Sponsored

At last! An easy and cheap spare tire solution for Performance Pack Mustangs!

leesonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 6-speed Grabber Blue, Perf Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Like the title says, I have come up with an easy and cheap (relatively) spare tire solution for Performance Pack Mustangs.

Back in December 2017 I bought myself a very low mileage 2017 Grabber Blue GT with a 6-speed and the Performance Pack. I have always been nervous about not having a spare tire, since these models only come with an inflation kit. So after some thought, I decided to try a little bit of British ingenuity on this American Classic.

Here is my car, jacked up and ready to have the front wheel removed. This tire wasn't flat, rather I found a big screw in it when I was washing it, and wanted to take the wheel in to get the tire fixed.

Mustang Spare 01.jpg

With the wheel removed from the car, I cleaned up the surface of the rotor with a wire brush.

Mustang Spare 02.jpg

This is a 2" wheel spacer mounted to the hub. I found a pair on eBay, be careful to get ones that are hub-centric, I always try to buy spacers that are either American or European made. I have used German made H&R Trak+ spacers on a couple of my Merkur XR4Ti's and my Focus, with no problems. The nuts holding this spacer on are 19mm, not 21mm like the factory lug nuts. Our Mustangs are 5 x 4.5" (5 x 114.3mm) lug pattern, with M14x1.5mm studs, and a 70.5mm center bore. The screwdriver you see in the bottom of the picture is one I stuck in the vented rotor so I could tighten the nuts up. If you are travelling with a passenger, you could just have them put their foot on the brake while you tighten these.

Mustang Spare 03.jpg

Mustang Spare 04.jpg

And here it is, a factory 18" Ford spare saver spare, sitting on the car. I bought this as a kit on eBay, it came with the jack and hold down clamp. When I said "cheap" above, this cost me $200 as it was brand new, but you might be able to get a used one for less. The prices vary on eBay, see if you can get someone to come down a little on their price. The part number is FR3Z-1K007-C.

Mustang Spare 05.jpg

As you can see here, there is now plenty of clearance between the wheel and the caliper.

Mustang Spare 06.jpg

After I took the car around the block to settle the suspension, it doesn't look too bad does it? I chose the black spare to go with my black wheels, if you have silver wheels I think they do a silver spare. It fills the arch a little more with the 2" spacer on it. OK, so nobody is going to think your car looks cool with a donut on, but this way, they might not notice it. Remember, these donut spares are only rated for 50mph, so take care not to exceed this speed driving home. Also, the donut is about half the width of the Performance Pack front tires, so be careful on the corners as well.

Mustang Spare 07.jpg

Mustang Spare 08.jpg

Mustang Spare 09.jpg

So to recap, what you'll need in your trunk is :

A factory 18" space saver spare. I went with the Ford kit, as it has the jack and hold down clamp.
A jack if you don't have the spare tire kit above.
A 50mm or 2" hub-centric wheel spacer.
A 21mm deep socket, 1/2" drive.
A 19mm deep socket, 1/2" drive.
A 1/2 drive breaker bar or torque wrench.
An old screwdriver to lock the hub as you tighten the spacer nuts.

I keep all my stuff under the factory spare tire cover. The spacer and the sockets are wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a small cardboard box, stuffed in the corner of the spare tire well. The breaker bar I have inside a pool noodle just sitting in the trunk, maybe one day I will Velcro it somewhere.

I hope this helps.

Lee.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Very nice write up. I'm sure a number of PP owners are going to appreciate your efforts.

DymondBack537

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dymond
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 5.0 PP2 1966 Mustang Sprint 200
This is great! Thank you! I've always thought it to be crazy from Ford to leave a space in the trunk for a spare and then essentially supply you with fix-a-flat solution and an air pump.

757DRVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have a 2016 GT Premium with stock brakes and wheels, Does the space saver fit without the spacer? Thanks!

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro

Sammy Killer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3 Shadow Black
Love it, as I have a spare tire myself that I have never used, I wish I could carry it in the vehicle. unfortunately, I got a BAP installed recently and it sits inside the spare tire well. Maybe i'll figure something out to make sure I can take it with me anywhere.

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
Id the diameter of the spare the same as the diameter of the rear tire? I've heard that differently sized tires can damage the torsen differential (as found on performance package cars) in less than 50 miles.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Id the diameter of the spare the same as the diameter of the rear tire? I've heard that differently sized tires can damage the torsen differential (as found on performance package cars) in less than 50 miles.
The factory Mustang spare is over 2" smaller in diameter than the Performance Pack tires. The factory Explorer spare is within 1/4" of the diameter of the Performance Pack tires.

Sponsored

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Late to this post and like what you have done but curious if there is a stock regular tire and wheel that will fit on the stock lugs? Back in 2012 I researched and found a tire for a spare on my 2012 GT that would fit within 1/4" of stock tires with Brembos and still fit in trunk although it was tight. Came in handy on one trip and hate to travel without a spare..
I can not remember what tire that was and know a lot has changed between the 197 and 550. Was nice as I finished my trip without a 50mph spare.

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
this is a good workaround. the cheapest solution if u had a flat front tire would be to use the factory spare to replace the rear wheel and then take the rear wheel and replace the front. this would be 2x the work but likely you wouldnt need to do it often

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What's the narrowest spacer that would work? Does it NEED to be 2". Would 1" work?

Skeetbender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I know this is an old thread, I have a question on explorer 19in. fitment with a spacer.

I recently got a 2019 GT with the Brembos, the front suspension has been lowered.

Will the Explorer 19in. spare with spacer clear the front fender without rubbing?

The one photo makes the spare tire look like it is outside the wheel well.

I would like a spare as the times I had tire issues the goop and a little compressor would not have helped at all.

Thanks
Sponsored