Are these mods worth it? 17 GT Premium

Muevelos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2017
Hello, I don't plan to add a SC until about year 4-5 when it's paid off, have a secondary used crossover for my daughter (9 months ). For now, outside of the exhaust, I've been upgrading the suspension for obvious reasons! Want headers but will wait again.

My curiosity is regarding,

Cams
Ford racing FI
Gt350 Manifold and Heads
Maybe Fuel Pump?

Would these be worth it or should i wait until i add the SC? I've been told the cost of install on the cams main cost more then the cam itself.

Thanks all. This site is such a big help,
Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I don't plan to add a SC until about year 4-5 when it's paid off, have a secondary used crossover for my daughter (9 months ). For now, outside of the exhaust, I've been upgrading the suspension for obvious reasons! Want headers but will wait again.

Cams (no)
Ford racing FI (no)
Gt350 Manifold and Heads (no). Get an '18 manifold.
Maybe Fuel Pump? (no)

Would these be worth it or should i wait until i add the SC? I've been told the cost of install on the cams main cost more then the cam itself.

I said no to all. lol. Fuel system upgrade when you go SC. Get an '18 manifold(can be had for $400 or less). These engines do not really need aggressive cams, timing can be added via tuning.

OP
OP

Muevelos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2017
I said no to all. lol. Fuel system upgrade when you go SC. Get an '18 manifold(can be had for $400 or less). These engines do not really need aggressive cams, timing can be added via tuning.
You'd recommend the 18' intake over the 350 version? What about the Ford Performance Cylinder Head? Was also looking at The Whipple Billet throttle body and space but I'd assume that's a wait till the SC aswell.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150

Cams
Ford racing FI
Gt350 Manifold and Heads
Maybe Fuel Pump?

Personally I don't think any of those are worth doing. You're going to see much better results with a custom tune from PBD, Lund, AED or Li Tuning & Racing especially one for E85. The next thing I'd recommend would be some longtube headers. For the money those are the best performance mods besides going with Nitrous or Forced Induction.

Give us a shout if you have any questions and we'll be glad to help you out. We carry all of the custom tunes I mentioned on SCT devices as well as the Ngauge and the exhaust stuff.

Thanks!

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
You'd recommend the 18' intake over the 350 version? What about the Ford Performance Cylinder Head? Was also looking at The Whipple Billet throttle body and space but I'd assume that's a wait till the SC aswell.
Yes Sir, the gt350 will make a lil more power up top. TBH the stock 5.0 is pretty effiecient/powerful. 1st mods I did to my car after headers/exhaust was full steeda drag suspension. struts/shocks/springs. Car really hooked after that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Muevelos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2017
Personally I don't think any of those are worth doing. You're going to see much better results with a custom tune from PBD, Lund, AED or Li Tuning & Racing especially one for E85. The next thing I'd recommend would be some longtube headers. For the money those are the best performance mods besides going with Nitrous or Forced Induction.

Give us a shout if you have any questions and we'll be glad to help you out. We carry all of the custom tunes I mentioned on SCT devices as well as the Ngauge and the exhaust stuff.

Thanks!
I'll be getting a tune when i get my CAI. This is by DD, how does a E85 tune affect me for a DD currently?

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll be getting a tune when i get my CAI. This is by DD, how does a E85 tune affect me for a DD currently?
E85 will show you some nice gains over pump gas however you're going to go through the fuel a lot quicker. So you'll find yourself filling up more often on the E85 than you do on regular gasoline. You could always do a flex fuel tune which would work for both pump gas and E85 without having to change tunes. Or go with a pump gas tune as your primary tune and an E85 or flex tune as your secondary tune to run when you have access to E85.

Please feel free to give us a shout if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
E85 will show you some nice gains over pump gas however you're going to go through the fuel a lot quicker. So you'll find yourself filling up more often on the E85 than you do on regular gasoline. You could always do a flex fuel tune which would work for both pump gas and E85 without having to change tunes. Or go with a pump gas tune as your primary tune and an E85 or flex tune as your secondary tune to run when you have access to E85.

Please feel free to give us a shout if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
But e85 is also much cheaper so despite filling up more it evens out, especially considering the power to be gained :)

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But e85 is also much cheaper so despite filling up more it evens out, especially considering the power to be gained :)
Great point. It's like race fuel from the pump but doesn't cost nearly as much as race fuels such as MS109 or C16.

OP
OP

Muevelos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2017
According to E85Prices.com, I only have 2 stations within 50 miles, doesn't seem to be a option...

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
According to E85Prices.com, I only have 2 stations within 50 miles, doesn't seem to be a option...
That is not ideal. But maybe consider a flex tune so can run e85 when available but 93/91 the rest of the time on the same tune.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
LTH are probably the most noticeable mod you can do outside a tune. I noticed more power across the band vs just up top like the 18 manifold. Also the LTH will work very well when you go boosted down the road (assuming it is not turbo), whereas the 18 manifold won't be usefull if you go with a positive displacement supercharger.

Only thing on your list I would even consider is the GT350 intake manifold, but for the price I think it is not worth it (unless you get a really good deal).
Sponsored