Are these Cup 2’s done?

Shelby Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
None
I finally took these off my car after my last track event and was wondering if they have maybe one track day left. They are for track only, intermediate driver, and they have approx. 25 sessions on them. Thanks

D653672A-0371-4024-A207-D922658DCF96.jpeg
561BDEE8-7C50-4E23-A80D-C8FDD2786BCE.jpeg
D908153B-BBA2-47D2-A2F9-EC4926D54053.jpeg
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’d say two more depending on track, alignment, and your driving.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
2 on the right look clearly servicable to me. You're still above the wear markers even. How 'pliable' are they? I don't see any obvious bluing. Obviously I wouldn't run them in anything but dry weather. I think you have another full day on them yet. Just be mindful to check them after each session to make sure you haven't broken thru the tread and gotten into the casing layer.

But if you've gotten 4 days out of them so far, you've gotten your money's worth. Just buy SuperCar 3/3R at 30% off thru USAA. If you're not a member, find a pal who is.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I finally took these off my car after my last track event and was wondering if they have maybe one track day left. They are for track only, intermediate driver, and they have approx. 25 sessions on them. Thanks

D653672A-0371-4024-A207-D922658DCF96.jpeg
561BDEE8-7C50-4E23-A80D-C8FDD2786BCE.jpeg
D908153B-BBA2-47D2-A2F9-EC4926D54053.jpeg
You have enough tread for at least 1-2 more days. I’m really surprised at how even they’re wearing…. The shoulder wear seams very minimal. Just curious, how much camber are you running and what tire pressure are you aiming for Hot?

If you have 25 sessions on them already, you might heat cycle the tires before you run out of tread. You’ll know when you get there because they’ll start feeling greasy. When someone first told me that, I had no idea what they were talking about. Believe me… you’ll know when it happens (if it happens)

I’m on my 4’th set of cups for the season and they’re almost gone. I don’t consider taking them off until I start seeing cord (and not just cord visible because the tire has started to chunk.)

Happy tracking!

Last edited:

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
You have enough tread for at least 1-2 more days. I’m really surprised at how even they’re wearing…. The shoulder wear seams very minimal. Just curious, how much camber are you running and what tire pressure are you aiming for Hot?

If you have 25 sessions on them already, you might heat cycle the tires before you run out of tread. You’ll know when you get there because they’ll start feeling greasy. When someone first told me that, I had no idea what they were talking about. Believe me… you’ll know when it happens (if it happens)

I’m on my 4’th set of cups for the season and they’re almost gone. I don’t consider taking them off until I start seeing cord (and not just cord visible because the tire has started to chunk.)

Happy tracking!
What's the greasey feeling like?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
What's the greasey feeling like?
In its most basic form it’s just another way of saying a loss of traction, as if someone put a thin layer of grease on your tires. If my fronts heat cycle out, I’ll get crazy understeer. My lap times at my home track go from 1:16.3x’s to 1:17.8x’s. If the rears heat cycle out (which is more rare for me), the rear end will come around much easier and is less predictable going through high speed turns. YMMV

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5

Happy tracking!
I agree and also ask the camber question and tire pressure. Definitely a few more sessions BUT!

Looks like more camber could be set, as inside has way more tread. One of them look over inflated as all wear is in the middle.
For sure keep an eye on them and first sign of threads/cords showing you must toss.

Another thing, should you roll the dice and keep running them, you risk loosing the weekend if threads/cords show the first time out.

The heat cycles on the tire now have most likely gone too many times. What that means is, the tires are crap, anyone jumping in your car and going 8/10’s will burn them off the rim in the next session. For sure the grip level is greatly reduced.

if you go easy like you have, you probably have a few more sessions.

You will know when the cords show three ways, looking at them obviously, tires all of a sudden feel bumpy, or you flat spot the tires.

Finally, it’s not about saving $20 bucks and getting one more session, it’s about being safe when you’re going 100+MPH. You can have the cords show and two turns later you flat spot the tires and hit the wall.

Be safe

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shelby Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for the comments and information! I do plan on getting the Goodyear tires after these are done. I have negative camber upfront at 2.25 and a -1.75 in the rear. My tire pressure I start out is a little high. 30 in the front and 29 in the rear. I usually just leave them there because they cool down between sessions. I believe they get up to 37 to 38 hot. Tire wear seems to last a little longer.

Sponsored

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Thanks for the comments and information! I do plan on getting the Goodyear tires after these are done. I have negative camber upfront at 2.25 and a -1.75 in the rear. My tire pressure I start out is a little high. 30 in the front and 29 in the rear. I usually just leave them there because they cool down between sessions. I believe they get up to 37 to 38 hot. Tire wear seems to last a little longer.
Just curious, what tracks do you run?
Willow Springs
Thermo
AZ tracks
Spring Mountain?

OP
OP

Shelby Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
None
Mainly Willow Springs as of late. I did run spring mountain at the Shelby bash last month. I really love that track!

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I'd suggest a tire temperature gauge. I'd do 4 spots across each tire after the last hot lap. It needs to be ~equal temps--which means the entire tire is working.

You are asking the outside part of the tire to do the most work. But yes, I say run them until the threads show or the tire completely loses grip.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
You need -2.5 to -2.7 a minimum