Axleback or Catback System

prem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Prem
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang PP Magnaflow Street
I am new to mustang world and wondering if i need to get an axleback or catback system. I am looking to improve sound on my ecoboost.

Your inputs are appreciated
Sponsored

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
I am new to mustang world and wondering if i need to get an axleback or catback system. I am looking to improve sound on my ecoboost.

Your inputs are appreciated
Your gonna have to be alot more specific to get any credible answers.
What exactly are you aiming for in terms of sound? There is a spectrum of different exhaust systems and each one does something different. IF your trying to go crazy loud with crackles and pops just get a downpipe and straight pipe the car. If your going for something more refined, quieter but with an improved tone take a walk through the sticky thread at the top of the ecoboost forum page, its basically an exhaust catalog complete with videos and what not.

Exhaust Thread:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14511

Last edited:

gtmorgan23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Honestly i would spend a long time on youtube listening to them all because this car probably has one of the widest ranges of exhaust notes depending on the system purchased.

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Honestly i would spend a long time on youtube listening to them all because this car probably has one of the widest ranges of exhaust notes depending on the system purchased.
Well hey that's what its there for. keep in mind the camera can never truly capture how it sounds in person and each camera has its own mic, but itll give you an idea of what its like.

Also if your spending upwards of $1000 and you have several dozen choices it only makes sense to find one you like before you get it.

sorry gtmorgan, I responded like you were the OP didn't even read the name. lol my mistake

OP
OP

prem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Prem
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. I am looking something refined, deeper sound and not crazy loud. Do i need a cat back or just fine with mufflers? I heard the videos but each video sound different unfortunately.

I kind of narrowed it down to MBRP street /magnaflow street or the SOlO

Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Thanks guys. I am looking something refined, deeper sound and not crazy loud. Do i need a cat back or just fine with mufflers? I heard the videos but each video sound different unfortunately.

If you are looking for pure sound, then go with an axelback of your choice. A Catback will make your exhaust a little louder with minimal performance. They are pretty much pointless without a better downpipe anyways, as that is the most restrictive piece of our exhausts. And if you live in the wonderful california like I do, aftermarket downpipes arent CARB legal.:frusty:

I have the Borla S-type axelback and I love it. Way louder/better than stock when i step on it and its not deep/farty. Sounds like a good tuner. But everyone has different tastes. Even V8 fanboys I talk too like the sound of mine. I prefer V8s all day and u really cant beat the sound of one in the end, but we can make good sounding 4-cylinder that doesnt sound ricey at all.

OP
OP

prem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Prem
Vehicle(s)
If you are looking for pure sound, then go with an axelback of your choice. A Catback will make your exhaust a little louder with minimal performance. They are pretty much pointless without a better downpipe anyways, as that is the most restrictive piece of our exhausts. And if you live in the wonderful california like I do, aftermarket downpipes arent CARB legal.:frusty:

I have the Borla S-type axelback and I love it. Way louder/better than stock when i step on it and its not deep/farty. Sounds like a good tuner. But everyone has different tastes. Even V8 fanboys I talk too like the sound of mine. I prefer V8s all day and u really cant beat the sound of one in the end, but we can make good sounding 4-cylinder that doesnt sound ricey at all.
My friend lives in cali so i get you .. I like the borla s type too but they are pricey and then i found the mbrp catbacks to be good value so was leaning towards them but really not sure if that catback has a better downpipe or not

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Have you checked out the muffler delete? A lot of people here seem to go that route with the ecoboost

OP
OP

prem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Prem
Vehicle(s)
Have you checked out the muffler delete? A lot of people here seem to go that route with the ecoboost
Will check them too.. Does it have any effect on the performance of the car by deleting the mufflers?

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
My friend lives in cali so i get you .. I like the borla s type too but they are pricey and then i found the mbrp catbacks to be good value so was leaning towards them but really not sure if that catback has a better downpipe or not
I could be reading this wrong, but the catback version of exhaust does not come with a downpipe. The downpipe comes before the cat, so the catback exhaust is just mid pipes + Muffler. Axelback is just mufflers essentially. Turbo-back exhausts is what you should be looking at if you want it all. That is downpipe + midpipes + muffler. You can mix and match downpipes and catbacks, if you want a catback with a better downpipe. You can always get a tune anyways to dial in your setup.

Sponsored
OP
OP

prem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Prem
Vehicle(s)
I could be reading this wrong, but the catback version of exhaust does not come with a downpipe. The downpipe comes before the cat, so the catback exhaust is just mid pipes + Muffler. Axelback is just mufflers essentially. Turbo-back exhausts is what you should be looking at if you want it all. That is downpipe + midpipes + muffler. You can mix and match downpipes and catbacks, if you want a catback with a better downpipe. You can always get a tune anyways to dial in your setup.
You are right.. i am stil learning :doh:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I am also leaning toward the catback MBRP street since it is very reasonably priced and will get the hot exhaust out quicker than axle back by removing the resonator.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I personally wouldn't spend $1,000+ on a catback for this car. There isn't a single exhaust setup I've seen on youtube that's made me go "That is awesome!" no matter what the price. I honestly think the best route for this car is just a muffler delete, maybe res delete.

WesleyEng was the first I heard doing a muffler/res delete over a year ago and since then I haven't heard any setup that sounds "better." (albeit that's subjective.)

I just did a muffler delete on mine a few days ago.. the sound isn't exactly what I would "want" but I like it.. it's better than nothing. Lol.

I had gotten bored with my AT car but with the muffler delete I enjoy driving it again, now I feel like I'm back in a sports car instead of a 2 door commuter.
[ame]

OP
OP

prem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Prem
Vehicle(s)
I personally wouldn't spend $1,000+ on a catback for this car. There isn't a single exhaust setup I've seen on youtube that's made me go "That is awesome!" no matter what the price. I honestly think the best route for this car is just a muffler delete, maybe res delete.

WesleyEng was the first I heard doing a muffler/res delete over a year ago and since then I haven't heard any setup that sounds "better." (albeit that's subjective.)

I just did a muffler delete on mine a few days ago.. the sound isn't exactly what I would "want" but I like it.. it's better than nothing. Lol.

I had gotten bored with my AT car but with the muffler delete I enjoy driving it again, now I feel like I'm back in a sports car instead of a 2 door commuter.
Thats Loud!
I am still trying to know what do in gain with catback systemz on the ecoboost? Axleback are half the price of catbacks

On3hand3dh3ro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Black
if your looking at the mbrp check out the race version. I have it on mine and it sounds great. From the videos and everything i looked it showed the street is about as loud as the race just not as deep.
Sponsored