ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
Hello all,
I have a 2015 V6 auto almost 100% stock at 22k miles. I only have an x-pipe and GT axle backs.
the problem is when it shifts from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 It feels like it can not rev match (like when you up-shift with manual without matching the rev. ie. just dump the clutch without giving a little gas.) it has never done it when I was flooring all the way. it only happens when half throttle when shifting around 4000rpm.

since dealers dont care about the stuff which arent obvious, it is a little hard to convince dealer.. it is my last month on warranty. do you have any advise for me?

Thanks
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I remember my 2016 auto did the something. Most autos will do it especially being rwd. The drivetrain slack is taken up before the actual power is sent to the rear wheels causing that jerking sensation.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Hello all,
I have a 2015 V6 auto almost 100% stock at 22k miles. I only have an x-pipe and GT axle backs.
the problem is when it shifts from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 It feels like it can not rev match (like when you up-shift with manual without matching the rev. ie. just dump the clutch without giving a little gas.) it has never done it when I was flooring all the way. it only happens when half throttle when shifting around 4000rpm.

since dealers dont care about the stuff which arent obvious, it is a little hard to convince dealer.. it is my last month on warranty. do you have any advise for me?

Thanks
Totally normal. Unfortunately. I chalk it up to the slack in the drivetrain from the two piece driveshaft to the loosey goosey rear differential. There isnt a whole lot you can do about that but you could try a one piece driveshaft or solid differential bushings...not sure what else though :headbonk:

SquillyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
Mine does it too. I've always wondered what was causing it. Usually does it when I'm driving in a neighborhood

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
For me having it in Sport instead of D when doing regular driving feels a little more sluggish because it delays the shifting and it isn't as smooth when going slow. Could it be that for you guys?

OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
appreciate the answers but I know about the two piece shaft and jerk because of it. the jerk because of the the shaft is more like quick kick.

this one is slower, like lazy, car jerks because probably toque comes late. that's why I was wondering if it can be the throttle body. I dont know if throttle body closes partially when shifting, if it is closing It might be re-opening later than it should do. I dont have much knowledge about this stuff so I hope this makes some sense. sorry it is hard to describe

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
appreciate the answers but I know about the two piece shaft and jerk because of it. the jerk because of the the shaft is more like quick kick.

this one is slower, like lazy, car jerks because probably toque comes late. that's why I was wondering if it can be the throttle body. I dont know if throttle body closes partially when shifting, if it is closing It might be re-opening later than it should do. I dont have much knowledge about this stuff so I hope this makes some sense. sorry it is hard to describe
No autos don't close throttle when shifting. It retards ignition.
Either way the other thing is 6R80 will lock up torque convertor from 2nd gear so that could be that.
There is nothing wrong with it really. All RWD/4WD auto does it because of the complexity of the drive train.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6

Is it like you push on the gas and nothing happens for a second? Like a lag?

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6

I was able to get my car to do something like what your describing while in S mode and I just attribute that to poor transmission programming. I think a tune would help.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
Is it like you push on the gas and nothing happens for a second? Like a lag?

I was able to get my car to do something like what your describing while in S mode and I just attribute that to poor transmission programming. I think a tune would help.
yes exactly like a lag. I was thinking a tune too. I read amazing stuff about the transmission after tune. since it started to happening more and more lately, I was afraid something is wrong. thanks man!

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
yes exactly like a lag. I was thinking a tune too. I read amazing stuff about the transmission after tune. since it started to happening more and more lately, I was afraid something is wrong. thanks man!
Yea I thought the same thing! Brought my mustang to 2 dealers and they said it was normal. I'm not sure I buy that its "normal" but it definitely is apparent on many S550 V6s out there.

Tunes do seem to be the way to go! MPT I think is the company that makes the most highly regarded tunes for our V6s.

No problem!
Sponsored