Sponsored

Autoweek - The Forgotten Mach 1

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It's the best 5.0 of S550. No point to re-iterate all the improvements for handling and endurance again. You had GT350 in USA, the rest of the world didn't. Neither we'll get anything better in the future. Maybe you'll forget it, but us foreigners won't. It's so perfect looking from every angle it can't get any better.
We try to make the Eurostang as close as possible to the real ones. Lol.
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I think the 03/04 Cobra and GT500 are very comparable in the shadow they cast over their respective Mach cars.

I do agree on the styling though. I had a V6 2002 convertible and even back then I thought it was sorta meh (the car itself was objectively terrible in terms of fit and finish). I agree that the S550 may hold up much better against the S650, but I won't hold my breath.

Keep in mind I have a $1k deposit down on a M1, so I'm not down on the car, just realistic that it's not going to be 'the latest and greatest' for more than a year, which kinda stinks. I would be absolutely amazed if the S650 doesn't have a V8 non hybrid option. That being said, I can see the 'signature' S650 being released with a V8/electric AWD and an automatic transmission, which would increase the Mach's cool factor if you picked a MT.
The only point I would slightly disagree with is your comment on the cobras casting a shadow on the Mach’s. While I agree, I think the shadow cast by the terminator was significantly bigger. Could be because of my age, but I was 18 in 2003 and the arrival of the 03 cobra was earth shattering. It represented such a leap in performance for the mustang and setup the direction for the top of the line mustang going forward. While the current gt500 is undoubtedly special, I don’t think it does nearly as much as that original car. Again it could be my age bias but In ‘03 I couldn’t believe Ford actually offered that car. I rarely see them driving around now but when I do I still pause for a minute.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I agree the 21 will stand the test of time, even being followed up by the S650. because I doubt the S650 will be as much of a trend setter/upset as the S-197 was. It made the SN-95 New Edge cars obsolete, in capability and styling. The S650 will be fresh, but I do not think it will be leaps and bounds ahead of the S550.
I totally agree- I think the S650 will be more iterative in nature. I think the S-197 cars were exceptionally good looking, and still feel that the GT500 and 2013/2014 cars are some of the prettiest mustangs made since the 60's. If used prices weren't so out of control I was debating purchasing a 2013 Boss instead of the M1.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am fine-ish with the parts bin nature, but would have preferred a hood at least. (I know that Ford was never going to build the Mach 1 I would have built if I was in charge...but I don't care much for bean counting and don't have a massive international business to keep afloat...)
Imagine the mustangs we would get if the bean counters got out of the way :cwl:
anyone else remember almost 20 years ago when they stuffed a v10 in a silver new edge car for fun? Ahhhh what could have been!

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
The only point I would slightly disagree with is your comment on the cobras casting a shadow on the Mach’s. While I agree, I think the shadow cast by the terminator was significantly bigger. Could be because of my age, but I was 18 in 2003 and the arrival of the 03 cobra was earth shattering. It represented such a leap in performance for the mustang and setup the direction for the top of the line mustang going forward. While the current gt500 is undoubtedly special, I don’t think it does nearly as much as that original car. Again it could be my age bias but In ‘03 I couldn’t believe Ford actually offered that car. I rarely see them driving around now but when I do I still pause for a minute.
I too was 18 in 2003; I wasn't nearly enough of a car nerd, though. I briefly had a 2001 new edge MT V6 vert, but tbh it was not an impressive car and I ended up shortly trading it in for a MT Honda Accord that was more fun to drive.

This time around I'm switching from my '16 Miata; I haven't had a chance to test drive a M1, but I drove a 2016 GT350 and absolutely loved it. Again I would go the used route but that particular car had a salvage title and they were still asking $60k for it which is just batshit insane. From everything I've read the Mach has almost identical handling/shifting/driving to the base GT350, just without the awesome 8.5k redline voodoo. I'm getting it as a daily driver and won't track it that often so I figured the times I could actually get the engine that high are few and far between, and the M1 has the nicer electronics (the base mustang dash is very poorly laid out IMO). Anyway curious to hear your thoughts as an owner.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Imagine the mustangs we would get if the bean counters got out of the way :cwl:
anyone else remember almost 20 years ago when they stuffed a v10 in a silver new edge car for fun? Ahhhh what could have been!
yeah, I'd have been all over a destroked 7.3 pushrod for the Mach 1 (down to 7L). a slight cowl hood with NACA scoops w/ 429 RAM AIR in white lettering on the side of the scoop

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too was 18 in 2003; I wasn't nearly enough of a car nerd, though. I briefly had a 2001 new edge MT V6 vert, but tbh it was not an impressive car and I ended up shortly trading it in for a MT Honda Accord that was more fun to drive.

This time around I'm switching from my '16 Miata; I haven't had a chance to test drive a M1, but I drove a 2016 GT350 and absolutely loved it. Again I would go the used route but that particular car had a salvage title and they were still asking $60k for it which is just batshit insane. From everything I've read the Mach has almost identical handling/shifting/driving to the base GT350, just without the awesome 8.5k redline voodoo. I'm getting it as a daily driver and won't track it that often so I figured the times I could actually get the engine that high are few and far between, and the M1 has the nicer electronics (the base mustang dash is very poorly laid out IMO). Anyway curious to hear your thoughts as an owner.
I had an 01 mustang as well. It might as well have been a Ferrari because I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. It wasn’t until I got a little older that I realized how dated the new edge cars were even when new. I was car obsessed at 18 and like I said, when the 03 cobra came out it was almost hard to believe. I couldn’t foresee where the mustang was going to go but it certainly signaled a change in the mustang platform. It was now a serious performance car to go after corvettes and other more “exotic” cars.
I also test drive a gt350 but it had been through an engine replacement. I wasn’t able to do much with a test drive but it didn’t move me the way I expected it to. I think had it been a new car and not on the used lot I would have felt different.
your reasoning for buying the Mach 1 is very similar to mine. I wanted the handling, the braking, and most importantly the tremec. This car gives you all of that and enough power to get into trouble real fast. I think you’re going to be impressed!

OP
OP

Pardsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang Mach 1
I agree the 21 will stand the test of time, even being followed up by the S650. because I doubt the S650 will be as much of a trend setter/upset as the S-197 was. It made the SN-95 New Edge cars obsolete, in capability and styling. The S650 will be fresh, but I do not think it will be leaps and bounds ahead of the S550.
There have been only three other generation of Mach 1's over the Mustang's lifetime whereas there has been a Cobra variant virtually every year since 1993 and three iterations of Bullitt in 20 years. Yes, it'll age well.

Reactions: 12g

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
And that from looks it is a sticker package and some minor details on the front bumper that 99% of people will never notice.

it NEEDS NACA/NASA scoops.
Wrong. It’s more than just a sticker package
97997E59-E8DA-4580-B7EB-B50216B7FDC2.jpeg

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I like your opinion but the new Mach 1 doesn’t replace the GT350 in any way. I kick myself for not getting one but the NFG pulled me. It barely replaces the Bullitt.
You need to educate yourself on the differences. Transmission, suspension, cooling. With an engine likely more dependable than the GT350.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Wrong. It’s more than just a sticker package
97997E59-E8DA-4580-B7EB-B50216B7FDC2.jpeg
I don't think you get what I said.

For anyone who is not a car enthusiast, the Mach 1 will look like nothing but a sticker package. some slight visual differences on the bumper, and some stickers and that is it.

Yes, those of us in the know know differently. but it won't be as obvious as the shelby changes for example, or if it had a NASA/NACA hood.
Sponsored