Sponsored

Are the stock Pirellis bad enough to replace ASAP?

LeroyJohsan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So Costco current has the Michelin PS4 AS on sale for $731 installed and I’m kind of tempted.

Are the Pirellis (P Zero Nero)bad enough to replace on a new car or are they good enough to live with until they need replacing?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So Costco current has the Michelin PS4 AS on sale for $731 installed and I’m kind of tempted.

Are the Pirellis bad enough to replace on a new car or are they good enough to live with until they need replacing?
Don’t believe the hype….

As of right now, my 2018 has 44k on it and still has the stock Pirelli P-Zero Summer tires…. No shit. That’s also driving them through all 4 seasons here in NJ. I took delivery of the car in March 2018.

The tread isn’t down to the tread bars yet, but is damn close. Tires have pretty even wear across all (4).

Tires have been rotated at very oil interval (5k). Tire psi is always checked when tires are cold. I don’t “launch” from every stop light or drift into curves…. Don’t get me wrong, the car is driven and WOT pushed at times, but IMO, if you do the above with any tire, you can get miles out of them.

—-

If you’re dying to get new tires - pull the Pirellis and sell them to apply the proceeds towards your new set.

OP
OP

LeroyJohsan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Don’t believe the hype….

As of right now, my 2018 has 44k on it and still has the stock Pirelli P-Zero Summer tires…. No shit. That’s also driving them through all 4 seasons here in NJ. I took delivery of the car in March 2018.

The tread isn’t down to the tread bars yet, but is damn close. Tires have pretty even wear across all (4).

Tires have been rotated at very oil interval (5k). Tire psi is always checked when tires are cold. I don’t “launch” from every stop light or drift into curves…. Don’t get me wrong, the car is driven and WOT pushed at times, but IMO, if you do the above with any tire, you can get miles out of them.

—-

If you’re dying to get new tires - pull the Pirellis and sell them to apply the proceeds towards your new set.
Do you have the P Zero or the P Zero Nero? I should’ve specified I mean the Nero.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do you have the P Zero or the P Zero Nero? I should’ve specified I mean the Nero.
P-Zeros, Summer Only. These were standard on quite a few of the 2015-2018 S550’s equipped with the Performance Pack option group.

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Are the Pirellis (P Zero Nero)bad enough to replace on a new car or are they good enough to live with until they need replacing?

If you plan on racing your car then those pirellis will struggle to get off the line. If you're just doing spirited driving then they should be fine. My stock pirellis and stock wheels just spun up to the top of second even when i feathered the gas pedal to try to gain traction.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LeroyJohsan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not racing. Just some spirited highway / entrance ramp pulls. Probably won’t give it much gas unless the wheels are turned straight.

If you plan on racing your car then those pirellis will struggle to get off the line. If you're just doing spirited driving then they should be fine. My stock pirellis and stock wheels just spun up to the top of second even when i feathered the gas pedal to try to gain traction.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Push you car as you would want to and then make the decision. For me, I yanked mine off the car at around 12K miles when I bought my car in 15. The Pirelli's were down right scary when pushed to the limits.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I think the ride and grip with the PZeros is not as good as with the Michelin. But, I have no plans to replace them until they wear out.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think they're fine, they completely fail to hold the power if you're trying to race in a straight line, but other tire related things? They're pretty ok.

Five_OhGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Mustang GT Premium/'13 Ford Focus ST ST3
Vehicle Showcase

Leave them on until you plan on replacing the boat anchor stock wheels, or run the tread down to the end of their life.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I bought my car brand new in March - after sub freezing temps were done. It came with P-Zero Nero A/S - they were fine during the warm seasons. No issues with rain or wet roads either. Once cold weather arrived and temps started to dip down in the 30's they became skittish and it got worse the colder it got. The back end would easily break loose under moderate acceleration. Once it got below freezing low speed turns on dry pavement became an adventure. At that point I didn't trust them for winter driving and replaced them at 10K miles with Conti DWS 06's. Night an day difference, especially during the winter months. My only beef is the tread life has been no where close to 50K. I got 30K out of the last set with regular tire rotations. My car is a DD and I live in 4 season country.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I bought my car brand new in March - after sub freezing temps were done. It came with P-Zero Nero A/S - they were fine during the warm seasons. No issues with rain or wet roads either. Once cold weather arrived and temps started to dip down in the 30's they became skittish and it got worse the colder it got. The back end would easily break loose under moderate acceleration. Once it got below freezing low speed turns on dry pavement became an adventure. At that point I didn't trust them for winter driving and replaced them at 10K miles with Conti DWS 06's. Night an day difference, especially during the winter months. My only beef is the tread life has been no where close to 50K. I got 30K out of the last set with regular tire rotations. My car is a DD and I live in 4 season country.
You'll never get good tire wear out of a performance car like this. Too much negative camber.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
they'll get you to the grocery store and back. most of the time. :)
The Nero was so poor I ripped them off my GTI in first 2 months of ownership.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

They are not “bad” tires. Are they the best, no, but they are just fine for your style of driving. I have them on my GT/CS. No issues even when pushed.

Are you sure about that Costco price for A/S4’s? I paid more than that four years ago for A/S3+‘s (235-50R-18) for my 15’ EB. At that price maybe I’d consider it.
Sponsored