Sponsored

Automatic Transmission Sport Hits Redline?

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
When you shift the automatic transmission into "S" does it totally stop shifting for you and waits for you to hit the paddles or does it "step in" if you wait too long to shift?

So there is some confusion on this topic for me. I have seen several posts mentioning conflicting information, but I have not seen a thread dedicated to it. Someone with a V6 said that the transmission continued to shift for him, but I thought I remember someone (Dave P. maybe?) saying that it would not shift until you hit a paddle. So is this different between V6, EB, and GT? Is it a difference between standard and premium? I want to get to the bottom of this. Owners please chime in.

Thanks!
Sponsored

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
According to this video, redline...

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you shift the automatic transmission into "S" does it totally stop shifting for you a waits for you to hit the paddles or does it "step in" if you wait too long to shift?

Thanks!
Neither. Moving the shifter from "D" to "S" puts it in sport mode, it is still fully automatic and has nothing to do with the paddles on the steering wheel.
It becomes more aggressive, higher shift points, harsher shifts and locks out O/D

All auto's have sport mode, both base & perm, I4, V6 & V8.

However once you hit the paddle shifters, when you're in S, it exits sport mode and goes into manual-shift mode.

OP
OP
Allerick

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Niether. Moving the shifter from "D" to "S" puts it in sport mode, it is still fully automatic and has nothing to do with the paddles on the sterring wheel.

However once you hit the paddle shifters it exits sport mode and goes into manual mode.
Really? I have not heard this before. Interesting. I thought that switching between normal, sport, snow, and track was done via toggles and that switching to "S" just meant that the transmission went to a "manual" mode where the paddles take over. What does using the toggle to put it in sports mode do if you have the shifter in the "D" spot? Does that mean that it doesn't make the shifting more aggressive? This doesn't seem right to me.

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're thinking of electronic "Driving-Mode" which is only available on the premium models.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Allerick

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Sorry but I believe you're incorrect. Moving it from Drive to Sport switches it to manual with the paddle shifters. What you're thinking of is Sport+ on the toggles switches.
Based on the all of the info posted that is what I thought too. It threw me off, though, when a V6 owner said that the car continued to shift for him even when in "S." Maybe he was mistaken? :shrug:

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
Based on the all of the info posted that is what I thought too. It threw me off, though, when a V6 owner said that the car continued to shift for him even when in "S." Maybe he was mistaken? :shrug:
Thinking about it he may be correct. It makes sense that it would behave in sport mode like most automatics have then when using the paddle it switches over. Just seems redundant to have a toggle that does the same thing.

Avoid the confusion and just get a manual ;-)

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Really? I have not heard this before. Interesting. I thought that switching between normal, sport, snow, and track was done via toggles and that switching to "S" just meant that the transmission went to a "manual" mode where the paddles take over. What does using the toggle to put it in sports mode do if you have the shifter in the "D" spot? Does that mean that it doesn't make the shifting more aggressive? This doesn't seem right to me.
If it's like most every other make that offers a car with adjustable driving modes and an automatic with D, "S", and M modes, it would be slightly redundant.

The drive modes alter a combination of parameters: throttle mapping, shift points and harshness, and traction thresholds.

The transmission has two automated modes: D and S. Slotting the lever into S should only affect the transmission behavior, not the throttle mapping nor the traction nets. Hitting one of the paddles should bump it over into manual mode.

I would imagine that driving in D with the selective drive mode set to "sport" would be largely similar to leaving the lever in S/comfort, except that driving in D/sport would have different throttle mapping and traction nets

OP
OP
Allerick

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I see. This all works a bit differently than I was expecting. I was thinking of "S" as more of a manual operation mode for the transmission. You guys are probably right though. This would explain why it still shifts for you even in "S" mode. So once you hit a paddle that puts it in manual mode. How do you get it back out of manual mode, and does the transmission step in if you don't shift soon enough?

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I see. This all works a bit differently than I was expecting. I was thinking of "S" as more of a manual operation mode for the transmission. You guys are probably right though. This would explain why it still shifts for you even in "S" mode. So once you hit a paddle that puts it in manual mode. How do you get it back out of manual mode, and does the transmission step in if you don't shift soon enough?
Usually you just slot the lever back into D. That's exactly how my current car operates. It has D/DS/M modes, and most makes that offer manumatic gearboxes operate like this.

Some are different though. The Korean sisters don't have an "S" mode for their autos, so they go straight into manual as soon as you push the lever over.

Sponsored

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking about it he may be correct. It makes sense that it would behave in sport mode like most automatics have then when using the paddle it switches over. Just seems redundant to have a toggle that does the same thing.

Avoid the confusion and just get a manual ;-)
You are in a way correct about it being redundant.

The driving modes on the premium are more of a convenient way of selecting different steering, T/C, ESC & Transmission combinations.

-Putting the shifter in S only changes the transmission.
-The steering button only changes the steering feel
-Pressing the T/C button only shuts of the T/C and not the ESC
-Holding the button shuts off the ECS

For instance if you want "Track-mode" and you have a premium you just press a button.

On the base you have to put it in “S”, turn of the T/C & ESC buy holding it, and then put the steering into the aggressive feel setting .

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Once you go into manual mode you can't go back to sport mode (at least not on the '13)
You have to shift back in to D, then back to S again.

When you're in manual mode the transmission pretty much stays out of your way but if you try to do something that will hurt or over rev the engine it will intervene.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
You are in a way correct about it being redundant.

The driving modes on the premium are more of a convenient way of selecting different steering, T/C, ESC & Transmission combinations.

-Putting the shifter in S only changes the transmission.
-The steering button only changes the steering feel
-Pressing the T/C button only shuts of the T/C and not the ESC
-Holding the button shuts off the ECS

For instance if you want "Track-mode" and you have a premium you just press a button.

On the base you have to put it in “S”, turn of the T/C & ESC buy holding it, and then put the steering into the aggressive feel setting .
You should make a list of how you get each drive on a non-premium (like you did here with Track Mode). ;)

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should make a list of how you get each drive on a non-premium (like you did here with Track Mode). ;)
Think the only difference between Sport and Track Driving-modes on the prem is sport leaves the ESC on.

The Snow mode I don't know if you can replicate. But that's alright with me cause I turn off the T/C & ESC in the snow all the time anyway... they make it very hard to do donuts.

OP
OP
Allerick

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for taking the time to respond Sal JC. This helps clear it up for me. :)
Sponsored