Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black Manual GT, S2000, 350z, MT-03
Guys, Ford Australia has made a decision that the first oil change for GTs is done at 15,000km. I think it was a decision they felt provided the best compromise between cost / convenience / engine safety etc, for the average owner.
Most of us on this forum are enthusiasts who might be uncomfortable with a 15k oil change interval, and many of us drive our cars more... spiritedly... and are interested in mods. Heck, many of us wash our cars as often as we drive them!

So... Ignore the oil change warning and what the dealership does (eg. reset the oil chamge warning) and get your oil changed earlier than 15k!

It's not ever going to hurt your car and it will give you peace of mind :)

Ps. 5w20 is ok for colder climates and 5w30 is probably more suited for typical Aussie climates.
Sponsored

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
I ended up having to go back in there the following day to nip up the filter. filter cup socket and 3/8 flex head ratchet is needed, like you say its painful getting human body parts in there LOL

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
Guys, Ford Australia has made a decision that the first oil change for GTs is done at 15,000km. I think it was a decision they felt provided the best compromise between cost / convenience / engine safety etc, for the average owner.
Most of us on this forum are enthusiasts who might be uncomfortable with a 15k oil change interval, and many of us drive our cars more... spiritedly... and are interested in mods. Heck, many of us wash our cars as often as we drive them!

So... Ignore the oil change warning and what the dealership does (eg. reset the oil chamge warning) and get your oil changed earlier than 15k!

It's not ever going to hurt your car and it will give you peace of mind :)

Ps. 5w20 is ok for colder climates and 5w30 is probably more suited for typical Aussie climates.

I got dragged over the coals on another site for using 5W30

the comment being

"Hate to be a kill joy (potentially) Mustang should be 5-20 std running 5-30 we have seen errors in the vvt solenoid which will cause less power, torque and fuel economy will get worse as well as void warranty"

I was like Yawn, then double yawn and went off to the fridge to grab a beer...

tienlo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
I ended up having to go back in there the following day to nip up the filter. filter cup socket and 3/8 flex head ratchet is needed, like you say its painful getting human body parts in there LOL
Remote mount oil filter and aftermarket oil cooler makes it easier :)
(Don't pay any attention to the fact I blocked off access to my dipstick haha :headbonk:)
20170911_160937_HDR - Copy.jpg

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
Remote mount oil filter and aftermarket oil cooler makes it easier :)
(Don't pay any attention to the fact I blocked off access to my dipstick haha :headbonk:)
I really like the look of that, much better position. good to know it can be done

Sponsored

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
What kit is that?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I knew someone would pop up with one soon, it's begging for a solution. Remote filters appear on just about every R32-34 GTR for the same reasons. In theory you can make the kit yourself - components are a cooler, block take-off boss, filter boss, hose, and fittings. You might need to have some brackets made to mount the filter boss. Or...plumb a filter boss into the Mishimoto cooler kit (still need to have filter boss brackets made).

Suggested routing is block>filter>cooler>block so the filter catches carbon etc instead of it possibly coating the oil cooler internals.

Just my 2c.

Nice solution Tien, I'm assuming that with FI you've ditched the oem cooler? Very interested in hearing your thoughts, in particular interested to know what block take-off you used, how you've found it in practice (is that an anti drain filter:)) , and if you needed to relocate anything to accommodate it.

:cheers:

Edit: Just seen the Mishimoto kit on the EME website in your post so I'm thinking this is a boss plumbed into that kit?

Last edited:

tienlo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I got an aftermarket oil cooler from MMR, however there were issues regarding fittings (our oil coolers must be quite different from LHD oil coolers) and my huge front mount intercooler didnt help placement either!

In Andy's words (Eastside Mustang)...

We had to make some spacers to go between the mount and the block. Worked out pretty nicely all said and done. With the procharger definitely not a straight forward job. The charger and alternator had to be removed. We fabbed a bracket to mount the cooler. Lots of necessary bits missing from the kit. We are designing one using a Setrab cooler which will fit most cars. We are getting some parts made at the moment so it might be a while. Should be a nice fit ,complete kit and be very effective which is paramount

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks Tien, sounds like you've got the right people on the job. The LHD doesn't have the same fandangle as ours with the cooler I think their filter screws directly onto the block.

Far as I can see the Mishi unit isn't designed for a remote filter so I can understand why they probably needed spacers to clearance the fittings etc. Great to see they're making a kit, I'm surprised the aftermarket hasn't been onto it before given the failures people are having. Might be a candidate for a group buy when they're ready, I'll give them a call net week.

Appreciate the info.

tienlo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tien, sounds like you've got the right people on the job. The LHD doesn't have the same fandangle as ours with the cooler I think their filter screws directly onto the block.

Far as I can see the Mishi unit isn't designed for a remote filter so I can understand why they probably needed spacers to clearance the fittings etc. Great to see they're making a kit, I'm surprised the aftermarket hasn't been onto it before given the failures people are having. Might be a candidate for a group buy when they're ready, I'll give them a call net week.

Appreciate the info.
Mishimoto might be ok, I can only speak for MMR (modular motorsports racing)
:)

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Gotcha, I was thinking Mishimoto Racing = MMR which of course it isn't :headbonk:

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)

tienlo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
this kit?

looks and feels like our filter comes (RHD) off the block at a weird angle, is it the same for LHD?
That angle is prob why Eastside had to make spacers for Tien's.

For comparison here's the link to the Mishi kit with the thermostat but without a remote filter boss, sold by Mustang M'sport so I'm assuming it fits RHD; http://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/mishimoto-s550-mustang-v8-oil-cooler-kit.html

Drawbacks I see on the Mishi are that it needs a bespoke rad hose and doesn't have a remote filter boss (handy under the circumstances). But I do like the thermostat. MMR sell the filter boss separately but to plumb it into the Mishi kit you'd prob need to adapt / shorten the Mishi lines and have new ones made to incorporate the oil filter boss.

I think we need something like:

Block take off boss with thermo - Mishi
Remote filter boss - MMR
Cooler - Setrab or similar
Lines - someone with an in to Pirtek/Enzed etc who can mock it all up and get the routing and fittings spot on
Brackets - someone with a machine shop

The self contained thermo in the Mishi block boss is a neat arrangement, Earls make an inline thermostat that isn't as neat but could be used with the
MMR block take off if someone had the RHD adapter for it.

Hope that all makes sense, for those who don't have a sad and addictive history of car modification rest assured oil cooler installation is routine work for most modified car places. It's a bit of messing around when you're trying to put the bits together the first time so they all work but I reckon it could be a nice little earner for someone given our market and that of the EU/UK.

My car isn't in the run of those affected but I don't want to take the chance - have seen liquid/liquid fail before and it's not nice.

My 2c

S550GTRed5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I got dragged over the coals on another site for using 5W30

the comment being

"Hate to be a kill joy (potentially) Mustang should be 5-20 std running 5-30 we have seen errors in the vvt solenoid which will cause less power, torque and fuel economy will get worse as well as void warranty"

I was like Yawn, then double yawn and went off to the fridge to grab a beer...
Are you sure about that? What site was that? 5w-30 is whats recommended by Ford themselves in the manual you get with the car and what my dealer keeps on shoving in???
Sponsored