Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Well, there are high end cars still street legal with cats so to say it can't be done is false. It's just going to increase the price a bit. Maybe have to get ultra creative with cats that can withstand high heat, not burn up, and still filter out the necessary carbons to pass.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Not if the industry gets on board with compliance.
Nobody wants to do it, but it has to be done.
People need to get used to keeping their cats in place.
why though? Ohio ie. doesn't have any EPA car emissions what so ever, maybe one county up north that no one cares about. it should be this way everywhere.

Theres nothing wrong with our air, we aren't dying, choking on fumes or anything.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
why though? Ohio ie. doesn't have any EPA car emissions what so ever, maybe one county up north that no one cares about. it should be this way everywhere.

Theres nothing wrong with our air, we aren't dying, choking on fumes or anything.
this is well beyond Ohio or any state, this is federal with the EPA.
It is, and has always been, completely illegal to remove functional catalytic converter’s from a car with less than 50,000 miles. There is no way around it.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

Are you serious?????
Vehicles sold in Ohio, like in any other states, have, as a minimum. To conform to EPA standards since it’s a Federal regulation
As for the comment on the air, hopefully it was a tongue-in-cheek joke because otherwise it would show a complete lack of knowledge about air pollution
Air in Los Angeles is not the same that in the middle of nowhere in Ohio

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
It is, and has always been, completely illegal to remove functional catalytic converter’s from a car with less than 50,000 miles. There is no way around it.
Never heard of any mileage limit. Please post up your source.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Actually there are 7 counties that require testing, all around the Cleveland metro area. But since they now have self serve kiosks, all you need to do is not have any codes and you pass. No more visual inspection to make sure you actually have cats. You only have to have it tested every two years and its exempt for the first two years. I was allowed to skip the first test in 19, but I had to get it tested this year as the car is 4 years old now. And once the vehicle reaches 25 years old it's exempt from further testing.

Last edited:

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I'm in RI and they won't even let you tint your car..........exactly why I'm 3 yrs over my inspection lol

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Never heard of any mileage limit. Please post up your source.
After 15 years in the industry, this law has been burned into my head. It was tough to find a cited example, but look at number three in this link.

https://www.catalyticconverter.org/law/

Just to clarify, what I am saying is it is illegal to remove a converter that is functioning on a vehicle with less than 50,000 miles even if you want to replace it with a new one.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Ohio area, has not had any EPA anything since ive owned vehicles, not sure what year they died, but there is absolutely zero testing done, zero inspections, and zero tickets. there's bros running around with damn open headers and test pipes to and from the tracks on open roads just driving around. Lol

google says in 2000 all the EPA stuff was removed, I was 10 years old. so ive never dealt with emissions before.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Ohio area, has not had any EPA anything since ive owned vehicles, not sure what year they died, but there is absolutely zero testing done, zero inspections, and zero tickets. there's bros running around with damn open headers and test pipes to and from the tracks on open roads just driving around. Lol

google says in 2000 all the EPA stuff was removed, I was 10 years old. so ive never dealt with emissions before.
Which part of vehicles sold in all states, including Ohio, has to conform to EPA standards, you don’t understand???????
Seriously.......

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
You guys have to remember, this law has been in effect for a long time. Its now that the Feds and state govertnments are starting to enforce it more vigilantly.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Which part of vehicles sold in all states, including Ohio, has to conform to EPA standards, you don’t understand???????
Seriously.......
I am saying, unless it comes brand new from dealer, those are the only ones who have to obey that, because they came from factory with cat. Theres zero checks, buying/selling cars, they don't look at any of that. they just look at vin numbers and thats it for titling purposes.

afterwards, they live a long healthy lives without cats on most cars here in the car scene with zero repercussions. air quality seems to be on par as the super stringent states. Ohio will never have a full on E check ever again. it just can't be made, its pretty much engrained to hate it and it was the happiest thing ever to happen in mid Ohio.

half the cars exhaust fell off a long time ago, to Bring back E check, would cause a massive outrage, won't do it, and to mention the cost.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1

You are missing the big picture here. Many states do not have testing, that does not mean the feds will not come in and enforce their laws. Shops are getting popped with huge fines left and right for selling and installing off-road or emissions defeating equipment on gas and diesel applications.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Same old story, if it wasn’t for Carb the pollution would be 10 times worst in California
Like it or not the facts are that internal combustion engine produce health damaging pollutants and you can get aftermarket performance parts that are Carb/EPA legal ...such as the PP2 tune on my car

Not to mention it turns out emissions have gotten so good in new cars that it isn't that much of a performance detriment. That is why Ford has the PowerKits and they are smog legal. I mean after all with emissions we still get a 5.0 Coyote motor making in Mach 1 form 480hp all smog legal. Power levels unheard of when cars didn't even have emissions.

As someone who has lived in Los Angeles since I got out of the Army in the late 80s. I can attest on how much cleaner the air is now then when I first moved here. I can actually see the Angeles mountain range now, when I first moved here you couldn't see them unless right after a rain storm.

I am not a tree hugging liberal in any stretch of the imagination. It just shows you on how technology really has improved. I mean we have 760hp GT500s with full emissions.
Sponsored

Last edited: