Sponsored

Are Koni Yellows worth the money

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
I might be buying a set of Koni Yellows with BMR handling springs used for $600. Are these worth the money? Am I going to feel a big difference? I'm definitely going to get lowering springs anyway, just wasn't sure about the shocks and struts.

Thanks.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you'll see a huge, huge difference with those. The car will be much more planted and controlled. They are a great match with those springs, but will work with others well too.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
They made a huge difference for me. I run GT350R springs with them but it should be a similar improvement. There's no comparison to the stock setup.

BackInBlack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I agree - huge improvement when I went to the Koni adjustables. Significantly reduced the amount of "bouncy-ness" of the PP suspension.

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
Yup, worth the money!

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
For that price, head over to the ATM and pay the man. Assuming they're tip top.

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Huge difference, yes. But worth the money, NO for me. Save up some more money and buy some better shocks or coilovers.

OP
OP

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huge difference, yes. But worth the money, NO for me. Save up some more money and buy some better shocks or coilovers.
Well I'm getting the Koni Yellow, BMR handling springs and camber bolts for $600. So I figure that's a pretty good deal

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Well I'm getting the Koni Yellow, BMR handling springs and camber bolts for $600. So I figure that's a pretty good deal
For the sake of your spine I hope you got smooth roads in Chicago. I had yellows with Steeda Ultralites (significantly softer) and I deemed them too stiff (compression not adjustable on yellows). I sold them to a local mustang owner who does HPDEs at least once a month. She thought they were too stiff and is back to OEM struts.

OP
OP

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The roads are not bad in the suburbs where I live. Is it really that stiff. I would like to do track days once a month so looking for good handling. But yeah, I don't want harsh. I had H&R springs on my Sonata turbo, and when I hit a bump the car sounded like it would bottom out. Terrible. I dont want that again.

Sponsored
OP
OP

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anybody else think they are really harsh?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have Steeda's Pro-Action adjustable shocks, which are a variant of Koni Yellows with improved compression control, using track rate springs that are firmer than the BMR Handling springs and the ride on the street isn't harsh.

Maybe go with those - will have to spend more money but.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I have the Koni Yellows, and I would in no way describe them as even remotely harsh.

They take the slop out of the stock damping, and it makes the whole vehicle much more enjoyable. Maybe they will be harsh if you forget to trim your bump stops or otherwise screw up your install but absolutely not harsh, no.

OP
OP

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I figured getting about $1000 setup for $600 would be a decent deal. I don't need the best and not trying to spend tons since I just spent $9k on the car last month with Procharger, wheels, tires, tune and on and on.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Anybody else think they are really harsh?
If you insist on leaving the damping way up where you'd put it for a track day and then go hunting for roads with potholes, broken pavement, and mismatched concrete slabs on the ride home, you'd probably think so. But being able to avoid that without too much trouble is one of the benefits of Koni's adjustability even in SA form.

Now if your H&R spring experience was paired with Tokico Illumina adjustables, well, the fillings in your teeth have my sympathy.

Norm
Sponsored