Sponsored

Audio enhancement understanding our setups and finding out the truth

DAZZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RHD Mustang GT S550 PP Platinum White
First ever post. Brand New Mustang GT in Australia.

Love the car but the Audio is a huge letdown. This is the premium 9 speaker system.

my first mod is to get the audio sorted before messing with the rest of the car.

I have read almost every thread in this forum and done some fiddling of my own.

I installed a amplifier in my spare wheel well, replaced the rear parcel shelf speakers with woofers and ran the high level signal from the rear output of the factory amplifier to the new amplifier. I knew this was not going to work but I needed to clarify for myself that the information on this forum was correct as there is so much conflicting information. It improved the sound tremendously, my speakers seem to produce some decent bass response, despite not being subwoofers but the plan is to not use rear speakers and only have a subwoofer in the trunk running off this amplifier. These woofers will the transferred to the front Doors once I have sorted out the ACM and DSP issues.

To confirm whats been noted on the forum.
The Rear signal from the factory amplifier manages to produce some low frequency but the noise cancellation interferes with this when the car is running. I am not sure when the engine is off if the full range is there or not, this full range I believe can be tapped off the front speaker signal.

I could take the high level signal from the front speaker output but the noise cancellation is still going to be a problem. This needs to be sorted first.

If you unplug the microphone that listens for the noise will this not introduce road noise into the car? I cannot find anyone who has experimented with this and reported the findings?

I could take a preamp signal from the output of the ACM. I could remove the factory DSP and amplifier all together but I am concerned about what the car will sound like without noise cancellation and any potential sound enhancements.

The other issue is that appears the louder you turn the volume up the audio has been shaped by the ACM (Headunit) this is supposedly designed to prevent damage to the $2 speakers. Which means keeping the existing factory amp and replacing the speakers is not going to fully recognize the potential of the new speakers.

So one needs to use forscan and change the hex code to allow for a flat response without shaping.

I am thinking of unplugging the output and noise cancellation plug from the ACM and drive the car without the noise cancellation circuit and potential sound enhancement.

If this proves to not make a difference then maybe the best way to resolve the audio issues is the following:

Make a wiring harness for a new amplifier with pre amp ouputs, remove the existing factory amplifier use forscan to program a flat signal.

appreciate anyone information regarding noise cancellation and sound enhancements, who has removed the factory DSP/amplifier all together and does not appear to have any issues with the road noise or lack of fake noise (which may not be in the GT anyway)

Sorry for the long post.
Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Had new amp installed in my '17 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.3L Ecoboost.
Noise cancellation microphone was unplugged.
Cannot hear additional road noise.

OP
OP
DAZZA

DAZZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new amp installed in my '17 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.3L Ecoboost.
Noise cancellation microphone was unplugged.
Cannot hear additional road noise.
Thanks for your reply.

I wonder whats the point of having noise cancellation in the car if it does not make a difference?

Who else has tested the mustang without noise cancellation circuit before ripping out the factory amplifier?

Has anyone cut the noise cancellation wires to the factory amplifier and kept the original factory amplifier installed?

Also can someone please confirm for me if there is any sound enhancement and if this is done by the ACM or the DSP/Amp if its done by the ACM then changing the amplifier should not effect the sound enhancement.

To me these factors are important steps in moving forward and improving the sound system.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
First off, welcome to the forum!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the forscan tool. That seems to be the simplest way to remove the processing from the system.

OP
OP
DAZZA

DAZZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off, welcome to the forum!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the forscan tool. That seems to be the simplest way to remove the processing from the system.
Many thanks for the welcome Mumbles!

Yes, you are correct. Personally don't think its worthwhile doing anything until the code is changed in the ACM to remove the noise shaping and the Noise Cancellation is removed which can also be done by changing the code in the ACM.

I have been investigating some other threads and getting conflicting information about what code to change. Not sure if anyone can help and point me to the thread with the source of truth together with someone who has physically done it and validated it works?

In the next few days I am going to unplug the mic in the rear headliner and see if the bass returns in the rear when driving around.

There is a vast difference in bass response when driving vs engine off, so simply adding a subwoofer is not enough, this noise cancellation circuit will interfere.

There is more than one mic apparently but not confirmed.

If I remove the mic I can also see if I get more road noise coming from the rear.

Would be nice if those that have done this coding change can confirm and send the coding details with an explanation.

Also the details for a cheap (but working) coder to use with forscan. I read the whole forscan thread from beginning to end and its hard to get the correct information.

On a side note: Those that are installing amplifier in RHD vehicles there is grommet on vehicles right hand side that pulls out and behind that grommet is a underlay for the carpet that also has a precut hole the size of the grommet that you can push out and the positive cable simply runs down the entire right hand side of the car without having to remove a single panel...Installation was a piece of cake. - Sorry I did not take pictures for everyone. You do not need to remove the inside wheel well cover.

Ground Wire was taken from a grounding point under the plastic boot cover at the rear of the vehicle that cover the boot lock mechanism etc. There is an existing ground wire and bolt there for something else also easy job and easy to get to.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Do GTs in Australia have active noise cancellation? They sure don't here in the states. Only Ecoboost Mustangs have active noise cancellation. Very nice color choice, BTW. Seems to be relatively rare.

OP
OP
DAZZA

DAZZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do GTs in Australia have active noise cancellation? They sure don't here in the states. Only Ecoboost Mustangs have active noise cancellation. Very nice color choice, BTW. Seems to be relatively rare.
Thanks. I am pleased to hear this. Yes I am proud of the color its rare over here as well. The mustang is rare over here but starting to be come common which is a pity.

Sounds like its not necessary to use forscan at all with the premium 9 speaker system.

simply follow the diagram above rip out the factory amplifier by making a wiring loom and all is sweet.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Sounds like its not necessary to use forscan at all with the premium 9 speaker system.
I believe that you still need to disable the bass roll off as volume increases to get a consistent signal.
Sponsored