Sponsored

Automatic Transmission Sport Hits Redline?

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
I have a Base GT .. If I put the shifter in S ( never touching the paddles )At WOT It will NOT shift ... It goes right to the rev limiter .. I can put it in S and drive it at low speeds and it will shift on it's own ...But floor it ( WOT ) will NOT shift .. It didn't do this when I first got the car , it was after a Lund tune it started acting this way ... I ask Lund about it and he had no clue why it was doing this .. I have remove the Lund tune and added a Procharger and the Procharger tune , it still will NOT shift on it's own in S mode .. I have to use the paddles to shift in S ..
My 16 does the same thing. If I move into "S" from "D" at a stop and punch it WOT... it will not shift. It pegs the limiter. I have no tune loaded bone stock.
Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
My 16 does the same thing. If I move into "S" from "D" at a stop and punch it WOT... it will not shift. It pegs the limiter. I have no tune loaded bone stock.
I noticed that too... was confused but not sure how to diagnose it.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a Base GT .. If I put the shifter in S ( never touching the paddles )At WOT It will NOT shift ... It goes right to the rev limiter .. I can put it in S and drive it at low speeds and it will shift on it's own ...But floor it ( WOT ) will NOT shift .. It didn't do this when I first got the car , it was after a Lund tune it started acting this way ... I ask Lund about it and he had no clue why it was doing this .. I have remove the Lund tune and added a Procharger and the Procharger tune , it still will NOT shift on it's own in S mode .. I have to use the paddles to shift in S ..
I just noticed this with my Lund tune also. The first time at WOT with the shifter in S I broke the tires loose in the first 3 gears. I tried it again and just pegged the rev limiter. I have been told that if you go WOT the trans wont shift, but it does it stock. Makes it really confusing. Only thing I can think of is that the throttle position % is not always 100% at some WOT runs.

I might play with it some more this week but I'm thinking for any driving where you go WOT with the shifter in S you better be ready to shift with the paddles.
The down shifting in sport and the instant throttle response is what makes s mode fun.

Herb

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I just noticed this with my Lund tune also. The first time at WOT with the shifter in S I broke the tires loose in the first 3 gears. I tried it again and just pegged the rev limiter. I have been told that if you go WOT the trans wont shift, but it does it stock. Makes it really confusing. Only thing I can think of is that the throttle position % is not always 100% at some WOT runs.

I might play with it some more this week but I'm thinking for any driving where you go WOT with the shifter in S you better be ready to shift with the paddles.
The down shifting in sport and the instant throttle response is what makes s mode fun.

Herb
I have this same issue. At part throttle in S it will shift aggressively on it's own but once you go WOT, you must use the paddles.

My car is a stock base GT.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yeah if you keep the car in D, the toggle switches just control throttle mapping, esc, and steering feel.

If you press a paddle in D the car will perform that shift but take over gear selection after the computer decides its enough. An example of this is if you're in D cruising at 70 in 6th gear, then you decide to downshift into 5th. If you don't try to push the accelerator pedal down more, the car very quickly takes back control and shifts you back into 6th. Basically this lets you overtake people without mashing the pedal then waiting for the computer to drop a gear or two.

If you go from D -> S the gear selection is still computer controlled, the only difference is the higher shift points, more aggressive downshifting, and a slightly more aggressive throttle mapping. You will also notice that when you are in S the mode switch only allows you to pick from sport,sport+ and track.

If you pull a paddle in S, then you go into a manual gear selection state. Here the computer will never shift up for you, if you hit the rev limiter it will cut power (and flash red if you have a premium). The only time the computer will do anything in this state is downshift at the minimum rpm for that gear to prevent stalling.

So basically after you've pressed a paddle while in sport mode you can drive however you want, if you want gas mileage just spam the up shift button. If you want to cruise around in second gear at 40 miles per hour it will let you do that too.

But yeah I don't think its possible to seriously damage your engine since there is a rev limiter preventing you from over-reving, and the car will automatically downshift to prevent the engine from stalling. Of course if you keep the revs constantly high you'll increase your wear on the engine and decrease your mpg.
Everything stated in albsy's response is dead on accurate (more so for those with the Performance Package w/ auto trans).

I have seen many replies in this thread (early replies) and in other "auto trans" threads were folks have stated if the gear selector is manually put into "S", the only thing that changes is the trans shift points.

Not true...

It does in fact change the throttle mapping and operational characteristics of the both the engine and transmission.

I know for a fact that if I put my 16 EB Premium PPk into "S" only at the gear selector, I can immediately feel (and hear) a difference in the way the car idles (and of course how it operates upon leaving from a dead stop). The car will still shift itself IF the user does not touch the paddles.

I read that OD is not available if gear selector is in "S", but after the car hits 60-62mph and it shifts itself, to me it seems that the vehicle is in OD at that point??
Sponsored