Sponsored

Awful noise when clutch pressed in 1st gear.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
When I'm slowly rolling to a stop and go to push the clutch in when I'm in 1st gear there is an awful clunk/mechanical noise coming from what sounds like the transmission. I've tried to push the clutch faster or slower to avoid this and haven't been able to figure it out. I've tried to ride the brakes longer to bring the RPM down and it still didn't matter.

I mostly notice it pulling into my driveway which is an incline. I slip it a bit to get into the driveway and as I'm slowing to a stop in the garage the noise is noticeable when I press the clutch it to come to a complete stop. It will also happen at parking lot speeds when coming to a stop.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine clunks when under load in the engine braking situation too. I thought it was kind of normal for twin disc clutches to make a lot of racket. Well, turns out my car is the shop getting a new clutch now. It wasn't fully engaging for the last few days, and had a slipping/burning smell when I got home. .

Lussier4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18MY on order
I have an 18GTPP manual with the same noise from day one, now have 4K km.

Get on a side street with fan and radio off, 1st gear up to 2-3 km/h than get off the accelerator. Once the speed stabilize, depress the clutch and you clearly hear the "clunk-clunk" at the point where the clutch disengage. Same noise when doing the above in reverse. If the transmission is left in neutral there is no such noise when depressing the clutch. I believe this noise occurs each time you clutch out of any gear. If you drive the car hard you won't be able to hear this noise.

Took it to my Ford dealer this summer and did a road test with their manual transmission expert. In first gear at very low speed the technician jerked the clutch several time and acknowledged he had never heard this strange "clunk-clunk" noise. He pulled out a brand new 19GT manual from stock and it did the same noise right in their parking lot. Technician said it might be the new dual mass fly wheel/twin disk clutch combination.

I posted in this forum about this issue a while back but nobody acknowledge having this issue...

OP
OP

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Got a new noise today. When sitting at a stop light and when pressing the clutch in and shifting into 1st I get a "clunk" noise that sounds and feels like it is coming from the front driver side wheel area.

This transmission is NOT butter smooth that's for sure. I'm just wondering if this is an "issue" or just the character of the Mustang.

carter2980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I also get this same noise, especially when I drop the clutch from parking up my inclined driveway.

Sponsored

Lussier4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18MY on order
I also get this same noise, especially when I drop the clutch from parking up my inclined driveway.
Has anyone investigated what is causing this noise. My Ford dealer doesn't have a clue and claims it's on all manuals 2018+

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well, guess what? I got my new clutch installed with a new flywheel and everything. It definitely feels like it should. However, only one thing that is a little irritating. When sitting at idle and in neutral with the clutch released, it sounds fine, but when I blip the throttle, the clutch makes a little rattle sounds as the engine is spinning down. When I press the clutch in and blip the throttle, it is silent. I think the throw out bearing or something must be very close and making minor contact, even with the transmission in neutral. Not sure. Doesn't seem to be hurt anything though.

OP
OP

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I found that if I push the clutch in slowly at about a 5-7 second total time it doesn't do it as bad. If you need to come to a quick stop and push the clutch in quickly it doesn't like it and makes an awful noise.

I'm not really sure what causes this. It seems like the clutch should disengage without a bunch of noise regardless of how fast you push the pedal in.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I found that if I push the clutch in slowly at about a 5-7 second total time it doesn't do it as bad. If you need to come to a quick stop and push the clutch in quickly it doesn't like it and makes an awful noise.

I'm not really sure what causes this. It seems like the clutch should disengage without a bunch of noise regardless of how fast you push the pedal in.
That's gotta be something with the rapid engagement of the throw out bearing. Mine chattered a bit at idle in neutral, but today isn't doing it anymore. I think I just needed to run it in.

Whiplash473

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT/PP | '94 GT stroker
Mine is a 2016 and does this as well. I have a video from under the car that makes it much easier to hear. I'll post later to see if it's the same noise you're talking about. Took mine to Ford while it's still under warranty and they said it's normal, which I really just dont believe.

EDIT: I threw a trans mount bushing in from Energy Suspension to help the sloppiness of the trans with a shallow hope that it would help this clunking noise as well but no luck.

Sponsored

Whiplash473

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT/PP | '94 GT stroker
Mine does it when there's a load and I disengage the clutch. Backing out of the driveway slowly or creeping forward in traffic is the most noticeable due to the gear ratio being so high causing more torque on the drivetrain. I had my friend copy what it does while I was under the car. I didn't know I'd use this video for anything besides just for me to have it otherwise I would've been in the car and replicate it exactly since it's more of a knock knock knock instead of just one knock every time the clutch is disengaged.

Side note - it does this every time in the higher ratio gears (mainly heard in 1, 2, and R) and does not matter if the trans is hot or cold.

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
I think I have the same problem. I bought my Ecoboost used with almost 36K and don't remember it clunking when I bought it. It hasn't gotten worse but I still can't believe it's normal. Not sure if all in this thread have done this but I'd read somewhere that if you install one of those trans mount inserts that there could be issues down the line and I've done that.

OP
OP

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Mine has actually got better. I don't know if I'm slipping the clutch more or if the ECU is getting better at dealing with slow speed inputs.

Either way I only have the issue about one out of every 6-10 times I enter the driveway.

carter2980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
I took mine in to the dealer to have them check out the trans/driveshaft as well as some clunking coming from the engine when its shut down.

Last edited:

carter2980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Just an update: Vehicle has been at dealer since Dec 1st with no calls from there end. I called this week to find out what was going on, they said they ordered the 2nd and 4th gear synchros a couple days ago but Ford sent out the wrong parts so who knows when it'll be done. Almost certain these are not the issues making the noise but we will see what they have to say.
Sponsored