Autocross aero project upcoming

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
In preparation for next season, I'm going to tackle some aero mods in the next couple of months. Plan is for a splitter out of 1/2" birch plywood and a spoiler out of Lexan both of which will meet CAMC rules.

The splitter will be removable for street driving and I'm going to get a different decklid for the spoiler. I contempleted the ZL1 Addons wicker bill for the GT500 swing that I have, but not sure it will fit within the rules.

I'm also contemplating trackspec GT4 vent kit for the hood too.

Anyone who has done this,,,where did you source your splitter rods?
Should I just use some cardboard for the form of the spoiler first?
Can I use a trunk lid that has OEM spoiler holes or should I use a non-spoiler one?

Any other tips?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Front Rods - I used professional awesome carbon rods. Have broken a couple rods with hard impacts, but they're pretty cheap to replace. So far so good.

Rear decklid - I found one with factory holes, so I took advantage of those and made brackets which would cover the stock holes just fine. Definitely didn't want much water to get through, that was a minor concern. I had to widen a couple of the stock holes from the backside to get sockets in there.

Definitely helpful to do a cardboard (or card stock) template for the spoiler so it can closely match the contours of the deck lid. For the splitter I used a paper template.

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Front Rods - I used professional awesome carbon rods. Have broken a couple rods with hard impacts, but they're pretty cheap to replace. So far so good.

Rear decklid - I found one with factory holes, so I took advantage of those and made brackets which would cover the stock holes just fine. Definitely didn't want much water to get through, that was a minor concern. I had to widen a couple of the stock holes from the backside to get sockets in there.

Definitely helpful to do a cardboard (or card stock) template for the spoiler so it can closely match the contours of the deck lid. For the splitter I used a paper template.
Did you basically trace the shape if the belly pan?

I assume you removed the belly pan and wheel liners?

Your's and Fletcher's cars are essentially my blueprints.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Did you basically trace the shape if the belly pan?

I assume you removed the belly pan and wheel liners?

Your's and Fletcher's cars are essentially my blueprints.
tracing the belly pan off the car helps with fit in the rear and wheel wells, it also helped me locate mounting points.

don’t think I ever removed the wheel liners.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
Am I out in left field or is aero work for autocross an oxymoron?

I can't see any possible advantage to a splitter on the front. Maybe a really big wing on the rear so that you can bias to oversteer for slow corners and have some stability for "high speed" corners. How much time will a splitter save?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Am I out in left field or is aero work for autocross an oxymoron?

I can't see any possible advantage to a splitter on the front. Maybe a really big wing on the rear so that you can bias to oversteer for slow corners and have some stability for "high speed" corners. How much time will a splitter save?
aero adds up to real measurable time on an autox course and at the higher levels of competition, every 1/10th matters.

splitters can help to balance /some/ of the understeer you can get from a big spoiler. Remember how important front grip is on these cars.

You will still have plenty of understeer left after the splitter to play games with slow speed oversteer balance.
Sponsored