn't have the kit for the Max Tune, though they are a JL Audio shop. Do you happen to know which city in SE Georgia this Glenn Savage is located in? I would definitely be interested in contacting him. I am in the same situation you are in Florida, in that a tuner with Max Tune equipment might be many hours away.

I like the fact that up to six preset tunes can be configured via the software...though I don't really know why anyone would need all those and especially since I typically drive alone.

Sponsored