Are they staying cool on track?

Thumpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
All good info to pass along, but I’d really like to see someone pounding on one consistently cranking out laps in the vicinity of, or sub spec Miata lop records.

I’m surprised there isn’t more videos up by now? I.e. sub 1:58at NOLA

I guess I’ll be one of the guinea pigs!
The reason there aren’t many videos of sub 1:58s at NOLA is because there aren’t many guys running sub 1:58s at NOLA (outside of the advanced group, which is full of prepped race cars on race wheels). The fastest guy in the intermediate group was a Camaro SS 1 LE, who told me he runs 1:58-1:59s (and I couldn’t hang with him yet so he was accurate). The next fastest were a Cayman S and the Cayman GT4 Clubsport, who were running in the 2:00-2:01 range. They could catch me, but if they were in front of me I could hang with them. My fastest lap was being towed by the GT4. Watch videos from even NASA HPDE 3/HPDE4 - most guys in stock cars are running in the 2:05-2:06 range. Spec Miatas are a different animal. Apples to oranges. I used to do bike track days and had an R6 and a Ninja 250. A good rider on the 250s could hang with guys on 600s and 1000s. They are so small and light they just FLY through the turns. Same with spec Miatas. While the don’t have the acceleration or top speed of a muscle car, the key to speed on the track is carrying speed through the turns (but you already know all this).

Look up Time Trial results for NASA NOLA Region and what cars they are in. You want to see a bunch of sub 1:58s, go watch these guys...:crackup:
3E191336-7ECD-42CC-A977-36878115C07C.jpeg
4D72C993-07A0-493A-B83E-23D4716B10B4.jpeg
8F96CB1D-07A3-4C2E-BAD2-F510DE31DB44.jpeg
D5C16778-33CC-4D17-B983-5FD78C3F855F.jpeg

I think another reason you don’t see a lot of sub 1:58 videos posted is that the guys who are running those times in prepped cars aren’t the casual track day guys posting “look what I did this weekend!” If they are running those times, they’ve been doing this a long time, do it seriously, and are just past the video posting phase.

If you bring a prepped Mach 1 to NOLA, let me know. I’ll definitely come watch. I’m just an hour and a half away. Have you driven NOLA in the Miata?
Sponsored

Last edited:

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Thanks, I got it taken care of.

Lap at NOLA

3 seconds slower than my best lap, but best I got on camera unfortunately.
Nice driving!! Were you doing 3 x 30min sessions? How was your engine oil temp and rear diff temp? How was weather/track temp? I might have missed it, but are you on stock Mach1 springs/suspension? Guessing you were -1.7ish on the front vs -2.7ish?
And I might have missed this as well, but the Mach1 comes with Sportcup 2’s?
Sorry for all the questions, thanks for posting all you did in your detailed replies, appreciate it!

Thumpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Nice driving!! Were you doing 3 x 30min sessions? How was your engine oil temp and rear diff temp? How was weather/track temp? I might have missed it, but are you on stock Mach1 springs/suspension? Guessing you were -1.7ish on the front vs -2.7ish?
And I might have missed this as well, but the Mach1 comes with Sportcup 2’s?
Sorry for all the questions, thanks for posting all you did in your detailed replies, appreciate it!
I did 3 1/2 30 minute sessions. There were 5 sessions but my bad back couldn’t handle a full day. Weather was a nice sunny day, 88 degrees. As far as the specific temp gauges, I don’t recall specific numbers - just checked after each session to make sure nothing was high. Everything was fine and the breaks weren’t even smelling cooked like I remember in my Vette. The car was exactly as I drove it off the lot a couple weeks ago. Cup 2 tires, and I didn’t even reset the camber. I didn’t know that was a thing til the night before the track day and didn’t bother with it.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
I did 3 1/2 30 minute sessions. There were 5 sessions but my bad back couldn’t handle a full day. Weather was a nice sunny day, 88 degrees. As far as the specific temp gauges, I don’t recall specific numbers - just checked after each session to make sure nothing was high. Everything was fine and the breaks weren’t even smelling cooked like I remember in my Vette. The car was exactly as I drove it off the lot a couple weeks ago. Cup 2 tires, and I didn’t even reset the camber. I didn’t know that was a thing til the night before the track day and didn’t bother with it.
Kick-ass! Thank you for the feedback :like:

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I'm toying with the idea of getting a Mach 1 next year. However, for it to be worthwhile for me, it really needs to be a capable track car out of the box (not including consumables, such as track pads, tires, etc.). I don't want to have to replace radiators, add hood vents, etc. Given all the track cooling issues associated with non-Shelby S550s, I'm curious what exactly Ford has done to the Mach 1 that allows it to be driven at 10/10s for a 25-30 min track session without any cooling issues. The Shelby's have hood vents, as do the racing GT4 Mustangs. But the Mach 1 uses a standard hood. Are there additional cooling ducts/vents hidden somewhere, e.g., wheel wells, etc.? I'm just trying to understand exactly what they did on this model, that didn't necessitate a hood vent. Thanks.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I'm toying with the idea of getting a Mach 1 next year. However, for it to be worthwhile for me, it really needs to be a capable track car out of the box (not including consumables, such as track pads, tires, etc.). I don't want to have to replace radiators, add hood vents, etc. Given all the track cooling issues associated with non-Shelby S550s, I'm curious what exactly Ford has done to the Mach 1 that allows it to be driven at 10/10s for a 25-30 min track session without any cooling issues. The Shelby's have hood vents, as do the racing GT4 Mustangs. But the Mach 1 uses a standard hood. Are there additional cooling ducts/vents hidden somewhere, e.g., wheel wells, etc.? I'm just trying to understand exactly what they did on this model, that didn't necessitate a hood vent. Thanks.
There are added coolers to the car and yes, cooling vents in the wheel wells. I’ve tried to watch every review of the Mach 1 on track and I have yet to see any mention or concern of over heating. Seem to be holding up at the track attack as well.

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
It's definitely the same question I originally have--I haven't seen video or first hand from anyone truly beating the snot out of one for full sessions--305mm 200TW or below, 3+ degrees front camber, and Race pads just pounding on it.

I've mentioned previously in my PP2, I found the difference in heat generation was MASSIVE between running spirited laps compared to treating it like a rented mule for 25+ minutes.

I have a spare hood with race-louvers I plan to run on mine along with a GT500 airbox cover, but I'm a little nervous "hoping" the rest of the car is up to par.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
It's definitely the same question I originally have--I haven't seen video or first hand from anyone truly beating the snot out of one for full sessions--305mm 200TW or below, 3+ degrees front camber, and Race pads just pounding on it.

I've mentioned previously in my PP2, I found the difference in heat generation was MASSIVE between running spirited laps compared to treating it like a rented mule for 25+ minutes.

I have a spare hood with race-louvers I plan to run on mine along with a GT500 airbox cover, but I'm a little nervous "hoping" the rest of the car is up to par.
I have a 2018 EB PP car that I thought was "track ready" when I bought it, only to learn that it too, just like the GTs, needed a host of additional mods to stand up to sustained track use. I still have to short shift at 5K, with a stock tune motor, to run a complete 20-30 min session. Planning on GT4 hood vents for next year...unless I get the Mach 1. As you note, there is a BIG difference with an experienced driver pushing hard. When I ran with PCA, I recall one of my buddies telling me he was getting like 6-8 track days from the same pads/car that I was lucky to get 2 days from. Just wasn't pushing that hard.

Thumpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
2:03.00 lap at NOLA

Did my second track day on Friday, this time running PS4S tires. Saw no dropoff from the Cup2s. On the Cups, I ran a 2:02.48 last time, but the track was a half second shorter because we ran the “bus stop” configuration which eliminates one curve of the S turns. This time we ran the full esses (2.75mile configuration), so my 2:03.00 was basically the same lap time as my 2:02.48. It was also 20. degrees cooler this time out. My fastest lap was also my last lap of the day.

I did notice more squealing from the tires with just a slight bit of slipping, but no appreciable differences from the Cup 2 tires on the track. Again, had zero issues with the car. No overheating or any other issues. Ran a lot more consistently this time out (last time was my first track day in 2 years). My last session I ran 8 straight laps between 2:03-2:05s. Loving the PS4S tires - much better ride on the street, and minimal wear after a track day, unlike the Cup 2s.
Sponsored