Sponsored

At what HP should one sleeve their 5 liter? Any benefits of sleeving if not going over 1000whp?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The problem with the GT350 IS the Voodoo engine. It is a ROCKING COUPLE from the factory., It just isn't a well balanced engine with it's up down up down configurations.

A few Youtubers and PBD have torn down a blown up engine, the bores all look fine (except where the piston fails of course), it's the pistons that fail and mangle shit up.
I've seen a couple of vids where guys pull apart voodoos and even cylinders that didn't nuke have signs of scrape/wear. I'm just saying a razor thin coating of iron isn't exactly confidence inspiring when throwing in pistons that don't fully expand until warm. The rings are probably contacting the bores at slightly off angles under certain conditions.

I read once that it only saves Ford like $64 ($8/cylinder) for the plasma coating vs. sleeves and it's not all that much additional weight. But like most things, I'm sure it's an effort to eek out every MPG they can.
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I've seen a couple of vids where guys pull apart voodoos and even cylinders that didn't nuke have signs of scrape/wear. I'm just saying a razor thin coating of iron isn't exactly confidence inspiring when throwing in pistons that don't fully expand until warm. The rings are probably contacting the bores at slightly off angles under certain conditions.

I read once that it only saves Ford like $64 ($8/cylinder) for the plasma coating vs. sleeves and it's not all that much additional weight. But like most things, I'm sure it's an effort to eek out every MPG they can.
the cylinder ptwa coating is stronger than iron and if the cylinder gets damaged it can be reapplied cheaper then sleeving. no cylinder will hold up to a poor build

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
I am having them sleeve my motor BTW.
Sponsored