Sponsored

Autoblog on MTs

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
The Save the Manuals campaign appears to be failing. Americans are rapidly giving up on the clutch pedal, according to new study of over 50,000 leased vehicles from Swapalease. The research also shows that men are increasingly unlikely to row their own gears in comparison to women. Swapalease refers to this loss of interest as "manual drift," but that sounds more like something fun to do in a car with a clutch pedal to us.

The website, which acts as a broker for people trading leases, looked at data from 2012 to 2015, and the results were clear. The company found 3,102 leased manual vehicles in 2012 and 2,417 in 2015 – a drop of 22 percent. Men, though, are especially less likely to choose a model with a clutch. In 2012, 85.4 percent of manual drivers were males and 14.6 percent were females. By 2015, the figure for men dropped to 81.2 percent. Because the total number shrank over the years and males left them more quickly, the proportion of women who wanted to select their own gear actually increased to 18.8 percent for 2015.

There are undoubtedly good arguments to choose an automatic on leased vehicles. They are easier to use, and in today's world an automatic often has better fuel economy and acceleration as compared to a manual. Jeremy Clarkson recently penned an editorial where he supported the switch. He admitted using a clutch was great on the open road, but awful during a daily commute in heavy traffic.
Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
The 5.0 is my first manual car, and I am so happy that I took this route. I used to be an automatic owner that caught flak from all of the MT guys. It is clear why many enthusiasts choose a manual transmission; it is so much fun!

There have a been a few times where I have found myself wishing I had an AT for the ease aspect, but since my car is a weekend warrior, I am glad I bought the 6 speed.

Wasn't Porsche the company that refused to let go of the manual transmission?

#SaveTheManuals

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
My 15 GT is the first auto I have ever owned. All my other Mustangs and my RX-7 were stick. I don't regret getting the auto. Its a nice change. I think when I get a different car in a few years I will probably go back to a stick. I just like changing it up.

cbass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
God
Vehicle(s)
2015 400a A6
I hate stats like this. Stick with total numbers, or percentages. Total number of manuals listed is down, but what about auto cars? If they're down too, it would just show that fewer people want to swap cars than they did 3 years ago.

Sponsored

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
My 15 GT is the first auto I have ever owned. All my other Mustangs and my RX-7 were stick. I don't regret getting the auto. Its a nice change. I think when I get a different car in a few years I will probably go back to a stick. I just like changing it up.
in a few years there wont be anymore cars with stick to get into!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Back in the days when you can only get a 3 speed auto but 5 speed manual, people wanted the manual because they were faster. Now in the world of 6/7/8/9/10 speed autos, 6/7 speed manual is becoming a dinosaur.
Fuel economy is not an issue anymore since most automatics lock up the torque converter in all gears.

Last edited:

oldgeezer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT base, Ingot Silver, 6MT, 3.55
Hey all, we may be the last generation that actually enjoys driving! Unfortunately, the handwriting is on the wall: driverless cars! Thankfully I am old enuf so that I've enjoyed driving for many decades, and the driverless car may actually get here by the time they yank my license! Auto . . . stick . . . just let me DRIVE!

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I would have never thought I would buy a Mustang with an auto. Of course, all but one of my Mustangs were Fox body 5.0s and that AOD was a steaming pile of poo. The AOD KILLED any hopes of performance unless you threw a ton of money into it. Today's autos are so much better. Another factor is I know for sure that with a MT I will certainly end up snapping a half shaft. Might still happen with the auto but it seems to be much less likely. I still love to drive a manual and I may regret not having one but the autos also are quicker.
Sponsored