Sponsored

Are 6mm ( or 1/4 inch) spacer safe on GT PP 2018 oem stud.

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Or I should go with 5mm to be safer on the front of my gt pp 2018?
Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I’ve been running 1/4 inch spacers a few years and I beat my car like this:

lugs torques to 140 ft lb. no signs of issues so far. Worth noting that I’ve killed two wheel bearings so far. If the studs are stronger than the bearing, that’s good enough.

OP
OP

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
That is reassuring to say the least! lol

Do you mind telling me which spacer you are using and where to find them? Are they hub centric?

Many thanks.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
That is reassuring to say the least! lol

Do you mind telling me which spacer you are using and where to find them? Are they hub centric?

Many thanks.
eBay hubcentric spacers. It’s just CNC plate aluminum, so really hard to screw up.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It's right on the edge of the minimum safe thread engagement (thus why 5 mm is recommended). There is a margin of safety in that calculation of course, but there's also material tolerances, variation and torque wrench calibration variation. I would absolutely not go thicker than that on stock studs.
It was almost exactly the minimum recommended thread engagement after torquing when I checked it...Not my favorite, but I have caliper rub issues.

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Spacers should be solid aluminum and not artificially lightened. My solid spacers are still pretty smooshed from the clamping forces.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Those look like the spacers I have. Please double check the numbers as I don’t remember the hub bore or bolt pattern.

OP
OP

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Thanks! Appreciate your help.

Sponsored

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
It's a 1mm difference. I promise your eye won't see a 1mm difference, but it's a 20% difference on your stud...I'm sure you'll be fine, but if the decision is between 5-6, I'd just go 5 to be "extra" safe.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
cheapest source that has good quality, but ok I haven't measured flatness on a surface plate or mic'd them for accuracy.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/wheel-spacer-black-5-lug-pair-1965-1973-1994-2020/p/WHSP26-V/

I got some 3 and 5mm from eBay that were like $10 a pair and were done VERY nicely.
The centering lip is only 9mm tall. The wheel recess has a significant chamfer (2mm+) so the alignment bore is even further recessed. With a 6mm you've barely got enough material left to engage wheel bore to align it on-axis.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Spacers should be solid aluminum and not artificially lightened. My solid spacers are still pretty smooshed from the clamping forces.
You know I was wondering why Wehrs and @Optimum Performance lightened theirs.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/weh-wm143750

I thought the whole point was clamping load. Why make it a 'point' load instead of utilizing the entire friction surface? With holes like that you're losing at both interfaces. 150 grams or so is hardly worth saving IMO.

Edit: Hmm was the theory that since the wheel already has pockets, to just mirror them? I guess that makes sense. I'd still prefer that the back face of the spacer was flat and continuous. I designed some universal spacers of my own (fits both Camaro and Mustang) but the cost was prohibitive even if still 25% less than OPM or Eibach's.

Last edited:

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
As long as the holes are chamfered, you're not losing much strength and they may even be stronger. I read an article years ago on a renowned Japanese tuner that shaved a lot of weight off on an S2000 chassis by removing material throughout the chassis and structural components by "removing" metal and chamferring the holes. Just as strong, maybe stronger, don't remember that part. But lighter for sure.

Keep in mind, we're only talking 5mm wheel spacers here...I wouldn't worry about it. I just bought a set of 5mm spacers from eBay as well. $30 for all 4 corners. If we were talking bolt on adapters, I might be a little more concerned. But even then, plenty of people run those with no issues.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
It's right on the edge of the minimum safe thread engagement (thus why 5 mm is recommended). There is a margin of safety in that calculation of course, but there's also material tolerances, variation and torque wrench calibration variation. I would absolutely not go thicker than that on stock studs.

Glad I read this thread...Brian I am considering 5mm spacer for the front of my SVE X500 wheels which are 19X10 ET35, the spacer would get me to an ET30. Just did the FRPP track kit and was hoping the drop would help in the filling out the front end but just not enough poke for me. I am running a 275/35/19 front tire. BTW a pic of my E92 M3 with ET 25 19X10 and the wheel is right at the edge of the fender, trying to get the same look. The M3 is 19X10 and 19X11 both ET25.
DSC_1550.JPG
Sponsored