Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Dear all,

my car was in the garage to hunt some noise issues in my suspension.
Endlinks are done, new ones are already here and will be put in into the car shortly.
While being in the garage the mechanic said they found a potential problem in my automatic transmission (6R80).

The mechanic said it has play of about one inch in each rolling direction in the output shaft.

He said he couldn't find any spare parts for this problem and therefor the transmission needs to be replaced.
Car has run 125.000 km (roughly around 77670 miles), and such a problem seems to be very unusual as i couldn't find any information about such a problem via Google, but tons of threads about radial play and a few about axial play.

Does anyone have any information about such a condition with the 6R80 transmission?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For the 2015-2017’s there were driveline vibration issues. This is discussed very thoroughly with much detail in the TSB/Issues sub-forum on here.

Along with that, there were a few TSB/SSM’s from Ford regarding the 6R80:

1) there was a TSB/SSM directing the Servicing Center to replace the driveshaft with a revised unit

2) There was a TSB/SSM that if a 6R80 was “clunking” or “clanking” when the car was put into gear, the directive to the Service Center was to replace the front transmission flange.

3) If the Service Center is to replace the driveshaft, usually they would replace the rear pinion flange. This should be outlined in Ford’s Shop Manuals OR a TSB/SSM directive.

I don’t think you need an entire trans; I think your Service Center needs to review all of the TSB/SSMs for the 2015-2017 S550 w/6R80 and determine if the driveshaft needs replacing OR if both the front trans flange and rear pinion flange need to be replaced and set to spec.

The Tech working on your car may not be familiar with the flange tolerances as if they are slightly off, there will be play. Again they should be referencing Ford Shop Manuals or docs relating to the car and trans type.

Go into the huge driveline vibe thread - and MANY of the actual Ford TSB/SSMs documents have been posted there as well as how to get the slop out of the driveline and/or fix the known issues.

OP
OP

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Took a look at that thread, but as i don't have any vibrations, clunking or other things whatsoever i had the mechanic show me the "problem".
The output of the transmission had a slight play of around 1-2 mm in either direction.
As i cannot hear any unusual noises from the trans, nor vibrations or clunking (not regularly anyway, it clunks from time to time when the car was standing for some days, but not always, maybe 1 out of 10 times) we agreed on not doing anything right now.
Nevertheless i'll take another look at that long thread and fetch the TSB numbers from there, just in case. ;)

Thanks for your answer... :)
Sponsored