• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Are you gonna trade your current mustang in when the s650 comes out?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1 and MagneRide
I tend to keep my cars for a long time from a financial standpoint, so depending on my life situation at that time (say, 2027-ish), I may end up in a C9 Corvette as my next car purchase (assuming the next gen Corvette comes out around then - hopefully it looks better than the C8). If I end up needing to buy a car before then, I'll probably still need back seats, so the next gen Mustang would be a strong contender assuming it is a Gen 4/5 Coyote V8 or upgraded production V8 beyond the Coyote and looks as good as my '18+ GT w/ PP1.

I'm not enamored with electric vehicles, so at this time I expect to still prefer ICE V8s for thrust in 2027 (and most likely in 2047 as well).
Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
The lane keep assist is NOT designed to drive on a highway for you. It's to keep the car from veering off the road or into oncoming traffic if you doze off at the steering wheel. Sheesh, some people...
I get that but what’s the point of a system that just throws you between two lines when clearly the hardware is there to support a system that can keep you centered in your lane with just a software change.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
The lane keep assist is NOT designed to drive on a highway for you. It's to keep the car from veering off the road or into oncoming traffic if you doze off at the steering wheel. Sheesh, some people...
Yes I know. That is why I put "Auto Pilot " IN quotes because I was quoting someone else. And I emphasized I was NOT after a self driving car. How did you say" Sheesh , some people LOL

I Know it is for dosing off and all that and is NOT an auto pilot. But even as an assistant for helping it sucks. 90% of the time it doesn't do anything and just keeps going over the line like it want even on.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I get that but what’s the point of a system that just throws you between two lines when clearly the hardware is there to support a system that can keep you centered in your lane with just a software change.
Yes this exactly, it sucks. it bobs back and forth does absolutely nothing to keep you centered like oh I dont know every other car makers assistants.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
I just bought a used 19 GT so I doubt I'll be changing cars until about 2025. An S650 is a possibility but it would very much depend on how much improved it is over the S550 and how it's priced. I hope the price and weight of the car don't get too jacked up by "technology" that doesn't improve performance.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1 and MagneRide
I just bought a used 19 GT so I doubt I'll be changing cars until about 2025. An S650 is a possibility but it would very much depend on how much improved it is over the S550 and how it's priced. I hope the price and weight of the car don't get too jacked up by "technology" that doesn't improve performance.
You bring up a good point. Every generation of Mustang gets bigger and heavier. Hopefully the S650 reverses that trend (at least the weight aspect of it), or at least maintains status quo and doesn't gain any weight.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Sorry to go slightly off topic but I really hate it when people talk about cars that do some aspect of driving for you.

The Mustang is a DRIVER'S CAR. You are meant to drive it!! It has so much power and performance that if you are acting stupid it will kill you and/or your loved ones or someone else's.

You need to use those gray things between your ears when you get behind the wheel. The law requires you to not drink, eat, do drugs, drive drowsy, cell phone stuff, etc. when driving.

What does it matter if the car can keep you in a lane? You should be doing that yourself. If you cannot drive then take a taxi, bus, train or call UBER/someone. Take a defensive driving class and actually pay attention!!!

If you are smart, the car doesn't need to be. What is it that you are doing that you cannot keep your car in your own lane?

To me, they should take out the lane keep assist and require people to LEARN TO DRIVE again. The more opportunity we give people to do stupid things, the more they will do that and more. These nannies are there ONLY to increase the market to those who should really need to stop driving in the first place. People need to stop seeing the time they are driving as time they could be doing other things. They need to go back to enjoying the drive. If that means replacing politicians so we get focus on better roads, then let's do it.

I think we need to find ways for drivers to once again enjoy driving like we use to. That is the reason we have so much distracted driving. Driving is seen by many as lost time, aggravation or just a big negative.

As for buying a new car, I have a wonderful '19 GT PP2 in Ruby Red Metallic (As for the comment about making a better color than Crimson, they did !! Ruby Red Metallic LOL). It is everything I ever wanted in a car and love the performance. Already have a second set of wheels/tires for the winter. It has all they toys but I have yet to even turn on the cruise control and only have turned on the lane keep stuff on accident. Hated it being on the digital dash and immediately looked for how to turn it off. I drive a manual and drive a car because it is enjoyable to drive.

I usually keep a car for about 10 years but I think I will keep this one longer. It is a PP2 which is somewhat rare. I like that it is not a Mach 1 or Bullitt because those that marvel at it and comment about it is a PP2 tell me they are Mustang/car guys and that really makes me want to chat with them even more. Do not get me wrong. I love talking cars with anyone but I find it even more special when they recognize the PP2 especially since the only 'badges' it has that tell you it is one is the wide wheels and the black low profile spoiler. The car helps me to make friends with new people and I always meet great people who like cars and enjoy driving. This car is already too powerful and can handle better than I can use. Not sure there is anything a new car could offer me that I would want. The promise of more reliability would be interesting but that is not a guarantee. Yes, I have a Getrag MT-82D4 manual but it has been great for the first year so far. Also, there are guys who can rebuild it far better than when new if I need that option. It already puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I feel it is a privilege every time I get in to drive it and make it a point to enjoy every drive. At no time do I want some computer taking that pleasure from me.

Would a lighter and smaller S650 interest me? Yes. Do I need more power? Maybe if I truly learned how to use the power I had and I can see a need for more then maybe. I have enough to get on and off the highway with authority and brakes that stop me in very short order. This car is like an apex predator. There aren't many better.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt K3107 Whipple 2018 Mustang GT Premium A10 Ruby Red
I've had 4 coyote Mustangs so far. But, I've also had several turbo charged Fords. With a tune they are incredible. I would love to see the 3.0 twin turbo in the Mustang. I know what these things do with an aftermarket tune. Almost instant torque. My fat SHO did 12.99 with a tune only several years ago. 4400 pounds. And, my understanding is that the new 3.0 or 2.7 makes more power in some cases than the 3.5 did.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The S650 might spell the end of the manual tranny. Lots of guys driving a manual before the 10 speed were converting over. It's a heck of a good tranny. Quick and keeps torque. This statement is coming from a guy who currently rows the 'ole MT-82.

If I didn't know what an S650 or S550 was codenamed for, I would think it was a SuperDuty truck line. They really crapped the bed on the codenames for these.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I doubt I will get it but who knows or perhaps after it has been out a while. As for performance this GT is just stupid fast already and I never am able to use all of it without quickly approaching the sound barrier. So anything faster would only be for bragging rights not actual enjoyment for me. I've only had the car a year so I'm not planning anything for a good while yet.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The S650 might spell the end of the manual tranny. Lots of guys driving a manual before the 10 speed were converting over. It's a heck of a good tranny. Quick and keeps torque. This statement is coming from a guy who currently rows the 'ole MT-82.

If I didn't know what an S650 or S550 was codenamed for, I would think it was a SuperDuty truck line. They really crapped the bed on the codenames for these.
For many, driving a manual was the way to get the highest performance but that is not true of all manual drivers.

For me, it is not about speed and performance. Driving a manual is driving. Being in an automatic is like being a passenger who occasionally turns a wheel.

Do we have to take the human being out of everything?

In the end, when there are no more manuals and soon after no automatics, what have we gained?

Oh, we can go faster and turn better but we are not doing any of the driving and there is no place in which to use any of that performance on the street.

If you like to compete, who cares that someone's computer beat your computer. What, are we soon going to only allow remote controlled cars on the track/ drag strip?

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
For many, driving a manual was the way to get the highest performance but that is not true of all manual drivers.

For me, it is not about speed and performance. Driving a manual is driving. Being in an automatic is like being a passenger who occasionally turns a wheel.

Do we have to take the human being out of everything?

In the end, when there are no more manuals and soon after no automatics, what have we gained?

Oh, we can go faster and turn better but we are not doing any of the driving and there is no place in which to use any of that performance on the street.

If you like to compete, who cares that someone's computer beat your computer. What, are we soon going to only allow remote controlled cars on the track/ drag strip?
You dont do anything at all on a roller coaster and those are fun as hell. Just saying. My car is an Auto and has all the things you list you hate but It is one of the most fun cars I have ever had. And yes this is coming for someone who drove manuals for 30 years and is now owning his first auto since being a teen.

There are other forums threads to argue this opinion of manuals are best and people need to learn to drive mentality that only manual drivers seem to have. There is a reason they are only 1.5 percent of sales any more and its not because manuals are superior driving experiences. It is an individuals opinion and just because it is your opinion dose not make you correct :)

Driving a manual is not a magic trick nor does it make anyone a superior human and super intelligent or any better of a driver. It is simply a task one has learned like any other task.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Sorry to go slightly off topic but I really hate it when people talk about cars that do some aspect of driving for you.

The Mustang is a DRIVER'S CAR. You are meant to drive it!! It has so much power and performance that if you are acting stupid it will kill you and/or your loved ones or someone else's.

You need to use those gray things between your ears when you get behind the wheel. The law requires you to not drink, eat, do drugs, drive drowsy, cell phone stuff, etc. when driving.

What does it matter if the car can keep you in a lane? You should be doing that yourself. If you cannot drive then take a taxi, bus, train or call UBER/someone. Take a defensive driving class and actually pay attention!!!

If you are smart, the car doesn't need to be. What is it that you are doing that you cannot keep your car in your own lane?

To me, they should take out the lane keep assist and require people to LEARN TO DRIVE again. The more opportunity we give people to do stupid things, the more they will do that and more. These nannies are there ONLY to increase the market to those who should really need to stop driving in the first place. People need to stop seeing the time they are driving as time they could be doing other things. They need to go back to enjoying the drive. If that means replacing politicians so we get focus on better roads, then let's do it.

I think we need to find ways for drivers to once again enjoy driving like we use to. That is the reason we have so much distracted driving. Driving is seen by many as lost time, aggravation or just a big negative.

As for buying a new car, I have a wonderful '19 GT PP2 in Ruby Red Metallic (As for the comment about making a better color than Crimson, they did !! Ruby Red Metallic LOL). It is everything I ever wanted in a car and love the performance. Already have a second set of wheels/tires for the winter. It has all they toys but I have yet to even turn on the cruise control and only have turned on the lane keep stuff on accident. Hated it being on the digital dash and immediately looked for how to turn it off. I drive a manual and drive a car because it is enjoyable to drive.

I usually keep a car for about 10 years but I think I will keep this one longer. It is a PP2 which is somewhat rare. I like that it is not a Mach 1 or Bullitt because those that marvel at it and comment about it is a PP2 tell me they are Mustang/car guys and that really makes me want to chat with them even more. Do not get me wrong. I love talking cars with anyone but I find it even more special when they recognize the PP2 especially since the only 'badges' it has that tell you it is one is the wide wheels and the black low profile spoiler. The car helps me to make friends with new people and I always meet great people who like cars and enjoy driving. This car is already too powerful and can handle better than I can use. Not sure there is anything a new car could offer me that I would want. The promise of more reliability would be interesting but that is not a guarantee. Yes, I have a Getrag MT-82D4 manual but it has been great for the first year so far. Also, there are guys who can rebuild it far better than when new if I need that option. It already puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I feel it is a privilege every time I get in to drive it and make it a point to enjoy every drive. At no time do I want some computer taking that pleasure from me.

Would a lighter and smaller S650 interest me? Yes. Do I need more power? Maybe if I truly learned how to use the power I had and I can see a need for more then maybe. I have enough to get on and off the highway with authority and brakes that stop me in very short order. This car is like an apex predator. There aren't many better.
There’s two sides to every argument. To me the car should have more tech to help drivers and the mustang isn’t really what some call a drivers car where you’re supposed to be aware every minute or the car will kill you because of the immense horsepower, no rather it’s a GT it is in the name.l after all. From Wikipedia it says “A grand tourer (GT) is a type of sports car that is designed for high speed and long-distance driving, due to a combination of performance and luxury attributes.” What I’m focusing on is the element of long-distance driving. Your car a pp2 for example tends to follow imperfections in the road because of the wide tires and you have to focus on keeping yourself in the lane more than a regular gt night have to therefore on a longer trip you would feel more exhausted. What if on the other hand a system was developed where the car could adjust and keep itself in the lane with minimal driver input and require only the driver to be aware and keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road monitored via sensors. We’re not talking making a car to drive you around but rather enhancing the car to make the drive more enjoyable and comfortable on long distance driving. In the city you can turn off the systems and still have the car drive like normal. Obviously I agree we still have to use common sense behind the wheel and I wouldn’t trust the car to drive itself but if some tech can help save lives as a lot of tech that’s in modern cars has been doing then it’s a helpful feature. I mean these “drivers cars” that we own already have abs, traction control, stability control, etc. which only add weight and hurt performance yet they keep people safe and I don’t see very many of us ripping them out. Remember that what’s great about these cars is that anyone who wants one and works hard for one can buy one and if it takes nannies to help people feel safe and comfortable buying a mustang then go ahead and let them have it, it only grows the community.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
You dont do anything at all on a roller coaster and those are fun as hell. Just saying. My car is an Auto and has all the things you list you hate but It is one of the most fun cars I have ever had. And yes this is coming for someone who drove manuals for 30 years and is now owning his first auto since being a teen.

There are other forums threads to argue this opinion of manuals are best and people need to learn to drive mentality that only manual drivers seem to have. There is a reason they are only 1.5 percent of sales any more and its not because manuals are superior driving experiences. It is an individuals opinion and just because it is your opinion dose not make you correct :)

Driving a manual is not a magic trick nor does it make anyone a superior human and super intelligent or any better of a driver. It is simply a task one has learned like any other task.
I agree we don't want a manual vs. auto debate, but I also agree self driving nannies and such belong in Prius forums. If offered in Mustangs I want them only in separate option packages. I'd hate to pay for that stuff just because I want leather seats.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I am fine with the lane keeper. I don't want it to drive for me, but to jolt me awake on long highway drives. It works wonders for that. I totaled a car in my youth when I fell asleep after a camping trip. I didn't know I was sleepy until I woke up in an ambulance! My lower back wouldn't have sucked quite so badly during the 25 years hence if my car then had slapped me when I crossed the outside line.

If you don't want that stuff on your car, you can opt for a different package. Options are good!
Sponsored