Sponsored

Automobile Mag: EcoBoost Premium - Does It Sound like a Mustang?

EleanorsBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Automobile Magazine just published a new entry in their testing of their 4 season Ecoboost which tackles the question "Does it sound like a Mustang?"
http://www.automobilemag.com/review...=10152757652625904&adbpl=fb&adbpr=20553875903

I will agree with them - revving the engine does sound a bit sad from outside the vehicle since most of the noise is just turbo whine. I'm hoping to get a new Axleback exhaust put on my Ecoboost soon so give it a meaner growl.

Ecoboost owners - what have you done to improve the sound of your engine/exhaust?
AutomobileMag - 4 seasons test.JPG
Sponsored

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
This car is so quiet in stock form. I installed an intake 2 days after i got it. And I just ordered a magnaflow comp series cat-back yesterday. My plan was just intake and tune for awhile. Yeah that didn't last long.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I own an EcoBoost and love my choice so I'm not bashing. It is a 4 cylinder and will never sound like a Mustang since they are referring to the V8. The same has ALWAYS been said about the V6.

Why does it need to sound like a V8? I agree the V8 sounds VERY nice and I definitely prefer the sound but the 4 cylinder is just different, like it for what it is or get what you like...

In my case I drive 100 miles a day round trip for work. Getting the gas mileage and still having the great style AND some pretty damned good get up and GO made it an easy choice for me. Plus I have my 06 GT in the garage too when I want to get loud.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I sounds like a mustang with a 4 banger. The only 4 banger that ever sounded half way good to me was the old SRT-4s. Everything else just sounded like a raspy 4 banger exhaust. (Hondas, Subies, Evos)

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
That's funny, my EB Mustang sounds a lot like my brother's 1979 turbo Mustang or my friend's 1986 SVO Mustang. So, yes, it sounds exactly like a Mustang. Was there a question there?

Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
If there was a "Mustang sound" the aftermarket wouldn't be as big as it is because everyone would keep theirs stock.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
"Sounds like a Mustang' is a pretty loose term. I have had a couple of Fox Mustangs with two-chamber Flowmasters on the old Windsor. That's certainly a distinctive Mustang sound, but my 15 Coyote doesn't sound like that, not one bit. The 15 doesn't even sound the same as the 11-14 Coyotes, which sound different from the 4.6s.

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Nothing sounds as good as a 4.6 so it doesn't really matter. Every time I hear one It makes me wish they would have put the R&D into the 4.6 instead of the 5.0

Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Nothing sounds as good as a 4.6 so it doesn't really matter. Every time I hear one It makes me wish they would have put the R&D into the 4.6 instead of the 5.0
I honestly think the 2v was the best sounding Mustang made.

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
I don't recall the Eco sounding particularly raspy when I took one out for a test drive. I don't remember it making very much noise at all, in fact. And it did produce a nice growl when I opened it up, regardless of its origin. I can understand why some may want to let the Eco express itself a bit more aggressively, but truth be told, there's something to be said for the stealthy approach. ;)

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I don't recall the Eco sounding particularly raspy when I took one out for a test drive. I don't remember it making very much noise at all, in fact. And it did produce a nice growl when I opened it up, regardless of its origin. I can understand why some may want to let the Eco express itself a bit more aggressively, but truth be told, there's something to be said for the stealthy approach. ;)
I just want to hear the turbo spooling and the blow off valve, some of my favorite car sounds next to the whine of a supercharger :D

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
"Sounds like a Mustang' is a pretty loose term. I have had a couple of Fox Mustangs with two-chamber Flowmasters on the old Windsor. That's certainly a distinctive Mustang sound, but my 15 Coyote doesn't sound like that, not one bit. The 15 doesn't even sound the same as the 11-14 Coyotes, which sound different from the 4.6s.
:headbang:
2 chamber flows on a pushrod 5.0 is THE Mustang sound. Could identify one coming from a block away...

I may be the first person on this site to say that I don't like the way any of the current engines sound. The 5.0 sounds ok stock, but aftermarket exhausts sound obnoxious to me, esp at idle. Everyone talks about how the Mustang only sounds right w/ a V8, but it really sounds weak at idle to me, and aftermarket exhausts only make it louder w/ different tones that aren't necessarily good...def not meaner or more aggressive. The V6 sounds like my Tacoma. The quieter the EB, the better...w/ the exception of Adam's car w/ the turbo swap...sounds like a healthy turbo 4 cylinder...which is just ok, at best.

mustang#16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That's funny, my EB Mustang sounds a lot like my brother's 1979 turbo Mustang or my friend's 1986 SVO Mustang. So, yes, it sounds exactly like a Mustang. Was there a question there?
All very popular and successful cars ;-)
Sponsored