Auto Club Speedway, before becoming a short track

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
Who on this forum tracks here? Would like to meet up and chat about setups etc. Jan 15 is my next track day. This is my local track, running several years in my prior RB 240Z, E46 M3, STi, but first time in the PP2 prepping now.

We are still not sure when NASCAR turns this into the short track config and we lose the beloved Roval.
Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Not exactly local for me, but I've ran ACS quite a few times. Roval is a fun track, but man has it got bumpy! I was there in Nov. and the inside just felt really bumpy. Was a weird weekend with extreme fog (delayed starting 1.5+ hours)

Who knows when they will close it down and make it a short track, enjoy it while you have it!

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I'll be there this March w/ my PP2. If they convert it to a short track, that will suck.

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com
Vehicle(s)
Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote
We are working with Speed Ventures to possibly have a Mustang Challenge at this event and others in the future. We would love to here about interest in this. We are looking to use a handicap system so that all cars will run in same group, for example, modified cars will have time(in seconds or parts thereof) added to their lap times. This will create parity based more upon driver skill rather than car mods. More info coming on this very soon!

OP
OP
trackd

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
We are working with Speed Ventures to possibly have a Mustang Challenge at this event and others in the future. We would love to here about interest in this. We are looking to use a handicap system so that all cars will run in same group, for example, modified cars will have time(in seconds or parts thereof) added to their lap times. This will create parity based more upon driver skill rather than car mods. More info coming on this very soon!
Interested since I’ve been happy running with them for many years. One run group with handicap might work but normally they limit to 22-25 cars per run group so could be tight.

I believe they used to have a Pony Car Challenge.

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, we should talk one of these days. I was just talking to Chris about something similar when I was there chilling with you guys last month and grabbing that Torsen. He's on board and offered to help.

Who on this forum tracks here? Would like to meet up and chat about setups etc. Jan 15 is my next track day. This is my local track, running several years in my prior RB 240Z, E46 M3, STi, but first time in the PP2 prepping now.
It's my home away from home, if you hear an obnoxiously loud and ugly white s550, come by and say hi, it's me. I almost always garage/pit right across from registration.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
It's my home away from home, if you hear an obnoxiously loud and ugly white s550, come by and say hi, it's me. I almost always garage/pit right across from registration.
Loud and ugly and FAST which makes it perfect. I'm glad you were my instructor today and thanks again for the help. I was passed by no one and passed everyone ahead of me, and got to the front. Particularly satisfying was dusting those two Vettes and that 911 GT3. I have good speed, but need to learn how to get through those tight corners faster so I don't give up so much time. Ciao.

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
i still need to get down there before it gets reconfigured... if ever

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Well if rains at sonoma...march 26 im there.
Really wish to break in the 43 maybe 42.
I love that speed and it is sad having nascar destroying it.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I've been trying to get out there for the roval for a few seasons now. Unfortunately life has changed some things around for me.

I'm optimistic about running it this season though.

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Loud and ugly and FAST which makes it perfect. I'm glad you were my instructor today and thanks again for the help. I was passed by no one and passed everyone ahead of me, and got to the front. Particularly satisfying was dusting those two Vettes and that 911 GT3. I have good speed, but need to learn how to get through those tight corners faster so I don't give up so much time. Ciao.
Not only that, but you improved by nearly a whole minute!

1647243105726.png

Yes, your eyes don't deceive you, that really is a 3 minute best lap. A certain somebody misheard 40% pace as 40mph pace, and I guess didn't feel comfortable at 40mph and brought it down to 20, and took us on what has got to be the most brutally painful 20 minute session ever.

As for the track itself, I've seen a handful of articles that hint of their talks cooling down, with the "success" that the NASCAR event was at the LA Memorial Coliseum, which was a 1/4 track with action filled 1st gear racing. I'm wondering if they'll go dual tracks, because they have cleaned up the drag strip which was just North of it, like no signage, no time devices/machines, soon the concrete. Only about another month or so left of the SoCal PB season, so not that we don't want to see your lovely faces, but it's easily 95+ by 2nd session from about May until August/September, so don't rush down here for what's a real miserable experience when we've probably got a few more years added back on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trackd

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
Not only that, but you improved by nearly a whole minute!

1647243105726.png

Yes, your eyes don't deceive you, that really is a 3 minute best lap. A certain somebody misheard 40% pace as 40mph pace, and I guess didn't feel comfortable at 40mph and brought it down to 20, and took us on what has got to be the most brutally painful 20 minute session ever.
Wait, was this instructional laps, lead-follow? 3 min is way too slow for the Roval, you said 40% pace over 20 mins. Normally they let you go by the 2nd session on.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I was also instructing that 1st (and 2nd session) it was brutally slow in the 1st session. Occasionally nearly coming to a complete stop. Not exactly "safe" on a race track, even with first timers (one of my students was only 15!).

Turned out to be a pretty fun day. I was not quite on pace, the cheap Maxxis tires I tried didn't exactly work well, unless you are counting Formula Drift points :cwl:

#ineedanoilcooler

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Wait, was this instructional laps, lead-follow? 3 min is way too slow for the Roval, you said 40% pace over 20 mins. Normally they let you go by the 2nd session on.
Yes. I went 2:03.299 in the last session. 5-6 and 9 are where I kept screwing up. I need more guts to go wider at 17-18 so I can have better entry speed for the straight.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I went 2:03.299 in the last session. 5-6 and 9 are where I kept screwing up. I need more guts to go wider at 17-18 so I can have better entry speed for the straight.
6 and 9 are the hardest for me. It's really hard to resist putting that power and speed down, just have to wait, and you'll be rewarded by a really nice exit and entry into the straights. 17-18 (and like 19,20,21) on your next cooldown lap, explore that outer edge and try to really line up that exit, paying attention to those tall cones which cover the manholes. Depending on the day, like Nik said, they really, really do play with those cone setups. I've once seen them give us no room to play, because it was flooded with a hard rain the night before, and with a standing pool of water had them make it a hard 90 left which ... was a shock. If you take use your warmup and cooldown lap trying to take the long way and get a feel for it without really lifting at like 50ish, then it's just a matter of time. I'll check, but I'm only like 80-85mph there anyhow because of that hard left and exit coming out, it's the last left cone (21?) that you almost want to clip as you're rolling into power, and if you set it up right you're not fearing for hitting the wall, and shifting right about as you're now straight and about to get onto the bank.
Sponsored