Sponsored

Are there different 2.3 Ecoboost engines?

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
There is no evidence that anything was done to the block as far as we know its the same all across, this seems to fall in line with the rest of the failures, bad gas, LSPI. no method of blocks/internals can withstand major LSPI events. We never hear failures occurring during balls to walls.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DruDru_97

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost premium
OAR is something i monitor regularly as it helps ensure the fuel quality is up to par. It could have been a bad fill up. Happens. I seen my oar drop drastically using 93 from a kangaroo a couple of times so i avoid them.

Another thought is unless you already upgraded it is your low pressure fuel sensor may have went or was malfunctioning. The older models were known for that sensor problem.
could you link me to that? I have one bookmarked for the HPFP sensor.

I filled up at a Loves truck stop. I fill up with them on a regular basis so I trust them.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
There is no evidence that anything was done to the block as far as we know its the same all across, this seems to fall in line with the rest of the failures, bad gas, LSPI. no method of blocks/internals can withstand major LSPI events. We never hear failures occurring during balls to walls.

Across all Mustang S550 years yes aside from the HPP. I agree. People have speculated but no proof. But the HPP and RS have a stronger die cast alloy block. But i agree it was likely LSPI and if severe enough nope no rod nor block would be 100% bullet proof.

could you link me to that? I have one bookmarked for the HPFP sensor.

I filled up at a Loves truck stop. I fill up with them on a regular basis so I trust them.

The Low side pressure sensor?

Here is one at cjpony parts. But can be had on ebay cheaper

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-lo...MI_rvF4M2Z7QIVBk2GCh2mvwtNEAQYASABEgKbDfD_BwE

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Across all Mustang S550 years yes aside from the HPP. I agree. People have speculated but no proof. But the HPP and RS have a stronger die cast alloy block. But i agree it was likely LSPI and if severe enough nope no rod nor block would be 100% bullet proof.

The Low side pressure sensor?

Here is one at cjpony parts. But can be had on ebay cheaper

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-lo...MI_rvF4M2Z7QIVBk2GCh2mvwtNEAQYASABEgKbDfD_BwE

Evidence? It has been known since the RS came out the block is the same...

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
FWIW, Adam Brunson, the tuner/engine guru, has said that all the Eco blocks come from Spain. Apparently, the only change for the HPP is that they make a big deal about it. It's not a lie, it's just a rather trivial detail. Apparently, they're all the same alloy and design. The only thing I haven't seen verified one way or the other is that the HPP might have an upgraded head gasket.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude it's trivial stuff, the 2015's were all from Spain all the way to some 16's it's the same block in a different place.

OP
OP
DruDru_97

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost premium
I appreciate the help guys. I will definitely get the LSPI once I get the parts together for the 2.0 block build.

if this helps verify any potential reason for the detonation at highway speeds, 75-80,it would misfire on cylinder 1 for a minute or two if you got past 60/70% throttle. This happened on occasion for a few months leading to the “eco boom”

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs

Sponsored

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP/HP 6MT, 03 Boxster S, 97 M3
The HPP block has higher strength cylinder liners for the higher combustion pressures. The HPP also has a higher strength cylinder head and a different head gasket and runs a lower static compression ratio of 9.37 to 1. Regular Ecoboost are 9.5 to 1. As reported above the HPP engine is also built in Spain. I do not know if the block material is higher strength but the cylinder liners are.

Attachments

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
The note below is from Tune Plus. He's a reputable Ecoboost platform tuner and engine builder.

"NOTE, ALL OUR ENGINES ARE BUILT WITH 2.0 (TS) FORD FUSION BLOCKS, BUT 2.3L INTERNALS. THIS IS TO AVOID CRACKING ON THE BLOCK THAT THE FACTORY 2.3L ENGINE BLOCK HAS BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE HAPPEN. 2.0 BLOCKS DO NOT REQUIRE CYLINDER SUPPORT SYSTEMS AS THEY ARE SEMI-CLOSED DECK.

*MUSTANG CUSTOMERS WILL USE 3 OUT OF THE 4 ENGINE BRACKET HOLES WITH THIS BLOCK*".

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I appreciate the help guys. I will definitely get the LSPI once I get the parts together for the 2.0 block build.

if this helps verify any potential reason for the detonation at highway speeds, 75-80,it would misfire on cylinder 1 for a minute or two if you got past 60/70% throttle. This happened on occasion for a few months leading to the “eco boom”
Sorry for the thread derail, I agree the 2.0 is the way to go.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The note below is from Tune Plus. He's a reputable Ecoboost platform tuner and engine builder.

"NOTE, ALL OUR ENGINES ARE BUILT WITH 2.0 (TS) FORD FUSION BLOCKS, BUT 2.3L INTERNALS. THIS IS TO AVOID CRACKING ON THE BLOCK THAT THE FACTORY 2.3L ENGINE BLOCK HAS BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE HAPPEN. 2.0 BLOCKS DO NOT REQUIRE CYLINDER SUPPORT SYSTEMS AS THEY ARE SEMI-CLOSED DECK.

*MUSTANG CUSTOMERS WILL USE 3 OUT OF THE 4 ENGINE BRACKET HOLES WITH THIS BLOCK*".
This is from the aforementioned Mr. Brunson. According to him, all Eco blocks are the same. He says that all of the 'bonus' features of the HPP engine, aside from the head gasket, is exactly the same as the base, but marketed differently.

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
You can cast a block in Spain and ship it to Cleveland to assemble. Just sayin.
Sponsored