Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
But it's legal to do the below......most aren't doing more than that anyway. At least I'm not.

Brake part replacement

Minor tune-ups

Change of oil and filter

Repair of flat tires

Lubrication

Last edited:

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Talk about over regulation... wow.
I feel for anyone living in CA on the whole, even more so now for those in Sacramento. Do they not have anything better to worry about out there? Seriously???? Sure.. oil changes, brakes, whatnot... that's all good. But what happens to the father and son who want to restore an old car in their garage together? Geez....

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
But it's legal to the below......most aren't doing more than that anyway. At least I'm not.

Brake part replacement

Minor tune-ups

Change of oil and filter

Repair of flat tires

Lubrication
Seriously??? It's citizens property. So people can poop, piss, and shoot illegal drugs in public. But homeowners cannot legally work on their cars as they wish.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ballsacramento.

That’s one fucked up state run by mentally unstable hyper-progressive liberals. Shame it’s so beautiful and has so much to offer.

If you’re bored, look up Orange County airport departure videos. There’s a specific flight path/power cut cycle upon climb out that will probably make half the plane shit itself to appease to “noise pollution” to the rich folk down on the ground who are upset they purchased a home under a flight path,

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
This law is to prevent people from having a shop in there garage and a eyesore for there community. all of the big car company’s have been pushing to make it illegal for anyone besides a registered shop to work on cars. They claim that the cars today are to advance for the average person to work or and that it will be dangerous for them and the public if they do

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I’m glad I don’t live there and if I did I’d be moving in the near future.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
But it's legal to the below......most aren't doing more than that anyway. At least I'm not.

Brake part replacement

Minor tune-ups

Change of oil and filter

Repair of flat tires

Lubrication
Because that's oh so much better...

Sponsored
OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
This law is to prevent people from having a shop in there garage and a eyesore for there community. all of the big car company’s have been pushing to make it illegal for anyone besides a registered shop to work on cars. They claim that the cars today are to advance for the average person to work or and that it will be dangerous for them and the public if they do
So close any illegal unlicensed shops down. There should already be business licensing laws and zoning regulations to deal with that issue. IMHO this is a far overreach.

94Mustang302ci

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
I work as a Code Compliance Officer in Georgia and we have similar zoning codes. You can't work on other people's cars on your property, minor auto repair is permitted but major repair can't exceed 72hrs in plain sight. So if you have a garage you're good. If you don't, well nobody wants to look at your junk vehicle when they get home no matter how amazing you think it is. I understand as an enthusiasts you want to be able to fix on your own stuff on your own property. Our codes allow that with some guidelines in place but people bringing cars to the local mechanics house to get work done isn't allowed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I work as a Code Compliance Officer in Georgia and we have similar zoning codes. You can't work on other people's cars on your property, minor auto repair is permitted but major repair can't exceed 72hrs in plain sight. So if you have a garage you're good. If you don't, well nobody wants to look at your junk vehicle when they get home no matter how amazing you think it is. I understand as an enthusiasts you want to be able to fix on your own stuff on your own property. Our codes allow that with some guidelines in place but people bringing cars to the local mechanics house to get work done isn't allowed.
That seems entirely reasonable. The Sacramento version is not.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Completely understandable you don’t want a shadetree mechanic setting up shop in a neighborhood and having cars/parts all over. The stipulations that article outlines is beyond stopping that and infringes on a car enthusiasts ability to do work on their own vehicle, or a buddy’s vehicle on their OWN property beyond “minor” maintenance such as oil changes, brakes, etc.

That means forgot restoring a car with your kid, helping a buddy swap a clutch (imagine being stopped and questioned by the police in your own driveway for doing this)... “is this vehicle registered to this residence? No? Are you aware that’s illegal? Here’s a fine, have a nice day”. Totally stupid.

It also mentions having to perform work in a full enclosed garage (imagine being the sucker that doesn’t have one) and not being able to use tools “commonly” found around the house. I’m sure trans jacks, presses, engine hoist, anything that looks remotely useful is probably banned under this law. Hell, hide your compression tester too!!

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Talk about over regulation... wow.
But what happens to the father and son who want to restore an old car in their garage together? Geez....
Got a guy doing that right now in my underground community garage. He has about 5 cars down there. He rents garage spots from other tenants that an extra spot they're not using. But he's not replacing engines down there....mostly cosmetic and interior stuff.

If you have your garage door closed or cracked, I don't know how anyone will be able to tell what you're doing. But I agree the law is kind of stupid. Glad I don't live in Sacramento anyway.

I don't like the CA gas tax and lots of things in CA. But my condo is almost paid off and I'm 1 mile from the coast. Where I am we have the best weather in the country and possibly the world. I'm not going anywhere for that reason alone.
Sponsored