Sponsored

Are these Cup 2’s done?

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Billy, curious why you say they are done?
Because 25 sessions is a lot and ~600 track miles. But since you asked, I looked a lot closer at the tires and based off of the track mileage, tire wear and pressures, he could probably get another day (and potentially two) out of the tires at his pace/experience level/track conditions. If he goes to a higher friction track or if his pace increases significantly, he may not be able to get a day out of them; but I doubt that.

The lack of wear on the outer shoulder and the heavily worn 3rd groove means his camber is probably fine as is, but he should be running lower pressures. Another -0.2* wouldn't hurt but is not needed.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What's the greasey feeling like?
if you’re pissed off at your tires cause they’re not givingyou the grip you’re used to, they might be heat cycled out.

ya they can get sketchy at the end before they show cord. esp if they’ve had too many heat cycles. Trust your judgement, track isn’t always the best place to push consumable limits while you’re also pushing performance and driver limits. Better to replace things one event early than one event late

OP
OP

Shelby Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
None
I appreciate all the information and comments! Tracking these cars is a great experience! I really enjoyed watching Billy fly by me on the track!!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Better to replace things one event early than one event late
exactly. at this point just burn them at a local auto-cross event or on the street but don't even think of re-using them next May. Penny-wise, pound foolish. My 0.0000002.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
if you’re pissed off at your tires cause they’re not givingyou the grip you’re used to, they might be heat cycled out.

ya they can get sketchy at the end before they show cord. esp if they’ve had too many heat cycles. Trust your judgement, track isn’t always the best place to push consumable limits while you’re also pushing performance and driver limits. Better to replace things one event early than one event late
I have Fire Hawk Indy 500s so I am trying to determine if I was feeling that sensation or normal oversteer from pushing the car past the grip thresh hold. I ran into predictable oversteer at one particular corner (which I can get you guys a map of). There was no tire squeal, just too much turn in than I expected and was easily corrected. I ran 29psi which I now know is the wrong way.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have Fire Hawk Indy 500s so I am trying to determine if I was feeling that sensation or normal oversteer from pushing the car past the grip thresh hold.
or your tires were over-temp.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
or your tires were over-temp.
Isn't that essentially going past the limit of grip? If grip is various but dependent on action which any action generates friction, then going in too fast ought to create oversteer regardless of temperature?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Because 25 sessions is a lot and ~600 track miles. But since you asked, I looked a lot closer at the tires and based off of the track mileage, tire wear and pressures, he could probably get another day (and potentially two) out of the tires at his pace/experience level/track conditions. If he goes to a higher friction track or if his pace increases significantly, he may not be able to get a day out of them; but I doubt that.

The lack of wear on the outer shoulder and the heavily worn 3rd groove means his camber is probably fine as is, but he should be running lower pressures. Another -0.2* wouldn't hurt but is not needed.

Thanks Billy. Always in learning mode over here

david.b.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Hi folks,

Instead of starting a new thread, I found this older one to ask the same question if the OP doesn't mind.

My stock Cup 2s need to be replaced. Especially the passenger side, given they've been driven on mostly left-hand corner tracks. 3 days total + ~8k easy street miles, stock alignment. The front right one has some chunking and a bit of cording as the pictures sort of show (the last 4th picture is of the front left one). I ordered a new set a while ago, but as luck would have it, they're on backorder. My question is, would you still do a day or two on these, or is it like a "hell no, you should have replaced them a while ago" situation?

Thanks!

First three pictures are of the passenger-side, right front tire. Fourth picture is of the driver-side left front tire. (Rear tires are in better shape and are not shown here.)
passenger-side_1.jpeg

passenger-side_2.jpeg

passenger-side_3.jpeg

driver-side.jpeg

Last edited:

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
You should say if it is left side or right side as well as front or back tires.

Sponsored

david.b.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
In case anyone else finds this info useful: To answer my own question above lol, those fronts didn't last more than a half track day:

IMG_0923.jpeg

IMG_0924.jpeg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Son, you gott's to learn how not to abuse your tires.

Harry Hogge: Well, hell yes, it’s your fault. There’s 40 other vultures out there who manage to finish the race on THEIR tires. You see Darrell Waltrip usin’ up HIS tires?

:) :)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In case anyone else finds this info useful: To answer my own question above lol, those fronts didn't last more than a half track day:
Now you can join the Supercar3(r) camp.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
20220813_083827.jpg

Front passenger. 4750 miles. No track time. How we lookin?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Lookin’ like you been having yourself a good old time. Could be time to rotate L-R depending on how much more wear the other front has. Stay dry and keep an eye on ‘em.
Sponsored