DUFF TT

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Twin Turbo
Forgot to add--the contact surface of the tires had a waxy feel to them when they were delivered to me, similar to the more slick feeling of the tire sidewalls. That seems to be wearing off, as now the color/texture of the tread is very different than the rubber elsewhere on the tire. Might be common, not sure. Do guys typically do a burnout to properly prep a drag radial? This is my first set of DR tires.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DUFF TT

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
Haven't been in a position to where I could lay down a good burnout to see how it impacts grip, so I can't report on that yet. I still notice a massive difference in grip between when I first set out on a drive and after the car has been in motion for a while, however. Tires have zero grip until warm, and I think it's fair to say they're somewhat dangerous when cold if you don't know to expect having no grip whatsoever. I dropped air pressure from 26 psi to 20 psi last night to see if that would improve grip (315/30/R20).

So, no good data on performance when run hard yet, but I feel pretty comfortable saying these would be awful tires for a daily, a car being driven in temps below 70 on a regular basis, or a car you want to be able to run hard through the twisties.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Do guys typically do a burnout to properly prep a drag radial?
My understanding is yes-ish. You don't do an absolute ripper of a burnout like someone on a bias ply does, more of a turn em a bit to get some heat in/clean em off.

OP
OP
DUFF TT

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
My understanding is yes-ish. You don't do an absolute ripper of a burnout like someone on a bias ply does, more of a turn em a bit to get some heat in/clean em off.
Yea, that's kinda what I figured. Where I live, it's really difficult to find a straight, flat road to run on that isn't absolutely peppered with highway patrol, so I haven't been able to try a 3rd gear pull after a burnout yet, but I have tried pulls on a warm road with temps in the low 80s, and it still blows the tires off. Like many suggested, I think 900whp is just too much for a 20" DR, regardless of which one you go with. I'll most likely move to a proper drag pack setup instead.

EDIT: Holding off on any conclusions until I can implement/test Atturo's recommendations below.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DUFF TT

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
I decided to reach out to Atturo to ask about recommended tire pressures for this new tire series, and am glad I did. The info below is a direct copy/paste from our email exchange. I want to note that they responded within the hour, and quite thoroughly, which is a nice change of pace compared to most customer service experiences I typically have these days. I'm going to put their recommendations to use as soon as able, and will share results.

My message:
Hello! I purchased a set of Atturo AZ850DR tires from a wholesaler back in early March this year, and the weather in my area (Ohio) finally warmed up enough to mount these to my twin turbo '17 Mustang GT. I purchased the tires sized 315/30/R20. What is the recommended psi for these tires to maximize grip? I've tried 26psi, 22psi, and 20 psi, and the grip isn't what I was anticipating, though I may need to go lower. In temperatures below 70F (but above 55F), these tires are a bit frightening. I break traction even when slowly backing out of my driveway if the tires are cold. I was previously running Conti Extreme Contact Summer tires in roughly the same size (305/30/R20), and never experienced this. I have yet to test the grip after a proper burnout, but am hoping that will yield improved traction. Granted, I make right at about 900whp, but I'm struggling to get traction when trying to accelerate hard in 3rd gear cruising at 60+mph on warm days on a warm, dry, and flat road, and also with taller-than-stock gearing, but am hoping I just have too much air in the tires. I appreciate any advice you can give me! I previously texted with someone at Atturo shortly after I purchased these tires, but lost their contact information.

regards,
Kyle Dearduff

Atturo's response:
Thank you for reaching out to Atturo Tires. The AZ850DR does have a bit of break-in period with its unique tread compound and it is not recommended for use under 60 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s also recommended to have the tires heat cycled before use or to break them in with a couple of controlled hard burnouts. As for air pressure, we tested the tires on a Dodge Challenger at a track using 18 psi. I don’t think the weight is all that different between that vehicle and your Mustang so I would suggest mid to upper teens when using the tires for a true performance run. Day to day and just cruising without doing any hard pulls I would try to keep the pressures in the lower to mid 20’s.

We’ve also made a short video about the AZ850DR’s here:

(24) UNVEILING THE TRUTH: Your Burning Questions about the Atturo AZ850DR Answered! - YouTube. I will say my favorite part is seeing how much softer the tread is visually after the burnout.

Regards,

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
That's awesome they got back to you so quickly. Also didn't realize you were in Cincy when I responded the first time around. I'm in Lex - gonna have to get up there and lay eyes on that beast.

OP
OP
DUFF TT

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome they got back to you so quickly. Also didn't realize you were in Cincy when I responded the first time around. I'm in Lex - gonna have to get up there and lay eyes on that beast.
There's a very active Mustang group here (Mustangs of Cincinnati on FB). I can't make a ton of meets on account of having three young kids, but I do attend what I can! They post up meets all over the greater Cincinnati area constantly. You could just about attend one daily.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Oh, excellent! I'll have to check em out. We've got one in Lex as well, but not nearly as happening.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DUFF TT

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
Oh, excellent! I'll have to check em out. We've got one in Lex as well, but not nearly as happening.
Very friendly, knowledgeable group, too. The meets that are organized by that group are very family-friendly, as well, in case you have any kids. Mustangs from the 80s and up are always represented well, and you get some classics at the bigger meets. Definitely not a hooning/takeover type of crowd.

OP
OP
DUFF TT

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
**UPDATE**

Per Atturo, I aired down the tires to 18psi and went hunting for an empty access road with a friend who knows my area better than I do when it comes to finding good roads to safely lay down some rubber. First line lock attempt ended in me stalling out, as I had never attempted this feature in any car in my life. Second attempt, though...well, just check out the pictures! A perfect, 15 second burnout, lighting up the tires and billowing smoke into the air. A little work van did get stuck behind me, but he didn't mind. We went different directions at the stop sign, and he did a "burnout" in his delivery truck!

The tires are now crazy sticky. I was laying into it with all 900whp in second and third up through about 5,500 rpm, and the tires had no problems sticking. These roads are country with deer, telephone poles, etc everywhere, so I didn't bury the tach, but all signs point to the tires holding the power very well. I've never been able to really enjoy all the power my car makes until now! Best Fathers Day gift ever!

burnout1.jpg

burnout2.jpg

burnout3.jpg

burnout4.jpg

OP
OP
DUFF TT

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
I don't have any 60' times or anything like that I can post, but I've now put more miles on these tires and absolutely love them. Without question, these are straight-line, good weather tires. They require some heat, and are still slick as shit until you get heat in them. Once they're warm, however, they stick very well even in second gear. They pick up large quantities of gravel/debris when you slow down for a traffic light, just like a drag slick. I also learned over this past weekend that they DO NOT like power in the bendy parts of the road. Not surprising, given the lack of actual tread lining in the tires, but just putting that out there. These are meant to grip in straight lines, and they accomplish that feat with aplomb. I'm extremely happy with these tires, and will continue to run them in the future. I'm able to enjoy my car in ways I was never able to while running the Conti Extreme rears and fronts. Getting 900whp to hook in second, and ripping up into fourth is an experience that puts the biggest smile on my face every single time. If you're looking for straight-line performance, and can compromise on the kinds of conditions these tires are optimal/safe in, I highly recommend these tires. My car only comes out on nice, clear days, so these are perfect for me.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I don't have any 60' times or anything like that I can post, but I've now put more miles on these tires and absolutely love them. Without question, these are straight-line, good weather tires. They require some heat, and are still slick as shit until you get heat in them. Once they're warm, however, they stick very well even in second gear. They pick up large quantities of gravel/debris when you slow down for a traffic light, just like a drag slick. I also learned over this past weekend that they DO NOT like power in the bendy parts of the road. Not surprising, given the lack of actual tread lining in the tires, but just putting that out there. These are meant to grip in straight lines, and they accomplish that feat with aplomb. I'm extremely happy with these tires, and will continue to run them in the future. I'm able to enjoy my car in ways I was never able to while running the Conti Extreme rears and fronts. Getting 900whp to hook in second, and ripping up into fourth is an experience that puts the biggest smile on my face every single time. If you're looking for straight-line performance, and can compromise on the kinds of conditions these tires are optimal/safe in, I highly recommend these tires. My car only comes out on nice, clear days, so these are perfect for me.

I just picked up a set of these...my car is also TT making over 900. Great review and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
DUFF TT

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
Don't skimp on the burnout! Those tires will be like driving on ice until you get a good burnout on them. After that, a little heat and they're extremely sticky. You'll gather up rocks and other debris when you roll up to a traffic light once they're hot.
Sponsored