Sponsored

Aussie Supercars V8 - paddle shift for gen 3 - good idea / bad idea

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
just wondered what you think about the proposed move to a paddle shift with autoblip for downshifts. Supercars says it saves money on blown / worn engines through over revving on the current manual blip / downshift but the drivers say it'll take skill away from the driving and also reduce the options to overtaking?
My opinion is stay with the sequential manual as present cause at least they have a chance of messing that up under pressure downshifts whereas paddle auto blip up and down, mechanical failure aside is going to be perfect everytime. Cue auto v manual man argument lol, not about that. All about the show

Be cool to see the Camaro in race trim along side the Mustang though obv no more Holden :(
Sponsored

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'm not familiar with sequentials really, but how do you mess up a downshift with a sequential? Can you "miss" the gate like you could in an h pattern setup? Do you still have to heel and toe blip the throttle as your braking and trying to do a rev match downshift? Is there a clutch you have to actuate?

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
I'm not familiar with sequentials really, but how do you mess up a downshift with a sequential? Can you "miss" the gate like you could in an h pattern setup? Do you still have to heel and toe blip the throttle as your braking and trying to do a rev match downshift? Is there a clutch you have to actuate?
ignition cut on upshifts so no lift necessary but for downshifts yes you have to use clutch and rev match and you can fluff it a little though obviously not as much as an H pattern. A paddle shift with autoblip pretty much removes the opporunity to make mistakes in high pressure (sic) braking duals so removes some excitement from the racing.
Cam Waters

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
You can Buzz the engine on downshifts (over rev ) and cause engine damage with a sequential , something the paddle shift won't allow hence the team owners like for them. I believe it's a done deal for our Supercars and personally , from a spectators POV can't see what all the fuss is about. Would i like the old H pattern back, hell yes, but it's never going to happen so i can't see whatt all the fuss about paddle shifting is about. We can still enjoy proper manual racing in the TCM which is always interesting.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
what is wrong with the drivers that they don't know their RPMs and that by selecting the gear they want it's going to over-rev? This is neophyte mistakes. Or did they not learn heel+toe or that you're supposed to brake for a while before changing gears?

Sponsored

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
what is wrong with the drivers that they don't know their RPMs and that by selecting the gear they want it's going to over-rev? This is neophyte mistakes. Or did they not learn heel+toe or that you're supposed to brake for a while before changing gears?
They all make mistakes at times , they're only human.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
The difference between the completely manual gear change that V8 Supercars originally started out with, and what they already have nowadays, is far greater than the proposed changes.

I am not worried about how the drivers change gears, but then I am an out automatic Mustang owner :-)

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Over revving is part of it but these things are permanently on the knife edge of traction so not getting downshifts absolutely perfect can mean catastrophic lock up. Add the need to modulate brakes as you normally would when you're standing the thing on its nose and battling for grip and it's a delicate balancing act to keep it on the black stuff.

Since they do this several hundred times per race IMHO it's one of the most demanding skills required of a V8SC.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Over revving is part of it but these things are permanently on the knife edge of traction so not getting downshifts absolutely perfect can mean catastrophic lock up. Add the need to modulate brakes as you normally would when you're standing the thing on its nose and battling for grip and it's a delicate balancing act to keep it on the black stuff.

Since they do this several hundred times per race IMHO it's one of the most demanding skills required of a V8SC.
so why would a race org want to dumb it down? racing is SUPPOSED to be about only the best apply.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Only thing I can think of is:

Supercars says it saves money
There might actually be benefits such as closer and more overtaking, the driver being less occupied with gear changes and thus more focussed on other things. IIRC aero will be reduced too which will make overtaking easier.

Sponsored
OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
problem is with the reduced effort of the auto blip downshift is les likely to make mistakes and thus the racing is more follow my lead as everyone hits their brakes at the same time. Agreed the H pattern was awesome to watch, Ambrose at Adelaide in 04, Murphy at Bathurst Lap of the gods.
be interesting to see how the autoblip works, defo need to sort the aero so the cars can get right under each other and side by side racing

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
although SVG has no issue getting through the field with the same equipment so maybe it's driver mindset lol