Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So since this popped up on the TVS/Whipple/Kenne Bell FB page, decide to ask here:

Has anyone had issues with the ARP Balancer Bolt? Backing out, snapping, not threaded, etc?

I was all set to install my OPG/TS today and then someone posted about the bolt backing out and then about 2-3 dozen other people posted up the same thing so now I'm waiting to see which balancer bolt I'm going to use in it's place. Anyone using a stock replacement or did you get a new TTY Ford bolt?

-Rob
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
So since this popped up on the TVS/Whipple/Kenne Bell FB page, decide to ask here:

Has anyone had issues with the ARP Balancer Bolt? Backing out, snapping, not threaded, etc?

I was all set to install my OPG/TS today and then someone posted about the bolt backing out and then about 2-3 dozen other people posted up the same thing so now I'm waiting to see which balancer bolt I'm going to use in it's place. Anyone using a stock replacement or did you get a new TTY Ford bolt?

-Rob
Wow, I only heard of that happening once on here, but not with an ARP bolt. When I installed my ATI damper with ARP bolt I called everyone, whipple, ATI and ARP. All recommended using only ARP moly lube to attain the 100 ftlbs recommend by ARP. I know many have used loctite because, but it's never been recommend by the manufacturer only installers and some shops. This is a long standing debate and with no real definite info on using loctite until now. I just research again a couple days ago and found that now ARP under there question and answer tech section says one may use loctite blue on the threads only in place of moly lube. I wonder if this in some way is related to the ARP bolts you say are cropping up on FB.:shrug:

Read question 3 in the link below.
http://arp-bolts.com/p/FAQ.php

Gremlinsteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
727 roush
Mine has boogered up threads. Could not use it or it would have torn the crank up

So I did not install it

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Mine has boogered up threads. Could not use it or it would have torn the crank up

So I did not install it
What had boogered up threads...the ARP BOLT.

OP
OP
Evo_Rob

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Wow, I only heard of that happening once on here, but not with an ARP bolt. When I installed my ATI damper with ARP bolt I called everyone, whipple, ATI and ARP. All recommended using only ARP moly lube to attain the 100 ftlbs recommend by ARP. I know many have used loctite because, but it's never been recommend by the manufacturer only installers and some shops. This is a long standing debate and with no real definite info on using loctite until now. I just research again a couple days ago and found that now ARP under there question and answer tech section says one may use loctite blue on the threads only in place of moly lube. I wonder if this in some way is related to the ARP bolts you say are cropping up on FB.:shrug:

Read question 3 in the link below.
http://arp-bolts.com/p/FAQ.php
I'd say it's related. here's the link to the page, the discussion was started by David Smith about 12 hours ago https://www.facebook.com/groups/577757689011805/

Edit* Kelly Aiken also said he's had numerous issues with the crank bolt, too. And promptly listed 3 for sale lol

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Well great, I have the ARP bolt. Had someone install it. I'll have to ask if he used lube - should have since he's done these numerous times (Ford Tech and does aftermarket stuff a lot). Mine looks fine thus far... not too many miles but... ya know.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I didn't use an ARP bolt, bought a grade 10.9 from Fastenal when installing my OPG and Procharger Stage 2. It came loose after 2 weeks, so I reinstalled it with blue locktite and it been good for several months now. Been thinking of buying an ARP bolt, but it hasn't been a huge priority.

OP
OP
Evo_Rob

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well great, I have the ARP bolt. Had someone install it. I'll have to ask if he used lube - should have since he's done these numerous times (Ford Tech and does aftermarket stuff a lot). Mine looks fine thus far... not too many miles but... ya know.
i'd check to see if yours has come lose at all. That's ultimately what started the topic is someone said his started walking loose after 3 days and was literally able to be tightened/loosened by hand

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Mine would not stay tight with ARP lube and 105ftlbs.

I ended up going up to 120ftlbs and that did the trick.

On the new engine, I went with a studded crank. No more bolts for me. Lol

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Why the need for an aftermarket balancer bolt?..is the factory bolt a one time use item?

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Why the need for an aftermarket balancer bolt?..is the factory bolt a one time use item?
Yes.

Interesting...I used the bolt that came with my MMR OPG/CG kit. Bought an ARP but the kit also came with it's own balancer bolt so I have the ARP in the box still.

I wonder if it's the bolt or the installer... :confused:

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yes.

Interesting...I used the bolt that came with my MMR OPG/CG kit. Bought an ARP but the kit also came with it's own balancer bolt so I have the ARP in the box still.

I wonder if it's the bolt or the installer... :confused:
Did you instal an MMR or ATI damper? MMR Includes the proper ARP damper bolt in there kit. However it sounds like it's possible you used the damper instal bolt which is only to draw on the damper for installing then it comes out and the ARP is installed and torqued. You better make sure as the instal bolt is to long and will bottom out in the crank and won't torque down and secure the damper.

Super Werty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT
I'll have to check mine... Did it a few hundred miles ago. If I remember correctly I torqued it more than 120

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Did you instal an MMR or ATI damper? MMR Includes the proper ARP damper bolt in there kit. However it sounds like it's possible you used the damper instal bolt which is only to draw on the damper for installing then it comes out and the ARP is installed and torqued. You better make sure as the instal bolt is to long and will bottom out in the crank and won't torque down and secure the damper.
The kit from MMR came with a crankshaft/balancer bolt. I'm using the stock damper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162202824916?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Sponsored