Sponsored

Auto Transmission metal clanking sound

kkriskal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 For Mustang GT Premium Auto
Thank you ITSMEPAUL for the confirmation. There is this section in the manual on the transmission behavior

Automatic Transmission Adaptive
Learning

This feature is designed to increase
durability and provide consistent shift feel
over the life of your vehicle. A new vehicle
or transmission may have firm or soft
shifts. This operation is normal and does
not affect function or durability of the
transmission. Over time, the adaptive
learning process will fully update
transmission operation.

I am Not sure if this indicates to the firm shift between gears (like 1 to 2 to 3 etc.) or the initial engagement in to R or D. But from ITSMEPAUL's case (and also I read in another form that someone's problem went away after over 10K or so) I am Not sure if it is because of this and thus the transmission is Not shifting slow enough for it to be making this noise. I found another dealer (Not exclusive ford) but they said the same thing "Normal". Are we Not giving it enough time to set in?? Not sure.

I have planned a 1500 miles trip this coming weekend and am a bit worried
Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Thank you ITSMEPAUL for the confirmation. There is this section in the manual on the transmission behavior

Automatic Transmission Adaptive
Learning

This feature is designed to increase
durability and provide consistent shift feel
over the life of your vehicle. A new vehicle
or transmission may have firm or soft
shifts. This operation is normal and does
not affect function or durability of the
transmission. Over time, the adaptive
learning process will fully update
transmission operation.

I am Not sure if this indicates to the firm shift between gears (like 1 to 2 to 3 etc.) or the initial engagement in to R or D. But from ITSMEPAUL's case (and also I read in another form that someone's problem went away after over 10K or so) I am Not sure if it is because of this and thus the transmission is Not shifting slow enough for it to be making this noise. I found another dealer (Not exclusive ford) but they said the same thing "Normal". Are we Not giving it enough time to set in?? Not sure.

I have planned a 1500 miles trip this coming weekend and am a bit worried
Mine does it sometimes, and sometimes not. These cars have pretty sloppy drivetrains. The FSE who worked on my car told me not to worry about it- it wasn't a problem. My car will never do it when it is cold and the fluid is thicker and it "eases" into gear. Just when it is warm.

kkriskal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 For Mustang GT Premium Auto
Hello Speedfrk,

Yes, mine is kind of similar. I start my car, let it idle and warm up, RPM drops to operating range, shift to R no abnormal sound, just the regular engagement noise. Back out of my garage, R to D, normal engagement noise.

Then go drop my kid at school, drive to work, shift in to R and boom, the clank noise, try to move it to D and R again, again clank noise.

I have sent all the details including the invoice to the service advisor, waiting for his feedback.

Here is the history of my problem.

1. At around 300 - 350 miles on the Odometer, there was very loud clunk under the above conditions but not all the time (again it was loud). Took it to the dealer, they said everything was normal and they recommended that I let things wear in a bit and get smooth

2. Then went on 1300 miles road trip. I use only Shell Premium gas, do Not strain the engine since it is new. Then after I returned, now the loud clunk is gone but it is now the clunk that is posted in several videos here and it is now consistent under above conditions and I can reproduce it at will every single day once it has warmed up after a bit of driving

3. ITSMEPAUL on this forum mentioned that his noise went of at 10000 KMS (which is approximately a little over 6K Miles) so I want to give that a try to before chasing the dealer. So I am going on another 1500 miles road trip this weekend to accelerate the accumulation of 6000 miles since the vehicle will be running at high temperature for long period of time, I am assuming will help with faster wear in of whatever parts need to be worn in.

The reason I am trying all this before chasing the dealer is because the changing of front flange has worked for some and Not for some and for some of you it has come back after 3000 miles and for some it has just gone away by itself.

Also one more important thing is since there is No TSB on this yet, the part that is being replaced is the same as the one being used in the production line (Not a rectified part), so I am Not sure what the probability of this permanently fixing it (I understand one of you has this permanently resolved for around 9 months but most have it back or not resolved at all) unless the fix is just torque level on the flange. And one more point is my is a 2017 so how can Ford ignore this for 3 model years with so many complaints if this was considered to be a problem, on the other hand, why are they replacing parts if this is Not a problem? This thing is driving me crazy. Will keep you all posted after my trip. Thanks.

Last edited:

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I'd let it ride for now... you have until 60K miles on the warranty. If something is going to break, it will happen before then. Next time you get the oil changed or whatever, complain about it again and insist that they put it on a lift, warmed up and duplicate the problem to isolate where the noise is coming from.

yamilselman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Hi I have the same metal clanking sound on my 2016 Mustang v6 from R to D , D to R, R to N.

Sponsored

ElviraS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT C/S
I had my driveshaft replaced about a year ago and the issue went away. Now its back - intermittent "clank" when moving the shift lever. Also while driving if I accelerate then let my foot of the gas you will hear a softer "clink clink clink" that sounds like it's coming from the driveshaft. I also get intermittent vibrations in the center console between 55-65 so wondering if there is also a balance problem. Back to the dealer I go.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
That clank can be different things. When i took my car in for the vibration 50-70 issue the drive shift was replace. That didn't fix either problem. Tech found the transmission flange was out of spec replacing it fixed the clank but had increased the vibration issue. After clocking it with no improvement tech went with the DS hose clap balance which got rid of most of the vibration.

The reason i brought up the vibration is that swapping drive line parts may introduce 50-70 vibration to a car that didn't have it. Just beware when signing off on the car being fixed.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
I had my driveshaft replaced about a year ago and the issue went away. Now its back - intermittent "clank" when moving the shift lever. Also while driving if I accelerate then let my foot of the gas you will hear a softer "clink clink clink" that sounds like it's coming from the driveshaft. I also get intermittent vibrations in the center console between 55-65 so wondering if there is also a balance problem. Back to the dealer I go.
Can you update the thread with what you figure out?

Thanks! :cheers:

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
I have this. They replaced the driveshaft and it fixed it for like 2 days. Now its back more then ever. I hear it coming to a complete stop too. But im all pretty fed up with all the dealership visits i dont think i care anymore
Sponsored