Sponsored

Autocar just reviewed the Euro Mustang (V8 + EB)

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I never get this business where people say you can get a equivalent BMW for the same money.
I was looking at 4 series when it first came out and could not find one for the sort of money I wanted to pay with the performance etc I wanted.
What BMW can you get with over 400bhp for around 35K? Have I missed something.
Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I never get this business where people say you can get a equivalent BMW for the same money.
I was looking at 4 series when it first came out and could not find one for the sort of money I wanted to pay with the performance etc I wanted.
Who says anything like that? To get equal performance you have to get smth like the Audi S5 which starts at 60k€, with equal features it's over 70k€.
Multiple sources stated that the price for the EU mustang will increase in the upcoming months, but it still will be the best deal in terms of power and modern features for that price.

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
To get the modern equivalent of my old BMW that I have owned since new, an e36 323i, I would be looking at the 420 petrol.

Last time I looked they were £30k plus with a 6 pot 180bhp.

I'd imagine a 4 series with similar power to the Mustang must be the M4 but they are around twice the price.

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Who says anything like that? To get equal performance you have to get smth like the Audi S5 which starts at 60k€, with equal features it's over 70k€.
Multiple sources stated that the price for the EU mustang will increase in the upcoming months, but it still will be the best deal in terms of power and modern features for that price.
Sorry, I was lazy and couldn't be bothered to quote the post.

In the first post it says the following

They find the the clutch positive, the gear-shift slick and notch free, and the V8 Coyote smooth. Interior quality is a let-down, given the Mustang costs the same as BMWs in the EU.

Quotes like that wind me up because yes, you can get a mid range 4 series or A5 for the same money but not a stocking v8 or even a 300bhp 4 cyl.
Its just not giving the right facts.
I have wanted to own a V8 powered car for a long time and there is NOTHING that come close money wise to the Mustang.

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
croyde said:
To get the modern equivalent of my old BMW that I have owned since new, an e36 323i, I would be looking at the 420 petrol.

Last time I looked they were £30k plus with a 6 pot 180bhp.

I'd imagine a 4 series with similar power to the Mustang must be the M4 but they are around twice the price.
stevec said:
Quotes like that wind me up because yes, you can get a mid range 4 series or A5 for the same money but not a stocking v8 or even a 300bhp 4 cyl.
Its just not giving the right facts.
I have wanted to own a V8 powered car for a long time and there is NOTHING that come close money wise to the Mustang.
A 4-series will be expensive compared to a Mustang, yes, because BMW stupidly charge a lot extra for two less doors.

However, you have the BMW 235i.

The Mustang with metallic paint and the reversing sensors (a must on it, IMHO) will cost you £34,000. The M235i has all the equipment you want and costs £34,500.

Its just as fast as the Mustang GT at 12.9s on the 1/4 mile and a 0-60 of 4.3s (C&D observed).

The new Audi TT in sport trim with 230hp and All-Wheel Drive with decent equipment weighs in at £33,500. Despite its modest 4-cylinder output, 0-60 takes 5s (manufacturer quote), so it could easily bother a Mustang GT and, of course, Audi interiors are the best in the business.

This is why Ford have had to tweak the Mustang for Europe. Autocar's previous drive was not in Pre-Production models but actual production US spec cars. If they didn't want to get lampooned at the review table they had to fix its low speed ride to match the Germans, because people can, and most likely will, head straight for something from Deutschland if everything is not 100%. The interior having some dodgy plastics from a Nissan 370Z is the only thing wrong with the Mustang, and if it was priced any lower it'd not be an issue. But the same cost as an Audi TT? You bet its going to get scrutinized.

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The new Audi TT in sport trim with 230hp and All-Wheel Drive with decent equipment weighs in at £33,500. Despite its modest 4-cylinder output, 0-60 takes 5s (manufacturer quote), so it could easily bother a Mustang GT and, of course, Audi interiors are the best in the business.
The normal 230hp engine of the TT needs 6.0s to 60. You must have though about the TTS with 310hp which needs 4.9s. The TTS is way more expensive than the gt (starting at nearly £39k) without any equipment at all.

Isn't even the base price of the M235i without equipment around the same as the Mustang GT?

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The normal 230hp engine of the TT needs 6.0s to 60. You must have though about the TTS with 310hp which needs 4.9s. The TTS is way more expensive than the gt (starting at nearly £39k) without any equipment at all.

Isn't even the base price of the M235i without equipment around the same as the Mustang GT?
Nope, the 230hp 4-pot is 5.3s to 62mph (so 5s for 60). The Audi TT Gen3 is insanely light - around 1230kgs. Throw in Audi's DSG Auto and 4 driven wheels, and you have a pretty fast pocket rocket. Of course, as with 99% of VW Group cars, the speed will be underestimated by a noticeable margin. The old Audi TT was much slower, the new one is a credible and relatively inexpensive sports car now.

Here's a picture from the tech-specs for the 230bhp Quattro Sport.

With regards to the BMW - rear parking sensors, leather, HiPo breaks, Infotainment system, and all the other little extra modcons on the Mustang are present on the Bimmer.

The difference is that the Stang comes with a camera as standard where the Bimmer comes with sensors. Add the sensors and to the Mustang and the camera to the Bimmer, both with free paint, and it comes out at £33,300 for the Pony and £34,870 for the Bavarian - and I suspect it'll be easy to extract the price difference out of the BMW dealer vs a Mustang Dealer/Ford Store.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Add everything to the Audi you have in the Mustang: Leather seats, eletric seats, heated seats, power folding mirrors, hold assist, reversing camera, cruise control, ambient light, etc and your TT will easily be above £37k

Also you're still comparing a small sportscar with a big GT. Audis equivalent to the Mustang should be the S5 or M4.

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Add everything to the Audi you have in the Mustang: Leather seats, eletric seats, heated seats, power folding mirrors, hold assist, reversing camera, cruise control, ambient light, etc and your TT will easily be above £37k

Also you're comparing a small sportscar with a big GT. Audis equivalent to the Mustang should be the S5.
They're Coupés that cost about the same price with similar performance stats - to 95% of potential buyers, that's all they'll see.

That's why Autocar were complaining about interior quality. I'm no fan of German cars and it'll take brain damage for me to buy one, but you can't knock the fact that, in Europe, premium cars are more affordable because they're built here - and with similar performance for the same cash with class leading interiors, the Mustang's fake plastic-chrome around the cup-holders just doesn't compare.

I love the Mustang, I'm buying one (hence why I'm here :p ) - but its not perfect and it'll have a very tough fight on its hands, V8 or not.

Jostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
A 4-series will be expensive compared to a Mustang, yes, because BMW stupidly charge a lot extra for two less doors.

However, you have the BMW 235i.

The Mustang with metallic paint and the reversing sensors (a must on it, IMHO) will cost you £34,000. The M235i has all the equipment you want and costs £34,500.

Its just as fast as the Mustang GT at 12.9s on the 1/4 mile and a 0-60 of 4.3s (C&D observed).

Here in Australia base pricing (excluding on the road costs) are:
Mustang EB AU$45K
BMW 220i coupe AU$51K
Mustang GT AU$55K
BMW 228i AU$64K
Audi A5 AU$68K
BMW 420i AU$70K
Audi TT AU$72K
Audi A5 Quattro AU$75K
Audi TT Quattro AU$77K
BMW M235i AU$80K
BMW 428i AU$80K

But of a no brainer really...

Sponsored
OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here in Australia base pricing (excluding on the road costs) are:
Mustang EB AU$45K
BMW 220i coupe AU$51K
Mustang GT AU$55K
BMW 228i AU$64K
Audi A5 AU$68K
BMW 420i AU$70K
Audi TT AU$72K
Audi A5 Quattro AU$75K
Audi TT Quattro AU$77K
BMW M235i AU$80K
BMW 428i AU$80K

But of a no brainer really...
Prices vary from country to country. I stated British OTR prices :)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
They're Coupés that cost about the same price with similar performance stats - to 95% of potential buyers, that's all they'll see.
I dont think that a lot of people are looking are the pure performance. Things like the overall size of a car and the amount of features/assistents are a big thing.
The EU camaro costs about the same as the Mustang, but a lot of people (including myself) were disappointed by the outdated and very cheap interieur and materials, so it's not selling great here. The Mustang is already sold out in europe (besides a few extra cars they are building now) and I'm quiet sure Ford will have enough buyers for the next years.

Audi TT is designed for just 2 passengers (on the backseats only people smaller than 1,5m are legally allowed), so I think the Mustang has a much higher daily value for shopping, drive with your family, etc. The Audi TT is much more like a Boxster, MX5 oder Toyota GT86 - You spend your money on a car that is purely focussed on driving, not daily business.
Also the TT didnt get that great reviews in terms of how it drives. It's a VW: It's designed to be a car for everbody, it will not drive overly aggresive and everybody without practise can drive this thing fast.

The Golf 7 GTI PP I drove before the Mustang costs about the same as my Mustang GT. At least here in germany, you cant get the value of the Mustang from any other car.

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The Golf 7 GTI PP I drove before the Mustang costs about the same as my Mustang GT. At least here in germany, you cant get the value of the Mustang from any other car.
I was using UK Prices and specifications. :)
In the UK, comparable cars exist, and ones like the 370Z and Golf R cost several thousand less.

So horses-for-courses (no pun intended). I've not sat in a new Mustang yet, but I doubt it'll be as well finished as an Audi, so I agree with the Autocar review in that regard.

Really, though, that's the only criticism of the car. I imagine quite a fair few people who were originally looking at hot hatchbacks will give the EcoBoost Mustang a good run.

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Out of All of this I have to call out the word woofle. This might be a license plate in the making.
Sponsored