Sponsored

Are you kidding me??? Cooling Post

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I

. William took the car and ran 2 second faster than his 350R...so yes i stand in the statement ss 1le is a superior car for track usage. :)
William is a good driver. Yhe chevy products are better than ford on every metric. I just could not see out of it. I wish I would have bought it anyway.
Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
William is a good driver. Yhe chevy products are better than ford on every metric. I just could not see out of it. I wish I would have bought it anyway.
Agreed. The only camaromi would buynis the zl1 1le. Very aggressive.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of DCT, a friend of mine got a Z51 C8 and took me for a ride.....oh lord. I need one of those in my life.
Man don't tempt me. Although some friends went at streetsmof willow and they experienced tons of understeer

5.4dreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 gt500
This is a great thread for me to read. Sold my camaro couple of months ago and looking at a new car in dec/Jan time frame. I don't know which way im going for sure cause I really got use to the Chevy features but really want to try a gt350.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
This is a great thread for me to read. Sold my camaro couple of months ago and looking at a new car in dec/Jan time frame. I don't know which way im going for sure cause I really got use to the Chevy features but really want to try a gt350.
Well consider that the 350 will be substitute with the mach1 coming end of year.
So 350 platform will retire. Befpre than camaro.
So you could find better offers or just jump on mach1 train.
I lime the 350 but i think is a old platform.
And i would not spend that type of money for somenthing just ended.
Camaro without 1le is obectively ugly especially last models (no offense :) )
But the 1le package chamged the cards on the table ( is an old italian saying. Hope you guys get the meaning lol)
For similar money remember there is always the C8 option..

Sponsored

5.4dreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 gt500
Well consider that the 350 will be substitute with the mach1 coming end of year.
So 350 platform will retire. Befpre than camaro.
So you could find better offers or just jump on mach1 train.
I lime the 350 but i think is a old platform.
And i would not spend that type of money for somenthing just ended.
Camaro without 1le is obectively ugly especially last models (no offense :) )
But the 1le package chamged the cards on the table ( is an old italian saying. Hope you guys get the meaning lol)
For similar money remember there is always the C8 option..
You and I have talked before. I had the black zl1 1le. The ride was a bit harsh for me but it was excellent on the track. I knew what it was when I bought it but it was time for a change. I'll wait to see what the mach 1 looks like and the price. If the price is 2 high or single piston rears I'll just choose between the ss 1le or gt350. Im not going to be competitive cause I'm just learning and don't have the time.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Did GM add air conditioning back to the ZL1 or was that only the Z/28 from a few years ago that had it deleted? The ZL1 is a track weapon but rides like shit on the street. The Camaro in general performs better but its harder to live with, thats the trade off.

5.4dreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 gt500
Did GM add air conditioning back to the ZL1 or was that only the Z/28 from a few years ago that had it deleted? The ZL1 is a track weapon but rides like shit on the street. The Camaro in general performs better but its harder to live with, thats the trade off.
The regular zl1 is perfect for street and track but still a lot of power. They all have a/c.

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
Someone else wrote:
<<I've had so many other issues like a failed APIM and interior trim that was sagging around the instrument cluster that I just don't know about Ford anymore.

Anyways, there's my story.>>>

I'm not a ford guy. I bought a 2019 mustang gt pp1 to turn into my next racecar which I have done. Bought it right off the lot and gutted it welded cage. It is now an SCCA T2 clubracer and some T1. I have raced both classes in vette for 10+ years including Runoffs around country and Majors races around country and have about 30 tracks under my belt. I have been on track much longer than those 10 years and have a full garage shop, 4 welders, milling machines, tire changers, Scales, alignment tools, full service lift, fabrication tools and I weld my own cages.

I took my new gt with 300 miles on a baseline run on a not brake intense track, WSIR, and was totally disappointed on every metric except horsepower and A10 gearbox. I got slapped down by people here since I was complaining. Typical can't drive etc etc. Can't use brakes etc.

Well All I can say is yeah stick with miata. I wish I stuck with vette where I came from. In fact I built the mustang developed more than 90% of the people here and the new racecar build is for sale. I'll race it until it sells, gets crashed, or just falls apart. That's racing everything is disposable. You have to hate a car to race it and beat the living cr@p out of it and I hate this car. Win!

After all my build and development I still think the motor and A10 are good. Rest of car sucks. There is just nothing good about it. The suspension is the dumbest design I have ever seen in a performance car. Yes you can make it work. It isn't easy. There are too many flaws to list from binding suspension arms to kludge vertical links, to set ride heights with non adjustable springs. Yes there are work arounds and many are happy with a $1500 suspension kit. I'm over 10k in trying to make this car competitive. It is the most expensive cheap car I have ever built. Flyhalf on this board has tried a bunch of iterations of cooling mods. I say don't screw with it. It is so much easier to accept the lameness that is Ford and just re-engineer it. Just go for it and put the right coolers in so you don't have to screw with it again. Go big so you don't find renewed problems. I got zero development time in coolers because I just beat the problem with sledgehammer. There are a couple of us here not going to mish stuff because it is expensive and not comprehensive or did not appear so on website. It was easy to attack oil with 67000btu derale cooler and a setraub oil filter plate and same 67000btu cooler for A10 and stock radiator. I repurposed the stock trans cooler for the diff. This is super easy because derale makes a support rack that is perfect size for mustang and bolts right to our radiator support. The oil and trans cooler bolt to the rail and Simple AN. Lines and you are done. Setraub makes the high quality low price filter plate that is like a tstat non-electric controlled unit so you don't have to think about it. It is a flawless setup. Add in some race louvers if you want and cooling problems solved. It all isn't cheap but to make a Mustang work you got to spend the money. That's why the car is cheap in the 1st place because Ford spend zero on this car. There isn't even a fuel port on the injector rails for diagnostics or fuel testing for a race class or if you want to tap off the rail for a safe nitrous shot. If you are a DIY guy with experience over many cars you will learn real quick the suckage continues with the over Ford build. You got really dumb stuff like the mess you make trying to change the oil, or the M6 bolts with different sized heads, or the 10.9 bolts in a low strength flange nut. I mean every time I work on this car the words, "Are you kidding me?" come out of my mouth.
20200227_172314.jpg
20200411_164113.jpg
I really wish this thread had been around before I bought my 2018 PP2, would have stopped me dead in my tracks.

I guess the fact that my Coyote gnawed itself to bits early on was really a blessing in disguise.

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Maybe I’m an optimist, but I believe there is a mostly off the shelf solution for keeping the PP1/PP2 cool. It’s a longer list than I thought but I’m still sitting $5k under my $47k sticker price even after everything I’m throwing at it.

You gotta spend quite a bit more to get into the big dogs

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Lap times yes, but also overall track performance. The PP2 (and PP1) is a fast car, no doubt, but it doesn't have any coolers so after just a few laps, you'll be overheating something. This is why the SS 1LE is better because out of the box you get all the necessary coolers and venting. All the 1LE Camaros and the 350s are track-ready cars. The GT cars CAN go to the track but they are definitely not track-ready.

That being said, I do agree that a PP1 with about $7k in mods is just as fast and capable as the 350s and the 1LEs
Overall track performance even if you don't care at all about the street the GT350s still go higher on the list.

Completely agree Alessandro.

I was just talking about the Mach 1 on TMO. I noticed that bumper too. If it comes with all the coolers like the 350 cars and is priced around $50k, I might have to trade in mine.
My only hesitation on the 2018 and newer Fords is they now have direct injection. I'm not sure whether the addition of port injection is a real panacea, especially for heavy duty track use. Direct injection is a big reason why I would stay away from a Chevy product for track use (that and the way the LS engines make power is lame compared to the Fords).

Agree and that's what the reviewers say. I wanted to push the easy button and buy a Camaro 1SS 1LE this time around, but at least around here the prices are higher than what I want to pay for what I'm getting.

Maybe I’m an optimist, but I believe there is a mostly off the shelf solution for keeping the PP1/PP2 cool. It’s a longer list than I thought but I’m still sitting $5k under my $47k sticker price even after everything I’m throwing at it.

You gotta spend quite a bit more to get into the big dogs
You can get into a used GT350 for that kind of money. IMO it's a big step up from a modded GT. I personally am a little afraid to own a Voodoo out of warranty right now, however. Maybe the issues are overblown. Mine was perfect for 30+ thousand miles, but I know a guy local to me that lost 2 different engines.

5.4dreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 gt500
The voodoo is what stopped me from getting a gt350 my first go around. If the mach 1 is close to the 350 but with a coyote I think im in. I want to keep my next car and voodoo out of warranty is kind of scary.

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Overall track performance even if you don't care at all about the street the GT350s still go higher on the list.

My only hesitation on the 2018 and newer Fords is they now have direct injection. I'm not sure whether the addition of port injection is a real panacea, especially for heavy duty track use. Direct injection is a big reason why I would stay away from a Chevy product for track use (that and the way the LS engines make power is lame compared to the Fords).

Agree and that's what the reviewers say. I wanted to push the easy button and buy a Camaro 1SS 1LE this time around, but at least around here the prices are higher than what I want to pay for what I'm getting.

You can get into a used GT350 for that kind of money. IMO it's a big step up from a modded GT. I personally am a little afraid to own a Voodoo out of warranty right now, however. Maybe the issues are overblown. Mine was perfect for 30+ thousand miles, but I know a guy local to me that lost 2 different engines.
The out of warranty risk of a GT350 is what discouraged me. I think the 5.0 is the optimal daily/track beater IF I can get it to stay cool. And there's plenty of used 5.0's around from folks crashing them leaving car shows.

5.4dreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 gt500
The out of warranty risk of a GT350 is what discouraged me. I think the 5.0 is the optimal daily/track beater IF I can get it to stay cool. And there's plenty of used 5.0's around from folks crashing them leaving car shows.
Agreed 100%

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange

I personally am a little afraid to own a Voodoo out of warranty right now,s.
What is wrong with DI? What is wrong with LS power generation? I have lived with both for many many years and never had problems with either. Only DI issue is more intake valve fouling solved with removing intake manifold and walnut shell each hole for about 5 seconds. That's it 5 seconds and hole. LS motors been racing them for 10+ years. They are great with easy sensible construction and easy reliable crate motors cheaper than crate coyotes.

The voodoo problem is the oil pump gears right? Isn't that an easy aftermarket solution? Wasn't the real problem that Ford has no solution and aftermarket gears void the warrantee? So if out of warrantee then change the gears and problem solved?
Sponsored