Sponsored

Argghhh...what went wrong with this paint/door repair?

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Just bought my wife a new Explorer Platinum, and the rear passenger side door needed a minor repair near the handle.

It looks like the whole door got done. Color match is good (saw it up close), but the clear/finish is definitely not as glossy as the oem finish.

First pic is oem driver's side.
Second pic is repaired psgr side.

What went wrong or wasn't/hasn't been done?

All insight is appreciated.

Thank you!

20210425_120538.jpg

Screenshot_20210425-185641_Gallery.jpg
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like orange peel in the clear.
Have them cut and buff it.

Of course it also looks like there is something on the rear door in the second picture - like it hasn't been cleaned up yet........

OP
OP
RonsterGT

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Looks like orange peel in the clear.
Have them cut and buff it.

Of course it also looks like there is something on the rear door in the second picture - like it hasn't been cleaned up yet........
Thanks, it had just rained, so a little rain/dust film most likely.
This pic was at dealer - haven't taken posession yet.

The orange peel does closely match the oem orange peel though lol.

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
Yeah the paint looks ok, just needs to be cut and buff with a compound. I’d think any reputable detail/paint shop can fix it easily. Surprised the repair shop didn't do that.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the paint looks ok, just needs to be cut and buff with a compound. I’d think any reputable detail/paint shop can fix it easily. Surprised the repair shop didn't do that.
A good friend of mine ran several different dealer paint / body shop over the years before retiring and just painting on his own (he missed actually painting vehicles instead of dealing with crap everyday).........he said that many times the hardest part of a blend / repair was NOT making it look BETTER than it did out of the factory.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A good friend of mine ran several different dealer paint / body shop over the years before retiring and just painting on his own (he missed actually painting vehicles instead of dealing with crap everyday).........he said that many times the hardest part of a blend / repair was NOT making it look BETTER than it did out of the factory.
Truth.

OP
OP
RonsterGT

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty good with wetsanding, compounding etc...on my mistakes/scratches but this is a brand spankin' new vehicle so I'm going to take a step back.
Thanks for your reply.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I think the problem you are going to have there is that the factory OP is quite pronounced - so by the time the freshly painted area has been polished up, it's going to be way smoother than the OE finish.

Reducing / blending the OP on the OE finish to match is all well and good, but it's also reducing the amount of clear that you have on there (which most likely wont be a huge amount anyway) ....

I wouldn't really know what to suggest and its all going to come down to how good you want it to look and what your long term plans are for the car. What my non petrol head misses would be happy with on a daily driver that she doesn't really care about is completely different to what a petrol head would want on a garage queen ... :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored