At 13,466 miles Sport Cup 2's gave up

MrRogers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Defender, F-TYPE
I wouldn't run anything other than PS4S's now personally. They are a great tire and have handled the track, tons of back roads, and long freeway slogs with ease.
Sponsored

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
There are two different compounds of Sport Cup 2's. The GT350 R and the Mustang GT performance pack 2 both got a stickier compound than the 2019+ Gt350 received.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pilot-sport-cup-2-differences-r-pp2-vs-gt350.135206/

A GT350 R will get about 5-6,000 miles on a set of theri Cup 2's, but the 2019+ Gt350 can see around 12,000 miles on their "Cup 2's".

Anyone who's hit 12,000+ miles on their pilot super sports will tell you that the type of inside tire wear you're seeing is common with the toe and camber settings these cars run when street driven.
Very interesting, I wonder what tires the Mach 1 got...

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't run anything other than PS4S's now personally. They are a great tire and have handled the track, tons of back roads, and long freeway slogs with ease.
I feel like they tend to get overheated at the track and feel great, but not too bad. Definitely manageable.

MrRogers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Defender, F-TYPE
I feel like they tend to get overheated at the track and feel great, but not too bad. Definitely manageable.
Yea towards the end of a 25 minute session at Laguna they felt a little greasy, but never unmanageable or falling off a cliff bad

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Thanks for reposting Brett Turnages MT article.
Just another reason to stick with the OE tires for me. All OE parts work together as originally designedā€¦.Iā€™m good with that.
I get what you are saying Fred with the "OE" tires. I went with the "Pilot Super Sport" jobs after my GT-350 Track Attack experience as this is what they had on those cars when I was there in Sept of 2020. I asked why they chose that particular tire and the response was "they hold up really well and the performance is above the average driving habits and abilities of mostGT-350 drivers". I have 3-2day events on my tires and they are still quite serviceable. Granted I'm not at the level that a lot of the "track" guys are, I do have Vorshlag camber plates that I adjust when I get to the track. They are "Factory" sizes and were less $$$ than the "Cup 2s" which I still have on the stock rims and will use them when temperature and moisture conditions permit. :wink:

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if that explains some of the rumors that it's faster around track than the 350.
Probably. My base GT is faster around the track than the GT350. Driver and tire can do big things, 2-5 seconds a lap from either, huge difference between an R-compound and a street tire, case and point, Goodyear SuperCar 3 / 3R.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I get what you are saying Fred with the "OE" tires. I went with the "Pilot Super Sport" jobs after my GT-350 Track Attack experience as this is what they had on those cars when I was there in Sept of 2020. I asked why they chose that particular tire and the response was "they hold up really well and the performance is above the average driving habits and abilities of mostGT-350 drivers". I have 3-2day events on my tires and they are still quite serviceable. Granted I'm not at the level that a lot of the "track" guys are, I do have Vorshlag camber plates that I adjust when I get to the track. They are "Factory" sizes and were less $$$ than the "Cup 2s" which I still have on the stock rims and will use them when temperature and moisture conditions permit. :wink:
Thanks for that Ray.
As of now Iā€™m leaning towards what came with the car but could be swayed. Second choice is the PSS you mentioned that came with the ā€˜18 model year.
When I bought this car the plan was to spend around 2K for new tires 1-2 times per year. You can imagine how happy Iā€™ve been getting two years out of the Cup2ā€™s.

Sponsored

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that Ray.
As of now Iā€™m leaning towards what came with the car but could be swayed. Second choice is the PSS you mentioned that came with the ā€˜18 model year.
When I bought this car the plan was to spend around 2K for new tires 1-2 times per year. You can imagine how happy Iā€™ve been getting two years out of the Cup2ā€™s.
I put PS4S on when I got it, and while I've loved them as street tires, they're pretty wrecked after my first 3 trackdays.

Went with Ford Performance Cup 2 this time, and think I will follow that standard cup 2 next time.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Mach 1 non-HP gets PS4s. HP gets Cup 2s in the sizes above. I wish that they had made the HP wheels with the PS4s from the GT500 available for either the Mach 1 HP or non-HP. That would have fixed the issue with both applications - HP for street or a little more track/grip capability on the non-HP. I saw a guy with a HP Mach 1 at a car show with this exact combo but he said the tires to replace the Cup 2s were really hard to get.
Sponsored