Automatic shifting really harshly in Sport mode

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
unplug battery for 10-15min to reset trans. this fixed mine. plus the trans takes time to adjust to how you drive. if not warranty :)
Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Resetting the KAM may help. Disconnecting the battery for a bit will do it and of course Forscan can do it. The issue may come back though. If I reset mine is drives a little rough because of the reset then it smooths out, then it goes back to picky cant decide shifts. I just reset the Kam from time to time. A lot of people who track do it prior.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
So I drove around running errands today and gave the tranny plenty of time to heat up. It was maybe a little smoother but still pretty rough. I had my wife in the car so didn't have a chance to get on it.

Anyhow, I'm going to start with making sure the fluid levels are fine. Then if they are, I'll try the reset. And if that doesn't work, then I'll have it looked at just to make sure it's not a problem. And if that's just the way it is, so be it.

She's a finicky car, but still SO MUCH fun to drive.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
So I drove around running errands today and gave the tranny plenty of time to heat up. It was maybe a little smoother but still pretty rough. I had my wife in the car so didn't have a chance to get on it.

Anyhow, I'm going to start with making sure the fluid levels are fine. Then if they are, I'll try the reset. And if that doesn't work, then I'll have it looked at just to make sure it's not a problem. And if that's just the way it is, so be it.

She's a finicky car, but still SO MUCH fun to drive.
After driving around some more after getting my trans fluid topped off 6 days ago, my trans issues are completely gone. I can now drive around the neighborhood in Sport/sport+/Track with zero of the "bucking" & harsh trans shifting, even with the transmission not completely warm yet.

There wasn't a single time prior to this, since I got the car about 9 months ago, that I could do this prior to the trans fluid top off last week.

I had got to the point of thinking that it must just be normal for the Mustang and I would probably have to just live with it, but it is not true. I will be surprised if your trans fluid is not low too.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
After driving around some more after getting my trans fluid topped off 6 days ago, my trans issues are completely gone. I can now drive around the neighborhood in Sport/sport+/Track with zero of the "bucking" & harsh trans shifting, even with the transmission not completely warm yet.

There wasn't a single time prior to this, since I got the car about 9 months ago, that I could do this prior to the trans fluid top off last week.

I had got to the point of thinking that it must just be normal for the Mustang and I would probably have to just live with it, but it is not true. I will be surprised if your trans fluid is not low too.
Well, fingers crossed that it resolves my issues as well. It does raise the question of how much damages was done in the meantime...

Sponsored

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Well, fingers crossed that it resolves my issues as well. It does raise the question of how much damages was done in the meantime...
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I would think that if there were any long-term issues that they would be noticeable before the powertrain warranty is up so I am not going to worry about it too much.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
ask Ford to flash the F-150 shift strategy to your car.
ok, that was a joke - but the Mustang trans tune was done by a retard 7yr old who thinks violent shifts are "cool". The F-150 team isn't run by idiots who play with Matchbox cars and works perfectly up and down, yes even in 'Sport' mode.

Short of driving your car thru the plate-glass doors at Ford HQ and dragging the A10 programmer across Detroit by a lasso, you need a trans tune (and not from the juvenile delinquents at Lund) to fix the abomination.

But check fluid levels first
I will say that whoever does the Explorer ST trans software also knows WTF they are doing. I had a brand new 2020 Explorer ST as a loaner and put just under 3k miles on it - and that trans also shifted like butter in ALL Trans modes - even the ST Sport mode. It was a night and day difference between the S550 and ST.

As others have said - and as mentioned in that main 10R80 thread that was posted here previously - first thing a 10R80 Owner should do is request that the trans fluid level be checked AT NORMAL OP TEMP, not when it's cold! In almost every instance we have seen posted on this site, S550 10R80's are not coming filled to proper levels. In almost every instance Owners or Service Centers have had to add at least 1 or 2 quarts. The DIY to check 10R80 trans fluid AND proper 10R80 dipstick level info is in that main thread, Post 1, Page 1 - scroll down in it to see the 10R80 fluid level check hyperlinks.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I hadn't tried Sport+ in my 2022 EB until I read this thread. In my 2018, Sport+ was very jumpy so I rarely used it. It only came in handy when I ran the Tail of the Dragon, it worked perfectly. I now prefer Sport+ in the 2022 because even normal acceleration is smooth through every gear, but the throttle is more responsive. Only if you lightly touch the gas, like stopping short of an intersection, then wanting to inch forward with the the gas, it'll hop a little. Otherwise, I prefer it. That said the algorithms my differ between an EB and a GT. I agree with checking the fluid.

KB_210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Grabber Blue A10
I posted this in the transmission forum as well, but I was hoping to highlight it a bit and get a quicker response. It's bugging me on this Thanksgiving Day (and a happy one to you!).

I just passed 1,000 miles and so thought I'd give Sports mode a try. While my transmission has been a little harsh in normal mode in downshifts when stopping and also at times around 45MPH, it's not been terrible.

However, in Sports mode, upshifts are brutal. They're harsh and clunky, to the point where the whole car shudders. My wife sitting in the passenger seat just said, "That's not right." I agree with her. The terrible shifts are 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, which is as far as I went before switching back to D.

What's everyone else's experience? I can't imaging this is normal, but then I'd expect to see more issues in Normal mode. The same happens when I keep the transmission in D and use to the switch to turn on Sports+ mode.

Edit: I suppose my specific question is, how harsh is too harsh?
Mine was harsh when I first got the car like really harsh. It got better around 750 miles but I had been driving in sport mode for a few hundred miles at that point. Took it to the dealer at 500 miles because I had a piece of plastic flapping on the driveshaft and they said it was normal and to keep driving it and it will improve. I didn't believe it but it did get better. The transmission may need to learn in D as well as S. Keep driving in S and it should get better, mine is really smooth now and my 2 - 1 downshift got way smoother as well, no more lurching.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Mine was harsh when I first got the car like really harsh. It got better around 750 miles but I had been driving in sport mode for a few hundred miles at that point. Took it to the dealer at 500 miles because I had a piece of plastic flapping on the driveshaft and they said it was normal and to keep driving it and it will improve. I didn't believe it but it did get better. The transmission may need to learn in D as well as S. Keep driving in S and it should get better, mine is really smooth now and my 2 - 1 downshift got way smoother as well, no more lurching.
In my case, I am at over 7,000 miles and throughout the summer drove in Sport a lot, it was "ok" sometimes if the trans was completely warmed up. I did also try the "disconnect the battery to relearn" process at one point but it never got to the point where the trans acted like a normal car, especially in sport/sport+/track. until I got the trans fluid level topped off to where it was supposed to be.

Sponsored

rontime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible V6
When it down shifts how high does it rev? I had an issue where mine would rev close to redline when downshifting in Sport Mode.
Mine would automatically downshift to 1st gear around 45MPH. Numerous trips to the shop and they couldn't find it. I told the mechanic to take it home and sure enough it happened. He was then determined to find the issue. It was crossed wires shorting. Amazing how many wires are stuffed in the steering wheel.

KB_210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Grabber Blue A10
In my case, I am at over 7,000 miles and throughout the summer drove in Sport a lot, it was "ok" sometimes if the trans was completely warmed up. I did also try the "disconnect the battery to relearn" process at one point but it never got to the point where the trans acted like a normal car, especially in sport/sport+/track. until I got the trans fluid level topped off to where it was supposed to be.
Too bad you need a freaking lift to check the trans fluid. I have no idea what my level is. Is there a trick to reach it on the ground?

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Too bad you need a freaking lift to check the trans fluid. I have no idea what my level is. Is there a trick to reach it on the ground?
I knew it was beyond my ability and had it done when I took it in for my oil change.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I will say that whoever does the Explorer ST trans software also knows WTF they are doing. I had a brand new 2020 Explorer ST as a loaner and put just under 3k miles on it - and that trans also shifted like butter in ALL Trans modes - even the ST Sport mode. It was a night and day difference between the S550 and ST.

As others have said - and as mentioned in that main 10R80 thread that was posted here previously - first thing a 10R80 Owner should do is request that the trans fluid level be checked AT NORMAL OP TEMP, not when it's cold! In almost every instance we have seen posted on this site, S550 10R80's are not coming filled to proper levels. In almost every instance Owners or Service Centers have had to add at least 1 or 2 quarts. The DIY to check 10R80 trans fluid AND proper 10R80 dipstick level info is in that main thread, Post 1, Page 1 - scroll down in it to see the 10R80 fluid level check hyperlinks.
CJ is exactly right on this, we have one of these vehicles and it is a very nice driving, >shifting< experience In ALL modes, I don't give to many rides in my GT 10 spd, cause its sort of embarrassing...

scurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I know this thread concerns the automatic 10 speed but I thought would share my transmission story. I thought my transmission was shifting harshly into and out of 3 gear. I had the dealer replace the filter and fluid at 20,000 miles. I didn't notice any difference. At 40,000 miles 4 weeks ago I changed the fluid and filter. The transmission was cold and when I opened the dipstick cover the fluid squirted out onto my arm and down the outside of the transmission. I thought that very odd. I pumped in 6 quarts and so far it's been shifting like butter. I also replaced the differential fluid with Royal Purple and the Ford friction modifier.

I wonder if there was too much fluid?
Sponsored