Sponsored

At what point should I change my OEM brake pads before a track day?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
After 5 track events I still have around 7 mm left on the front pads (both outside and inside pad). So clearly I am not that hard on the brakes since the OEM pads are just over 9 mm thick when new. I have an event at Pocono coming up soon and I was wondering whether I should change the pads out before then. I figure I still have around 2 mm left before hitting the squeakers. Does pad wear accelerate as they get thinner or does it stay linear?
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
After 5 track events I still have around 7 mm left on the front pads (both outside and inside pad). So clearly I am not that hard on the brakes since the OEM pads are just over 9 mm thick when new. I have an event at Pocono coming up soon and I was wondering whether I should change the pads out before then. I figure I still have around 2 mm left before hitting the squeakers. Does pad wear accelerate as they get thinner or does it stay linear?
I run non-oem track pads on the 350, but every set of brake pads I’ve ever used have had linear wear (unless they had a .5 mm break in material at the top of the pad, which of course wears faster.)

Id say you’re more than fine given your super light wear thus far, although it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get another set of pads ordered to keep on hand so you’re ready when you need them.

I’ve had a set of track pads disintegrate on me during a track day (not the 350.). Ever since then, I carry spare pads and tools to change to every track event just in case the pads fail, or I’ve worn them at an unpredictably fast rate.

Enjoy Pocono!

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I run non-oem track pads on the 350, but every set of brake pads I’ve ever used have had linear wear (unless they had a .5 mm break in material at the top of the pad, which of course wears faster.)

Id say you’re more than fine given your super light wear thus far, although it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get another set of pads ordered to keep on hand so you’re ready when you need them.

I’ve had a set of track pads disintegrate on me during a track day (not the 350.). Ever since then, I carry spare pads and tools to change to every track event just in case the pads fail, or I’ve worn them at an unpredictably fast rate.

Enjoy Pocono!
Okay thanks for the input. Yeah I have a spare set of OEM pads sitting around from last year. I thought I would wear mine out much faster than I am. I also have a Caliperflexion kit and am awaiting the opportunity to change the pads so I can swap that in. But given the seemingly low availability of OEM pads I would like to get as much use out of mine as safely possible.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That's a good question, and i think the manufacture would have that answer (?). My guess is wear is linear.

All of my cars run to the first squeaker event, then are changed, extends the life of the rotors.

As I rotate tires, done with the oil change cycles. I inspect the pads, notice them getting close ? Put a set on the shelf.

Fronts typically wear almost 2 too 1 over the rear set. Not having burned thru a set of pads on the Mustang, not sure about that.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
That's a good question, and i think the manufacture would have that answer (?). My guess is wear is linear.

All of my cars run to the first squeaker event, then are changed, extends the life of the rotors.

As I rotate tires, done with the oil change cycles. I inspect the pads, notice them getting close ? Put a set on the shelf.

Fronts typically wear almost 2 too 1 over the rear set. Not having burned thru a set of pads on the Mustang, not sure about that.
Ah okay. So I guess the bedding in process with new pads accelerates rotor wear?

Also I suppose a danger of running thinner pads is decreased heat dissipation. Or would that not really matter with a difference of 2 mm?

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Ah okay. So I guess the bedding in process with new pads accelerates rotor wear?

Also I suppose a danger of running thinner pads is decreased heat dissipation. Or would that not really matter with a difference of 2 mm?
I don’t think bedding in has a measurable effect on the rotors, but more so on the pads (even then, it isn’t much.). I ran through 3 sets of track pads on the front before the rotors started showing heat cracks, and then were replaced under warranty. Other than the heat cracks, the rotors were still in great shape.

Even though thinner pads have less mass and could carry less heat, I highly doubt you’d be able to show much of a heat dissipation difference with how you’re utilizing the car. I wouldn’t sweat it.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Sounds to me like your pads are fine. But you said one interesting thing - you're going to use the first pad change to swap in the Caliperfexion kit. In that case, I'd go ahead and install the kit before the track day, use the opportunity to fully inspect the brakes (and hubs and ball joints), and then put the old pads back in if you're happy with the wear. That way, if you do need to swap during the event for some reason, it will be a much faster, easier job.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Sounds to me like your pads are fine. But you said one interesting thing - you're going to use the first pad change to swap in the Caliperfexion kit. In that case, I'd go ahead and install the kit before the track day, use the opportunity to fully inspect the brakes (and hubs and ball joints), and then put the old pads back in if you're happy with the wear. That way, if you do need to swap during the event for some reason, it will be a much faster, easier job.
That's a good point. Might as well install the kit when taking a closer look at the brakes rather than waiting.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That's a good point. Might as well install the kit when taking a closer look at the brakes rather than waiting.
I agree with the above, spend some more time with the mistress, get those in and you'll have less stress that day.

Matt, I don't know if you're bringing your own tools and such but everything that I need fits in the trunk, in that bin, and anything else just lays inside the trunk. Bin includes motive bleeder, new brake pads, 2 jack stands, and anything else I don't want rolling around in the trunk. I also discovered a 10x10 canopy fits and I'll throw the counter weights on the passenger seat. I attached my track event prep guide and everything on the list fits in the car.

1620163497686.png

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I agree with the above, spend some more time with the mistress, get those in and you'll have less stress that day.

Matt, I don't know if you're bringing your own tools and such but everything that I need fits in the trunk, in that bin, and anything else just lays inside the trunk. Bin includes motive bleeder, new brake pads, 2 jacks, and anything else I don't want crushed. I also discovered a 10x10 canopy fits and I'll throw the counter weights on the passenger seat. I attached my track event prep guide and everything on the list fits in the car.

Thanks! That's quite helpful. Yeah I have a similar looking plastic tub for the various parts and fluids. Last year when I went to VIR I also had one wheel in the trunk and the three others in my "support car" AKA my wife's car since I didn't want to get stranded in case something happened to one of the tires. When I go to Summit Point it is close enough that I just mount my track wheels and drive there so that is less of an issue.

Pocono is around 3 hours away so I may need to call in the support car again :crackup:

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Keep in mind that the pad material itself act as a heat insulator for the pistons and therefore brake fluid
It’s why you never want to run your pads too much down on a track
50% or more is plenty safe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks! That's quite helpful. Yeah I have a similar looking plastic tub for the various parts and fluids. Last year when I went to VIR I also had one wheel in the trunk and the three others in my "support car" AKA my wife's car since I didn't want to get stranded in case something happened to one of the tires. When I go to Summit Point it is close enough that I just mount my track wheels and drive there so that is less of an issue.

Pocono is around 3 hours away so I may need to call in the support car again :crackup:
I can understand that. I'm currently tied to GA and Barber in AL. I will admit though that if I'm concerned of rain then the 4S is a very capable track tire and that is what I'd switch out too. Why 4S? The rain concern and then if it's dry, you can still push it beyond many other tires options. I recently saw a video that showed it was 2 seconds slower than cup tires. That's pretty damn good... as far as a flat tire plan... well there is none. I suppose it falls under bad luck and on the same disaster plan as plans getting crushed by roadkill.

Last edited:

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Absolutely concur. The kit isn't difficult to install, but you have clean up time with the thread locker, etc. and you will appreciate having done it in advance.
Sponsored