Sponsored

Are spoilers functional on the S550?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Are any of the S550 spoilers functional in regard to creating enough down force to assist with maneuvering, speed, etc....or is it mainly about looks?

I love the look of my car without a spoiler. Just didn't know if it was worth it for function to have one.

Thanks
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The track focused PP2 spoiler is good for 24lbs at 80 mph. Not enough for you to really worry about the difference unless you're doing serious tracking.

I don't think proper numbers were ever provided for the R wing either.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
The track focused PP2 spoiler is good for 24lbs at 80 mph. Not enough for you to really worry about the difference unless you're doing serious tracking.

I don't think proper numbers were ever provided for the R wing either.
I'm not sure how to look the PP2 and R wing up. I tried googling it and it just took me to a bunch of different spoilers/wings. But when you say 24lbs. I'm guessing thats down force equivalent to putting 24lbs of weight back there. Is that significant? What would it allow for vs. not having it whether it's maneuvering, speed, etc.?

Thanks!

sed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I doubt they provide any real benefit at highway speeds, but what about people doing the Texas Mile looking to crack 200 mph? I bet the front splitter and the PP1 wing provide significant downforce at those speeds. I'd think every little bit would help then. I bet Ford has put everything in a wind tunnel and if not run at those speeds certainly the data can be extrapolated up. The underside of the PP1 wing isn't flat, it has grooves running side to side which were probably engineered there for a reason.

Edit: a quick Google of Ford Mustang aerodynamics yields lots of results. Heres one interesting read: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...o-look-at-the-new-mustangs-slick-aero-tricks/

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Just for a frame of reference; the aero ads to the Viper ACR add 2000 lbs of down force at 177 mph.

Sponsored

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Just for a frame of reference; the aero ads to the Viper ACR add 2000 lbs of down force at 177 mph.
Just for a frame of reference, the aero ads to the Airbus A380 added 1,234,600lbs of lift force at 173mph.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda has presented their wings as functional and their driver has noted that it adds downforce. I know some folks with the APR GT-250 that no doubt adds downforce but its much for a street car IMO. There is another APR wing that has a lower profile but most of the people who installed it say it is more show than function.

Lastly there are folks installing the ZR1 Addons wicker bill. Maybe not as sexy as some of the spoilers out there but something that has shown to be effective in other applications.
Sponsored