Automobile Article - The Future of Camaro, Mustang & Challenger

Discussion in 'General Automotive Topics (non 6th Gen Mustang)' started by Clump, Jul 14, 2019 at 8:08 AM.

1. Clump

Clump Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Premium PP1 6 Speed
    0   0   0
    saleen367 and Timeless like this.
  2. saleen367

saleen367 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 PP2 Kona 2015 Focus Titanium
    0   0   0
    I'm not thrilled at the thought that the future means "bigger", but if it means keeping around the model, I guess I'll take what we can get. It just means that I'll be hanging on to my MY18 that much longer.

I personally would love to see the Mustang migrate to a direct Corvette competitor ... smaller, lighter, 2 seater, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Blue Moon, Strokerswild and Hack like this.
  3. bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt Oh boy

First Name:
    BigD
    Vehicle(s):
    Boosted 2015 GT Premium.
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    The future is bleak for all of them. The Camaro is as good as dead. A Mustang on an explorer frame??? And another 10 years of the same old challenger.

4. EcoVert

EcoVert Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost convertible
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I've said quite a few times that in ten years Mustang and the pony car segment will be dead. I did notice that the author is a camaro fanboi taking a jab at Mustang as being a rental car.

5. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2004 Z06
    0   0   0
    I agree with you. The back seats could even be kept, but made a little smaller in order to shrink the chassis and remove weight. A change like adding a transaxle or at least moving the transmission to the rear of the car would be terrific for improving balance and traction.

I don't think Ford would have to completely make the Mustang into a Corvette-style vehicle in order to pull lots of people from the Corvette. Keep most of what makes the Mustang a Mustang. Make sure the cabin stays large enough for bigger people to be comfortable. Don't worry about back seat size - I don't think very many owners use the back seats a lot except for if they have very small children. Just make something in between Mustang and Corvette in size, get the transmission into the back, and profit.

Strokerswild likes this.
  6. Strokerswild

Strokerswild Shallow and Pedantic

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    Stuff With Wheels
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    I have my doubts I'll buy another new Mustang down the road if it gets bigger and even heavier, the S550 is a tank as it is.....

Blue Moon likes this.