Are sagging leather seats unavoidable ?

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Hey. Have a 2020 with about 4k miles on it. It seems like the bottom of the seat is already wrinkling / sagging and there is some wrinkling on the left bolster.

is this just something to live with? My Lincoln has Active X and it didn’t wrinkle or sag at all.

for context, I’m like 270 lbs so I’m bot exactly small.
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed mine have some sag in them at 21k miles on it. I was telling my wife about it and she looked at me and told me to loose some weight.

OP
OP

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
I noticed mine have some sag in them at 21k miles on it. I was telling my wife about it and she looked at me and told me to loose some weight.
I really wish they would just do the Active X. Those held up so well!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
for context, I’m like 270 lbs
Unfortunately, it's going to be rare for a sport seat not to have issues with that weight, as they're simply not built for that target. Heck, I barely fit comfortably in them, and I'm just a little over half your weight. I have 4,055 miles on my car as of yesterday, and both front seats still look like new... even though my car sat in the showroom for months, with who knows how many people sitting on them. So as the seat is widened from its original shape by larger folks, something has got to give, unfortunately.

I haven't heard of 'Active X' before, so don't know what that is, but my brother also has a Lincoln MKC, and his seats are ultra wide compared to the Mustang's, so obviously made for larger people. Even if you get the seats fixed, you'd probably have the same problem in another 4K miles, unfortunately. The better alternative would be to have a professional upholstery shop reshape the seats to your frame, and also use the appropriate foam for your weight. And if you can swing it, also use better leather, and on the entire front surface, rather than just the middle (perforated) area. That way, you'd have better looking seats than factory, much more comfortable for you, and would last you a long time. Good luck.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The foam used in most seats is not designed for that much weight. I weigh 235 and have the same issue, plus I can only drive my GT for about 45 minutes before the sciatic nerve in my back starts screaming. No problems with my BMW seats.

OP
OP

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Unfortunately, it's going to be rare for a sport seat not to have issues with that weight, as they're simply not built for that target. Heck, I barely fit comfortably in them, and I'm just a little over half your weight. I have 4,055 miles on my car as of yesterday, and both front seats still look like new... even though my car sat in the showroom for months, with who knows how many people sitting on them. So as the seat is widened from its original shape by larger folks, something has got to give, unfortunately.

I haven't heard of 'Active X' before, so don't know what that is, but my brother also has a Lincoln MKC, and his seats are ultra wide compared to the Mustang's, so obviously made for larger people. Even if you get the seats fixed, you'd probably have the same problem in another 4K miles, unfortunately. The better alternative would be to have a professional upholstery shop reshape the seats to your frame, and also use the appropriate foam for your weight. And if you can swing it, also use better leather, and on the entire front surface, rather than just the middle (perforated) area. That way, you'd have better looking seats than factory, much more comfortable for you, and would last you a long time. Good luck.
Active X is Ford’s vinyl. Every car we’ve had with it has held up so much better than actual leather.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Okay, thanks. Yeah, vinyl is definitely sturdier than leather. And there are very good quality vinyls that are hard to tell apart from real leather. At least the crappy kind that Ford uses. Ha ha. In addition, the part leather seats look like crap when the front surfaces also have vinyl, like in my car, which doesn't even resemble to match the leather. And my car has 'upgraded' leather; can't imagine how the crappier one looks. Ha ha.

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
EVERY recent Mustang I’ve seen has wrinkled leather seats. Yes it’s normal on a recent Mustang but not other vehicles. My 2020 was wrinkled pretty bad. My 2014 not at all. Another Ford screw up. I now have a 3 year old Audi A5 convertible. No wrinkles at all in the seats. Nor in my 2019 Toyota Highlander.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
EVERY recent Mustang I’ve seen has wrinkled leather seats. Yes it’s normal on a recent Mustang but not other vehicles. My 2020 was wrinkled pretty bad. My 2014 not at all. Another Ford screw up. I now have a 3 year old Audi A5 convertible. No wrinkles at all in the seats. Nor in my 2019 Toyota Highlander.
My A5 seats were a mess but it was 7 years old @ 97k miles.

my mustang doesn't have any issues. 215 but at only 12k miles

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My A5 seats were a mess but it was 7 years old @ 97k miles.
But were they leather (special package required)? The great majority are vinyl (aka 'leatherette'), so not apples to oranges exactly. Having said that, the cheapo Mustang only has leather in the middle, the perforated part. Even the vinyl on the Mustang is super cheap, including the 'premium' trim, which I have.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
But were they leather (special package required)? The great majority are vinyl (aka 'leatherette'), so not apples to oranges exactly. Having said that, the cheapo Mustang only has leather in the middle, the perforated part. Even the vinyl on the Mustang is super cheap, including the 'premium' trim, which I have.
yes
Sponsored