Sponsored

Are dual fans and OPG needed for stock tuned whipple?

Csb1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Just wanted to know if I needed the opg and dual fans if it's going to be a street car and on the base whipple tune?
Sponsored

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
Just wanted to know if I needed the opg and dual fans if it's going to be a street car and on the base whipple tune?
As with anything you leave stock, you run the risk of it giving out when you add a large amount of power and actually use it. They're certainly peace of mind mods, but if you plan on keeping your car long term it's a must.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
For a street cat you should be fine without both. But I would a the very least add the race damper to reduce the crank harmonics and its affect on the driven OPG.

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
With all respect, i disagree the members say they are not. i have them on mine. the fans are not that loud, i dont even notice them now. even running my car hard, the head tems is even lower than when i was running stock, because of the fans. if you invest the money in the Whipple, do it right.

Sponsored

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Fans are required if you want the power all the time. If you like heat soak don't install them its that simple.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
With all respect, i disagree the members say they are not. i have them on mine. the fans are not that loud, i dont even notice them now. even running my car hard, the head tems is even lower than when i was running stock, because of the fans. if you invest the money in the Whipple, do it right.
Well just to clear with my statement about the fans. I have a standalone IAT 2 sensor reading th through the zietronix ZT-2 to my Ngauge so it's real world IAT 2 not what most have which is a screwed reading for the OE PCM to an OBD2 reading. I also have a switch in the cabin for my fans so I can turn them on and off on the fly. My reading while driving slow speed stop and go reveal very little difference I the IAT2 temps with fan on or off. Not saying thy don't do anything, but it's not as dramatic as one would think.

EDIT: I live up north only drive in the summer 70-85 degrees nominal temps, if I was in a really hot climate it maybe more of a concern to have the fans.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
nothing is "needed", the kit is made to bolt on and go, it's a just a matter if you want to do the extras.

hit us up for all your whipple needs.

Beef
513-478-1965

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
Oil pump gears/crank sprocket and fans are not NEEDED but are recommended. The oil pump gears and crank sprocket are more of piece of mind on a car with an out of the box Whipple kit. Whipple offers a warranty with their complete kits (for a nominal fee) so that should tell you how they feel about the stock engine with one of their kits installed. The fans, they are more for performance. Cooler boost temps mean more consistent power in all conditions.

As Whipples largest distributor in the US, if you have any questions regarding their kits and compatibility, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I don't have either and track my car aggressively. Can something fail...sure; Will it necessarily?......who knows. There are reps on this site that have the same setup and beat them with no mercy and no problems. Whipples tune incredibly focus' on the safety of your engine while still delivering incredible power. All of my engine (besides the Whipple of course) is stock with stock drivetrain. You have to be comfortable with your own choice.

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Can someone post average IAT temp that has fans? I have no fans, and I average 30 over ambient. Most I ever see is maybe 34max in any situation. I'd like to hear the difference from someone with fans. This is using the on board gauges in the car. So let's keep it apples to apples. Thanks!

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Can someone post average IAT temp that has fans? I have no fans, and I average 30 over ambient. Most I ever see is maybe 34max in any situation. I'd like to hear the difference from someone with fans. This is using the on board gauges in the car. So let's keep it apples to apples. Thanks!
The onboard gauge as you call it in the center stack will tell you nothing about the temps we are talking about becuase it's read from the MAF at the inlet IAT1. IAT1 will not be affected by the fans, the only thing affecting it is ambient temps and engine temps under the hood. What we need to be concerned with is IAT2 after blower temps which no one has an accurate reading for unless you have installed a dedicated IAT sensor that can be read out on a standalone system which I have. My actual IAT2 temps post blower read through my zietronix ZT-2 system with fans on are 145 f in traffic or trolling around stop and go.

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The onboard gauge as you call it in the center stack will tell you nothing about the temps we are talking about becuase it's read from the MAF at the inlet IAT1. IAT1 will not be affected by the fans, the only thing affecting it is ambient temps and engine temps under the hood. What we need to be concerned with is IAT2 after blower temps which no one has an accurate reading for unless you have installed a dedicated IAT sensor that can be read out on a standalone system which I have. My actual IAT2 temps post blower read through my zietronix ZT-2 system with fans on are 145 f in traffic or trolling around stop and go.
I really need to get the ZT-2 system.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I really need to get the ZT-2 system.
I also use it to log very accurate boost and vacuum answe. The ZT-2 is compatible with the Ngauge which is what I use. The Ngauge is setup with PID's to display several ZT-2 functions.
Sponsored