Are you kidding me??? Cooling Post

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey Shogun32, After talking with Al at Racelouver, he stated that 2 inches back from radiator would be premium and not to go less than that. It was just a reference, 17 inches is what mine came out to while being 2 inches back from the radiator.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Thanks for all the detail and suggestions. I also snagged one of the trans air scoops figuring maybe it’ll help avoid having to setup a pump, lines, and Cooler on trans as well

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Feeling good about progress here. Installed racelouvers and switched to 1 gal coolant and water wetter.

PittRace full course Mid 70s-80F

I was able to make it ~15min giving her 9.5/10 but short shifting at 6k before oil gets to warm (I know it’s calculated) Coolant temp max was was fairly stable 220-230 saw 234 max.

still optimistic rad ducting, mishi rad and oil cooler should have it pretty well solved... until I start monitoring trans temps!

hope to have all installed and test again at Watkins Glen July 1,2
AE60902C-4B03-4DDD-9CD5-2DE5DA877CF5.jpeg

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Any reason you didn't place the center vent directly behind the radiator? It is more effective there.
Followed specific direction for placement from Racelouvers on optimal location on the '18+. It looks farther back, but the leading edge is only a couple inches behind the radiator fan duct outlet.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but the leading edge is only a couple inches behind the radiator fan duct outlet.
2" behind radiator (leading or trailing edge?) != 2" behind radiator fan shroud trailing edge. I'm curious as to which was intended by the company. I suspect RL meant 2" behind radiator leading edge.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
2" behind radiator (leading or trailing edge?) != 2" behind radiator fan shroud trailing edge. I'm curious as to which was intended by the company. I suspect RL meant 2" behind radiator leading edge.
Nope, rear edge of center vent aligned with rear edge of side vents. Side vents placed butted up against OEM vents

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I'm heading to Road America in 2 weeks with my PP2. I've done little in the way of additional cooling, but I'm not a huge HPDE guy. I'm much more comfortable in time trials where I don't have to worry about the ability of other drivers around me and its far less taxing on the cooling capability of the car itself.

I will come back with an update on how things went and if the car goes into limp mode. I can tell you this. A friend brought over his 19 PP1 A10 last year and it went into limp mode by the 2nd session of the day and never recovered.

Which brings me to my next point ... the 2021 Mach I ... the Mach I is what the PP2 should have started as 2 years ago but I'm sure Ford didn't want to step on any GT350 owners toes in the process, plus lose those sales.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, rear edge of center vent aligned with rear edge of side vents. Side vents placed butted up against OEM vents
yes I can see that is what you did. There are plenty of pics of RL-equipped cars that have the center vent a healthy 8 inches further forward though.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
he Mach I is what the PP2 should have started as 2 years ago
absolutely!
but I'm sure Ford didn't want to step on any GT350 owners toes in the process, plus lose those sales.
that's a drug-addled marketing idiot's fevered delusion. Nobody looking at a 65k Voodoo would stoop to choosing a tarted up 5.0 even if it was 10 grand less. What it would have done though is crush Bullitt sales which for the "oooh Bullitt, movie throwback" kind of buyer would have meant far few units sold and thus 'rarified'.

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
yes I can see that is what you did. There are plenty of pics of RL-equipped cars that have the center vent a healthy 8 inches further forward though.
They spent at least 20 minutes on the phone with me, discussed my max cooling over down force goals. Also provided provided specific guidance on oil cooler placement and radiator ducting. They seemed to truly understand the pitfalls in the S550 cooling system on track. They stated (and if you go to the website under supplemental instructions) this is the optimal location on the 18+ cars.

You can place this vent just about anywhere, but I trust the specific guidance I received from Racelouvers and installed as directed.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I'm heading to Road America in 2 weeks with my PP2. I've done little in the way of additional cooling, but I'm not a huge HPDE guy. I'm much more comfortable in time trials where I don't have to worry about the ability of other drivers around me and its far less taxing on the cooling capability of the car itself.

I will come back with an update on how things went and if the car goes into limp mode. I can tell you this. A friend brought over his 19 PP1 A10 last year and it went into limp mode by the 2nd session of the day and never recovered.

Which brings me to my next point ... the 2021 Mach I ... the Mach I is what the PP2 should have started as 2 years ago but I'm sure Ford didn't want to step on any GT350 owners toes in the process, plus lose those sales.
100% on the Mach 1. I'm trying to take comfort that even after my modifications I'm still well under MSRP on the PP2 and long ways from the speculative price of a Mach 1.

I've found the PP2 will take ~80% of its capability in stock form for a full session. Limp modes keep you from damaging it. It then comes down to whether you enjoy using 80% of the car's capability or want all of it!

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
absolutely! that's a drug-addled marketing idiot's fevered delusion. Nobody looking at a 65k Voodoo would stoop to choosing a tarted up 5.0 even if it was 10 grand less. What it would have done though is crush Bullitt sales which for the "oooh Bullitt, movie throwback" kind of buyer would have meant far few units sold and thus 'rarified'.
I personally don't think the Bullitt was a sales success at all this time around. Those who had to have one did in the 1st 3 months and the rest sat on the dealers lots. It was a cool idea .. the first time.

Ford seems to be their own worst enemy at times. Can anyone imagine Ford coming up with a NEW model that doesn't ride the coat tails of something named 50 years ago?
100% on the Mach 1. I'm trying to take comfort that even after my modifications I'm still well under MSRP on the PP2 and long ways from the speculative price of a Mach 1.

I've found the PP2 will take ~80% of its capability in stock form for a full session. Limp modes keep you from damaging it. It then comes down to whether you enjoy using 80% of the car's capability or want all of it!
I don't do well with 80% of anything fun. That's like telling the wife, I'll give you 80% tonight because I didn't have my Wheaties this morning... That s*it don't fly.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
The Racelouvers instructions do tell you to place the rear of the center vent with the rear of the side vents. But later on in the instructions, it says for MAX effectiveness, to place the front of the center vent 2 in behind radiator. In the picture shown, the center vent does appear to be too far back for the max effectiveness condition.
Below is mine and is exactly 2 inch behind the radiator
upload_2020-6-18_7-49-1.png

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey NeverSatisfied, that came out slick. Looks awesome especially on silver. In the same boat as many here trying to get more out of my PP2 than Ford intended. Love my car but can’t put up with having to cut sessions in half due to overheating issues. First set of mods are complete while planning for the next mods. I need to be more selective/sure of the next round of upgrades before it gets expensive without yielding any decent benefits. Really anxious to know your results with the radiator and oil cooler setup.
Sponsored