Sponsored

Are the stock Pirellis bad enough to replace ASAP?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Once cold weather arrived and temps started to dip down in the 30's they became skittish and it got worse the colder it got.
Again, news to me. Mine were just fine.
IMG_20180303_135806_805.jpg
Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Again, news to me. Mine were just fine.
That's fine, glad you were satisfied with them. Just because your experience with these tires was different than mine doesn't invalidate anything I wrote. I gave my reasons for replacing them based on what I felt and observed after driving on them for 10 months in variety of conditions.

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
So Costco current has the Michelin PS4 AS on sale for $731 installed and I’m kind of tempted.

Are the Pirellis (P Zero Nero)bad enough to replace on a new car or are they good enough to live with until they need replacing?
The Pirellis are so crap they'll wear out before you know it and then your decision will be made for you. I got 14000km out of the rear, normal driving no burn outs.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The Pirellis are so crap they'll wear out before you know it and then your decision will be made for you. I got 14000km out of the rear, normal driving no burn outs.
OP has all seasons. He will get far more than 14k km out of them. Now the summer tires are another matter all together.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I could only stand 7K on my OEM Pirelli's.

On the interstate at 75 mph they sounded like one of the 3 stooges was in the trunk screaming "whoop- whoop-whoop-whoop".

They were noisy and traction was the pits on a stock 2018 GT.

Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
So am I better off just riding on the Neros until I can find a complete set of PP wheels and Tires at a good price?
That's certainly an option, but keep in mind that the PP wheels are absurdly heavy and not wide enough to be that much of an upgrade. There are better options out there.
Yeah this.

I'm cool with the Pirellis until they wear out, but they do not like cold. It doesn't even get very cold where I am, but back in February those tires really fought for grip. They feel like different tires now that its warm.

Its fine. It just means I cant drive like a jackass 2 months out of the year.
I had the P Zero Nero A/S in 255/40-19 originally. They weren't the best in their class, they weren't the worst either. They definitely didn't like cold (BTW, PS4 are a summer tire and aren't meant to be used at under 40F).
I got about 22k out of them by last Thanksgiving but didn't want to go into winter with tires that were nearing the end of the line. I replaced the Pirellis with Conti DSW06 and the difference was substantial. These are now my winter wheels. If you plan to drive moderately, the Pirellis aren't that bad, use 'em up and then replace them with something better. If you live in a place where the temp gets below 40, stick with all-seasons or plan on having a set of winter wheels. Your stock wheels can be the winter set.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My observation about the Nero on the GT is that they are a very noisy tire and get progressively more noisy as they wear. Additionally, the ride is very hard in comparison to some other comparable tires.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I only put 900 miles on my P-Zeros, but that is because I didn't like the GT/CS rims...........
Put Foose Legends 20's on and G-Force Comp-2 T/A's 255/35ZR20 & 275/35ZR20.
11,000 mile and they still look brand new!

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
I put 18k mi on the stock PZnero's and they still have plenty of tread left, so much that they kinda still look new. I changed them out for PP1 wheels and Michelin's, partly for look's, ride quality. From experience I figured the Mich's would be a quieter ride, and they are, smoother over the rough and they are. I went with the 275-40-19's which have an obvious advantage to tread contact so a traction comparison is already weighted towards the Mich's.

I would say that no the Pirelli's are not tire's that need to be replaced because they are junk or un- safe, but rather a fair compromise for the performance and dollar.

By the way 275's are about 300 apiece. That Costco deal seems pretty good for the 235-50-18's
Sponsored