Sponsored

April 2018 Mustang Sales

McShackett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GT/CS 08 Bullitt
Hate to rain on the parade, but Motortrend's recent test off of a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 and the 2018 Camaro SS 1LE wasn't great for the Stang. It won the dirt road drag race, but that's about it. The Camaro had much better stop distance, 8 track time, and lap time. "To put it bluntly, the Camaro is in another league, with legitimate supercars. A 2015 GT-R NISMO held the Streets record—1:19.07—meaning the gulf between the quickest car ever lapped at the track and the Chevy (1.6 seconds) was less than half the gulf between our two competitors (3.3 seconds)."
I thought the bakeoff was an embarrassment for the Mustang. Doesn't change my love of them, or the Mustangs I own, or my 2019 Bullitt order, but for all the Camaro bashers, as far as performance goes, the bowtie has one up on the blue oval this time around.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...-ford-mustang-gt-performance-pack-comparison/
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Hate to rain on the parade, but Motortrend's recent test off of a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 and the 2018 Camaro SS 1LE wasn't great for the Stang. It won the dirt road drag race, but that's about it. The Camaro had much better stop distance, 8 track time, and lap time. "To put it bluntly, the Camaro is in another league, with legitimate supercars. A 2015 GT-R NISMO held the Streets record—1:19.07—meaning the gulf between the quickest car ever lapped at the track and the Chevy (1.6 seconds) was less than half the gulf between our two competitors (3.3 seconds)."
I thought the bakeoff was an embarrassment for the Mustang. Doesn't change my love of them, or the Mustangs I own, or my 2019 Bullitt order, but for all the Camaro bashers, as far as performance goes, the bowtie has one up on the blue oval this time around.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...-ford-mustang-gt-performance-pack-comparison/
Considering the 1LE has better tire compound....and that it has wider front tires than the GTPP1 has rears...the results were exactly as expected.

Everything (with the exception of the top speed run) favored the 1LEs wider/better tires. Why people seem to ignore this is beyond me. :shrug:

The GTPP2 should fare much better, and has tire widths to match/better the 1LE.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Sounds like GM should mail everyone in the country a copy of Motor Trend. That would end the Camaro sales skid right there.:headbonk:

Last edited:

TheOilman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 SB GT Premium PP
I did my part to increase Mustang sales in April.
First time Mustang owner here. The deals they were giving on 2017's is gigantic and I just couldn't say no.

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
My daughters both own loaded SS Camaro convertibles (2013 and 2018) as their fun cars. They love the looks, performance etc.

My son and I both own Shelbys (several). We love them for different reasons.

While I would not personally buy a Camaro, I don't disrespect what each (Ford and GM) has accomplished and as a real car guy I believe you should drive a vehicle that puts a big kick ass grin on your face every time you get in it...no matter what it is.

Sponsored

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
rip Challenger trolls have to hide for another month.

Where are the Camaro sales?
GM will report Camaro sales July 3, 2018 for the second quarter.
They say it is too costly and of little value to report monthly.

I say GM. like all auto makers. uses an ERS (enterprise resource system)
hosted by an Oracle or Microsoft SQL database and networked world wide
by Cisco hardware and network software.

Any grocery manager can tell you how many cans of soup are on his shelves and how many sold yesterday. Does anyone believe GM does not know how many Camaros are in dealer inventory and how many sold yesterday? I do not. The ERS is updated daily. They can tell you how many Camaros sold in April by typing a query in ten seconds from a GM-network computer. Are we to believe they drive a guy around to dealerships in a Cruz with a clipboard and he figures it all out? Give me a break.

GM knows how many Camaros sold in April 2018. They know the buyer's gender, age, marital status, income level, occupation, day of purchase, time of day of purchase, method of payment, criminal history, SSN, address and several other factors that are studied by marketing and advertising managers on a daily basis. GM, by the VIN-Bar Code based ERS, knows how many Camaros are sold world wide on each business day.

So GM has has not gone to a quarterly sales reporting system. They have gone to a system where they tell you (us) what their sales numbers are every 90 days. They know the numbers everyday. It is another way to mask the colossal market failure of the Gen 6 Camaro. OK it is faster, but is more expensive, uncomfortable, looks ridiculous, and generally sucks. OK it is supercar like. How many people need a supercar? More people want the Mustang. Why? Mustangs are down right cool. Just ask Bob Lutz.

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ok so what’s the over/under for their 3 month sales report. I bet their 3 months won’t look much better than our April sales! I’m going with 10.5k for three months.

LightningBlueGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I'll jump on the bandwagon and toot my horn for contributing in April as well. Feels good, man.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette

This is why these threads are funny and no one has been able to explain why the Camaro sales have been bad. If the Camaro really is the better car in basically everyway (better interior, better engine, better chassis, zero issues, etc) there is no way it should ever be outsold by the Mustang even without fleet sales. Out of the box the Camaro is the faster car but it is not translating to sales. That is the million dollar question.

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
12 percent decrease after the refresh is not much to brag about but still better than Chevy! Is it price increase? Weather? Styling? Who knows.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

No one gives a flying f ck what general Motor(s) Trend says. You can magazine race all you want but the people who are buying cars are buying a car they can live with and drive every day not a pill box on wheels that beats your guts out every time you drive it.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
12 percent decrease after the refresh is not much to brag about but still better than Chevy! Is it price increase? Weather? Styling? Who knows.
Car sales are down as a whole more and more people are buying suv's and cuv's

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
I studied this < http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...ck-comparison/ > have no issue with the results. What does a buyer want out of car? If 3 seconds at Willow Springs keeps you up at night get the GT350. A GT can be after market modded to make up 3.0 seconds but why do that? Buy the 350.
Historically GM follows every Mustang model with something more powerful and faster. Mustang buyers never quit buying. What does a buyer want out of a car? Mustang delivers plenty. Drive what you like and like what you drive. I stepped away from "my dog is bigger than your dog" buying the '17 V6. I would not trade for a 1LE or a GT. I have enjoyed every yard driven and don't need 171 mph out of the car. The lower buy price allowed me to keep my '07GT. Drive what u like_like what u drive.

Last edited:

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
I'm questioning Ford's commitment to invest in the Mustang franchise. In this cost-cutting environment, do we have any evidence that Ford is improving quality, investing in new features, etc.?

I'd argue that the existence of the Mustang is wholly inconsistent with Ford's business model and I'm pissed about it. How much longer until Ford sells the Mustang franchise to a Chinese automaker?
The Mustang is Ford's most iconic vehicle, but not their highest seller. If and when the Camaro is axed I doubt Ford will spend the same r&d dollars, that wouldn't make economic sense. I do not believe they will ever get rid of the Mustang, but it will change. I think we will see an end to v8 power and performance with a focus on hybrid and smaller displacement. This high performance muscle car era will be over once again.
Sponsored