N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't see anything on beefcake site about not selling longtubes anymore.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Corporations are a creature of the State - they require permission to exist let alone operate. The only entity that has cause and self-interest to oppose gov't are the end-users. It's up to the voters to overthrow/spank/rein-in Sacramento. They haven't. Indeed if it was put up for one of California's famous referendums I very much doubt the 'mah-offroad pipes' crowd could muster enough votes to get it put on the docket.

So naturally the purveyors of "illegal" products can no longer justify selling into CA or spending the R&D for product development if the market for 49 states isn't enough to be worthwhile. Be honest, the only reason to buy obnoxious loud pipes is if you're a social degenerate. The HP gains are laughable and pointless in traffic. If you have a legit race car in a sanctioned organization and want to procure track exhaust you absolutely still can.

It's retail that caters to the general public that can no longer run the risk of getting a demand letter from the State. It's no different than gun/magazine retailers have to deal with in regards to California stupidity.
There sure are a lot of social degenerates out there, lmao. Some people take the freedom excuse a little too far to ensure they can do the most annoying and obnoxious shit, especially stuff that annoys others.

Imo the amount of crying about stuff that's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things amuses me. We have 10-15 years of ICE cars left before they become relegated to being toys. At that point, just like with light aircraft and other rich person hobbies, the regulations will slowly be completely removed. If in the mean time we have to deal with making 15 less horsepower when you can already make 700 wheel without even spending that much, so be it. I think life will go on. Sometimes arguing the principle isn't worth the time, especially when it's always been illegal and we've just been getting away with it. It's not like anything new has really happened...the law is just actually being enforced.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
For those who blame California or current administration you need to put your (very biased) opinion aside. This started back in February 2019 and is federal policy so the drums have been beating for 2 years now:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...liance-initiatives-for-fiscal-years-2020-2023

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/nat...termarket-defeat-devices-vehicles-and-engines

For those that complain about regulations obviously don't remember or are too young to realize that the vehicles we have now would never have existed without them. The need to produce more fuel efficient and (far) less polluting vehicles brought about EFI, variable valve timing, transmissions with more than 4 gears for example. There was no incentive for manufacturers to investing in those strategies but were forced to do something just like regulations to make cars safer brought about airbags, reinforced beams in doors, crumple zones, etc.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
especially when it's always been illegal and we've just been getting away with it. It's not like anything new has really happened...the law is just actually being enforced.
ice445, you’re 100% on point
“Enforcement” & “Illegal” sums it all up.

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
For those who blame California or current administration you need to put your (very biased) opinion aside. This started back in February 2019 and is federal policy so the drums have been beating for 2 years now:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...liance-initiatives-for-fiscal-years-2020-2023

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/nat...termarket-defeat-devices-vehicles-and-engines

For those that complain about regulations obviously don't remember or are too young to realize that the vehicles we have now would never have existed without them. The need to produce more fuel efficient and (far) less polluting vehicles brought about EFI, variable valve timing, transmissions with more than 4 gears for example. There was no incentive for manufacturers to investing in those strategies but were forced to do something just like regulations to make cars safer brought about airbags, reinforced beams in doors, crumple zones, etc.
Yes, the emissions stuff has been illegal and on the books for years. It is however politically tied to the enforcement angle however. When you have a conservative administration that appoints heads of certain agencies the trickle down effect happens. You get an agent that wishes to pursue illegal activity, it has to be signed off up the chain. That is where it becomes political. With a more liberal, and progressive administration they are willing to fund more and more of these kinds of enforcement actions. It goes well beyond just EPA stuff as well. I work in the pharmaceutical manufacturing field. We are under FDA regulation. Under the last administration inspections/audits were much less compared to the prior (Obama) admin. They are ramping up again under the current admin.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, the emissions stuff has been illegal and on the books for years. It is however politically tied to the enforcement angle however. When you have a conservative administration that appoints heads of certain agencies the trickle down effect happens. You get an agent that wishes to pursue illegal activity, it has to be signed off up the chain. That is where it becomes political. With a more liberal, and progressive administration they are willing to fund more and more of these kinds of enforcement actions. It goes well beyond just EPA stuff as well. I work in the pharmaceutical manufacturing field. We are under FDA regulation. Under the last administration inspections/audits were much less compared to the prior (Obama) admin. They are ramping up again under the current admin.
Okay, but this logic falls apart when you realize the enforcement started under Trump. It's just that they started with the diesel trucks.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, but this logic falls apart when you realize the enforcement started under Trump. It's just that they started with the diesel trucks.
Cobb and Evans tuning investigations began under the Obama admin actually.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What happen too no politics ? Man you guys can't behave yourselves. That's why they're cracking down haha.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I was thinking about the original topic of this thread and decided to see if anyone else is doing this also. I checked Stainless Works and they no longer list off road pipes or catless headers on their website. I know they used to sell them, but they are gone now.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The crackdown against SCT and Harley Davidson happened under the Obama administration.

Mentioning who was President when an enforcement action occurred is not in itself political.

Trump rolled back many regulations that are now being reintroduced.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The crackdown against SCT and Harley Davidson happened under the Obama administration.

Mentioning who was President when an enforcement action occurred is not in itself political.

Trump rolled back many regulations that are now being reintroduced.
Booooo

none of my motorcycles have cats. I will be irate if e check came back at all for cars and bikes or any inspections at sll

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
HD was selling tunes and engine parts and installing such at their dealers, that were not EPA legal. If you think SCT/BUlly dog got hit hard.......

Anyway all motorcycles have cats as far as I know. I think after 2010 or some such date.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
HD was selling tunes and engine parts and installing such at their dealers, that were not EPA legal. If you think SCT/BUlly dog got hit hard.......

Anyway all motorcycles have cats as far as I know. I think after 2010 or some such date.
Day one on all my sport bikes and harleys I’ve always ripped out the cats and flashed them.

tuners better stick around, I can decat them myself

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I don't follow that stuff but last time I did, it was illegal to even relocate cats. If still true, any headers would be no-nos. Also some things were illegal for 3rd parties to do but not for the owner, i.e. the result wasn't illegal, the process to get there might be.

It is illegal..in fact a lot of communities (Irvine and others) have units thats all they do is street racing and finding cars that are illegal. I myself got pulled over in my E92 M3 in El Segundo. It had test pipes but still had the rear 200cpi metallic rear cats from the factory xpipe. He didn't realize that those were the secondaries not the primaries. He gave me some crap about the CAI but it had a CARB EO number from AFE.
Sponsored