Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
semi daily driver, i have a 7th gen v6 accord i'll probably be keeping for the winter time but during summer time in IL which lasts about 3 weeks total i'd be driving the mustang :cwl: my only qualms with the 2015 that im currently looking at is that its across the country but comes in at $24k, 50th anniversary trim, but from the pictures the bumper looks pretty screwed up around the area where a front plate would typically go. might be different holes for a bunch of brackets? or just a dirty bumper? but its not like i can go see it and find out since its so far. that also causes concern for what else might be dirty/screwed up and if it was taken care of, as its a 4 owner car but still under 60k miles. doesn't have to be this car in particular though, as cory had said it might be worth waiting until the 16-17s drop below 26k again
maybe the seller can facetime you and walk around the stang ....not a substitute for being there but could help with your decision. I had a dealer do that in 2019 with an out of state S550.
Sponsored

OP
OP
koplebob

koplebob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord V6, 2023 Ford Mustang GT
maybe the seller can facetime you and walk around the stang ....not a substitute for being there but could help with your decision. I had a dealer do that in 2019 with an out of state S550.
yeah it’s actually a dealer too so that lessens the worry on me significantly especially when it comes to mechanical issues since i know legally i’m protected by the lemon law, but there’s also no way for me to necessarily be able to feel the car, feel the clutch, etc since i don’t know if the last few guys treated that clutch properly. it would basically be a sight unseen deal. but yes a call/video would allow me to get up close and personal with the body panels, paint, etc

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
yeah it’s actually a dealer too so that lessens the worry on me significantly especially when it comes to mechanical issues since i know legally i’m protected by the lemon law, but there’s also no way for me to necessarily be able to feel the car, feel the clutch, etc since i don’t know if the last few guys treated that clutch properly. it would basically be a sight unseen deal. but yes a call/video would allow me to get up close and personal with the body panels, paint, etc
Sorry Lemon Law does not apply to used cars.

OP
OP
koplebob

koplebob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry Lemon Law does not apply to used cars.
slightly embarrassed i didn’t know that. although that does scare me a little more i would probably be fine buying from a well reviewed dealer, and more comfortable doing that vs a totally private party deal

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
slightly embarrassed i didn’t know that. although that does scare me a little more i would probably be fine buying from a well reviewed dealer, and more comfortable doing that vs a totally private party deal
Back in the day when we were buying 8 year old 5.0’s for 4-5k a clutch swap was $200. Now an 8 year old 5.0 is 25-29k and a clutch swap is closer to 2k. I say HARD pass and look for a lower mile used auto.

Sponsored

OP
OP
koplebob

koplebob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back in the day when we were buying 8 year old 5.0’s for 4-5k a clutch swap was $200. Now an 8 year old 5.0 is 25-29k and a clutch swap is closer to 2k. I say HARD pass and look for a lower mile used auto.
mmm the manual is pretty much non negotiable for me, i know the stigma with the mt82 but my dd is already an auto and i’d love to have 3 pedals. also heard the mt82s on the 2nd gen yote are stronger than the ones on the 3rd gen but i’m not 100% on the validity of that

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
mmm the manual is pretty much non negotiable for me, i know the stigma with the mt82 but my dd is already an auto and i’d love to have 3 pedals. also heard the mt82s on the 2nd gen yote are stronger than the ones on the 3rd gen but i’m not 100% on the validity of that
2018 is when people were having the shift fork issue. The MT82-D4 in the 18+ cars are also a double overdrive unit, they have taller gearing which makes them feel slower. Many people prefer the 15-17 gear ratios (myself included).

Swap the fluid, do a good shifter and the MT-82 is fine. I have no regrets in picking the manual over the automatic.

OP
OP
koplebob

koplebob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 is when people were having the shift fork issue. The MT82-D4 in the 18+ cars are also a double overdrive unit, they have taller gearing which makes them feel slower. Many people prefer the 15-17 gear ratios (myself included).

Swap the fluid, do a good shifter and the MT-82 is fine. I have no regrets in picking the manual over the automatic.
thank you! i figured as much, i've heard a lot of 15-17 owners say they havent had many issues if any at all with their manuals. good to hear from you too, at what mileage do you think i'd have to start thinking about a clutch replacement and if theres any way for me to tell if its been abused/how much lifespan is left

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
thank you! i figured as much, i've heard a lot of 15-17 owners say they havent had many issues if any at all with their manuals. good to hear from you too, at what mileage do you think i'd have to start thinking about a clutch replacement and if theres any way for me to tell if its been abused/how much lifespan is left
If the car is mostly stock? I mean it just comes down to driving talent that point I guess. If you throw a thousand horsepower at it and take it to the track every week, expect to replace it soon

if you drive one and the clutch is grabbing real high you can expect to replace it soon

OP
OP
koplebob

koplebob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the car is mostly stock? I mean it just comes down to driving talent that point I guess. If you throw a thousand horsepower at it and take it to the track every week, expect to replace it soon

if you drive one and the clutch is grabbing real high you can expect to replace it soon
yeah see thats why i hate trying to buy out of state just to find a good deal, i cant actually go drive it and tell unless i flew out and drove it back but this one's fully across the country on the west coast. if i dont look out of state, i'll get robbed on the pricing but if i do look out of state i have a ton of hoops to jump thru. tough stuff for sure

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes. They’re probably one of the best values of the performance car world.

They had the better of the two manual transmissions, the auto is very stout stock and will hold a lot of power.

The HP difference isn’t HUGE and once you throw some parts at it, it becomes less noticeable. It’s everything every other S550 is. No Magnaride available in that Gen, if that matters, but you could still get the performance package.

Mine has been solid overall. Issues:

Intake manifold runner control failed, replaced under warranty

3rd brake light leaked, easy fix

Clutch or transmission is being funny, have an appointment with the dealer (again) but it drives fine. I have a replacement clutch and flywheel just in case.

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
I can only tell you I have no regrets. Got her in May 2020 for $23k and change at 51k miles.

She's garage-kept, but also a daily driver. Bone stock. I'm enjoying the MT82 - I like this gearbox.

If were going to change anything, I'd have someone put 3.55s in the pumpkin and add Ford Racing axlebacks. But I am completely delighted with Big Bird every day.

20200629_103221 cropped.jpg
20200629_100400.jpg
20200629_103526.jpg

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
As someone with a 15, nothin wrong with a 15. I know some have had AC issues or vibration issues...so far on mine (52k miles) I have not had either problem. AC runs same as it did when I got it back in 2015 and no driveline vibration. No paint issues anywhere. Although these issues would not solely be an issue on 2015 models.

Now...body panel fitment is one...my car didn't/doesn't have the most perfect body panel alignments...mostly the trunk and the hood slightly. Little bit on the rear bumper. Those can all be fixed if wanted. Fitment issues plague all 15-17's and probably some newer ones but to a lesser degree. I've seen many other ford models with panel fitment issues anyway.

Only mechanical issue I've had with the car has been a rear main seal leak which happened around 48k miles and was covered by an extended warranty. I also had them replace my clutch while they were in there for no additional labor fee - it wasn't that worn out, but free labor and a better clutch, so why not.

No MT82 problems - I did have some issues shifting from 4th to 5th at high rpms, but an MGW shifter solved that and made everything much smoother.

Oh and the CMCV shafts can have problems in the intake manifold (an issue with any 15-17 intake manifold). But...that's just an excuse to get a better manifold. Mine has not had this issue as of yet, but I am swapping the manifold soon for other reasons.

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
I can only tell you I have no regrets. Got her in May 2020 for $23k and change at 51k miles.

She's garage-kept, but also a daily driver. Bone stock. I'm enjoying the MT82 - I like this gearbox.

If were going to change anything, I'd have someone put 3.55s in the pumpkin and add Ford Racing axlebacks. But I am completely delighted with Big Bird every day.

20200629_103221 cropped.jpg
20200629_100400.jpg
20200629_103526.jpg
And triple yellow is one of the best colors. I am a little biased though.

OP
OP
koplebob

koplebob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gonna toss some pics of the car im looking at in here for yall to see what im talking about on the bumper - im not a fan of the 50 year trim on there anyway, and it's just another reason for me to get something aftermarket, but if its adding onto my purchase price i can find a better car anyway. the rest of it looks decent, interior looks fine so no need for those pics, but the wheels, you can see some slight curb rash it looks like and also the pony logo rubbed off or something? not sure whats up there. i might just be nitpicking because at the end of the day this is an 8 year old performance car with 58k miles, but still.
93b27bcee3a18f298662ce53fb9a86f9.jpg
98fa21349802951eb37a5b62c7d645a0.jpg
177c11354451464df77cb21a742b3f54.jpg
b0de29d1eef13b10d9a5cd589e11a938.jpg
f61a726ab969baa54cb38acd8c06eefa.jpg
Sponsored